1972 Datsun 510 Revival

brodster

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol at the Reynolds Wrap firewall. Nice update Brodheimer. Glad to see you're still busting your ass while you Motel 6 it.

Yeah there really hasn't been any work done on the 510 since we moved into the motel... The 510 is now being stored at an undisclosed location until we have a place to work on it.

However we were forced to do some work on the 521 in our motel parking lot.

those :

510bringindown.jpg

:)

That's what I figured you were referring to. I need to post up more pix tonight.

Currently there are 14" ZX 6-spoke wheels on the car to accomodate the new 280zx brakes up front. Had to take off those wheels you see. Haven't sold them yet. My dad is kind of partial to the old wheels, but they are kind of taking up space.

18.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

19.jpg

14.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

10.jpg

This is where the engine sat initially. A bit too close to the X-member after everything was bolted in. Now it is back a bit.

Also notice in the pic the modified X-member. On my initial measurments, I thought the oil pan would contact the lip of the crossmember. I cut them off and had the edge welded up. Probably not necessary in hindsight.

9.jpg

Had the engine fired up for the first time. The wiring is a semi-hack job. Just enough to get the car running.

Currently the engine is shifted back just a bit, so everything looks a little better.

5.jpg

8.jpg

Day of Canby. I am trying to make some hack job of a wiring harness to get the car down there. It didn't happen, but the effort was good.

6.jpg

Had a nice chalk design on the hood for canby. Unfortunately, didn't make it.

4.jpg

Here is the current state of the tranny X-member. On top of spinning it, shimming down just over an inch, I found it necessary to shift back the mounting holes about 3/8". This helped pull the engine back a bit into a better spot.

2.jpg

Those brake lines, do they runs straight down along the frame rail as opposed to down the tranny tunnel?

Are you talking about the rear brake lines?

It is hard to tell from the pic, but passenger side front line tucks up into the tranny tunnel and comes out the other side.

The rear-brake line goes along the frame rail, and then ties back into the stock line in the tranny tunnel about 4 feet back.

That chalk design is legit... I vote that it becomes a permanent part of the car.

I would have to get permission from my boss to keep it (you know, copyright infringement and all that shit that everyone around here seems to be experts on), but we have something else up our sleeves for the permanant design on the hood. I just had a design dude from work do that for Canby.... and then the 510 never made it. :sneaky:

But, it is still currently on there, so it may stay for a bit until we re-paint again..... or the rain washes it away when we get it back and start driving it daily.

Yeah the rear lines, clarity has been lacking from my mind lately.

That's cool, I keep hitting my brake lines when I replace transmissions, but the ones you've got totally avoid the problem. looks like you are doing everything very clean and tidy, I like :thumbup:

I should have multi-quoted... oops.

The front pass lines aren't actually competely in the clear when putting the tranny in there, but the back ones are a bit more out of the way than before. The front passenger actually rolls up and across the transmission tunnel, so it's still a little sketchy when moving the transmission in and out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cool build,

Yep that silver painted face thing brings back memories. Not of painting silver but, playing the tin man in parade.

Not a parade now i remember Vic had some fetish thing she wanted to explore

Haha, wow...... I'm not even sure that we need any elaboration on this one ;)

So, we moved out of our former rental house at the end of June, and were trying to buy a place, so we dumped the 510 off at The Douger's place in hopes that our transition between places would be short. Well, as many know, buying a house seems to never go as planned, so we ended up living in a motel for 2 months, and weren't able to do anything with the 510 for almost the entire duration. We were able to get over to work on it one, and Brodster got the ride height dialed in a bit more, but there's still some troubles with a vibration around 35 or 40, so we've been waiting to get it back to try to see if it's maybe the U-Joints or driveline.

Anyway, shit fell through on buying a house, so we moved into another rental house about two weeks ago. So, last weekend we were finally able to go pick it up from another friend's place and bring her back home!! :w00t: She's third in line to get our attention, so hopefully within the next three or four weeks there will be more updates here.

But, for now, here are a few oics to tide anyone who gives a rat's ass over. :geek:

Brodster's tying up the exhaust and putting cans on the gap between the manifold and exhaust pipe (we still need to get it welded up since the swap)

IMG_1178_zps43939e9c.jpg

IMG_1180_zpscfe8fd1c.jpg

I think we need a few more cars. I am pretty sure our landlords would shit if they saw this. :rofl:

IMG_1191_zpsf0b4f30c.jpg