1972 Datsun 510 Revival

brodster

LOL.... yeah.  That photo should be circulated of what NOT to do. 

In all fairness, the headliner was still in pretty nice condition, the dent is fairly large up near the windshield, and we didn't have much time or money to do it properly back then, so this was the solution to make it appear straight.  And, at least the bondo stuck as well as it did that thick for nearly 10 years.  But, the time has come, the headliner was ripped out last week and it will be pulled out quite a bit before re-smoothing it in a proper fashion :blush:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

um whats the plan for the roof?  thats a lot of bondo ..... the original applicator musta been really sick of sanding....jesus just spreading it is a chore......just scoop iit out onthe roof,  add some hardner and strat mixing...who needs a bondo board when u got  a roof panel...lol

• Like 2

Jay, this one should start appearing at local meets soon, and then the 521 will be out for a while to get the L20b & EFI swap :w00t: .  But, fingers crossed, both just MIGHT (quite possibly not though) make it to Canby.

The plan with the roof..... well, we were hoping to get more done, but didn't end up getting to work on anything until about 4:30 yesterday (we kind of got distracted bullshitting for a while at a neighboring Ratsun member's place :blush: ).  But, Brody used the angle grider with some 60 grit paper on a sanding wheel, and then I followed with an orbital sander with 60 grit as well.  He finished it up with a die grinder and some sanding disks on that, and finally got it down to bare metal around 6ish.  Then he used a mix of body tools, and mallets to try to straighten it out quite a bit more.  It's proving to be a bit difficult because there is a support piece of metal that makes it nearly impossible to get right up to the windshield from the inside.  Of course it will be bondo'd again, but this time around it will hopefully be a much more reasonable amount :rofl:   It actually was looking far better last night when he closed down the garage. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Adam.  The progress has been slow, but still moving along. 

We 3 of the 4 patches done on the front driver's floor

IMG_1877.jpg

Brodster put me on the task of cutting, shaping and welding the second patch.  I have never welded in my life, so it was slow going, and getting late.  I did a portion, but kept blowing through the sheet metal, so I had Brodster finish it so that we weren't working on it until 2 am.  I'll practice on other shit and give it a try again down the road. 

Shaping the 2nd patch

IMG_1880.jpg

And this is as far as I got welding it myself....

IMG_1883.jpg

Then passed it over to Brody to finish up

IMG_1886.jpg

And we're going to run some PIAA fogs that we use to have on our Subaru in the highbeam bucket, with some Hella H4 dual elements in the outer bucket.  A test fit shows the PIAAs a little larger than the 5 3/4" Hella, but it looks like they'll fit with minor mounting adjustments.

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

And happy birthday to me!! Brodster bought me a Vintage Air heater unit so that I won't freeze my ass off and will be able to see out my windshield while dailying this to West Seattle and back in the colder months :D

IMG_1891.jpg

No oics, but Brody pounded out the roof dent pretty well, then bondo'd if a LITTLE, and it got painted last weekend as well.  Someday I'll drive it again  :sleep:

Well, $230 for the full unit, servo controlled...... pretty much plug 'n play

We do have a stock core, but it's going to be time-consuming, and sure to be costly, to rebuild components and possibly have to replace the fan unit in it, which tends to burn out, or become super weak and no really pump air after all these years.

Since this car is so far beyond keeping stock, this was Brody's decision to buy a nice, new, yet vintage type unit to make it a nice, comfortable daily driver for me.

Yeah, I was a bit torn over what to do with the heater. Initially I wanted to do a stock heater, but then I found out how much new or good cores can cost. Plus the valve assembly is shot and some of the mechanical linkage is missing. I probably could have spent $50 and done a half-ass job, or spent $150 making it all nice on a stock unit. But those Vintage Air units are nice! And I want to keep my wife warm in the car so she isn't all bitchy when she comes home at night.

Having the junkyard between home and work can be a blessing and a curse.....

A blessing because I can stop by and check out the new inventory in the mornings on my way in and score shit on occasion, and a curse because I end up being late to work  ^_^

Snagged this center console with the armrest from a '93 Civic this morning

Image01252013092013.jpg

nioce door panels crocodile dundee.....i likey i likey...i got some left over suede from my tahoe headliner i was thnking bout using as a accent but its grey ....my new dash color aint gonna jive with gray suede...

Apparently you haven't seen our seat.  I did the seat in that silver crock as well, and then the kick panels to match the burgundy.  A local fabric store (Pacific Fabrics) has a badass selection of prints and different types of fabrics.  Pair that with my limited knowledge of how to use my sewing machine..... and voile, fucking Datto interior craftiness! B)

Dude, that stuff all looks so nice!  Haha, I told you I didn't need the alt bracket done, but maybe I'll try to see if we can use it now since you did it anyway.  How's that jack turning out?  And you still have my dog dishes, yeah? ;)

Also let's not forget that these were the last two lines in the email that Jenn sent me when she found the console:

You should remind me tonight to tell you about my experience in the parking lot with two dudes.  Very strange, but kind of funny.

• 2 months later...

So, slowly but surely, things are coming along on this.  

We finally wrapped up welding patches into the floorpans and backseat pan and have moved on to stripping the entire interior to prep for paint.

IMG_2204_zps91de3260.jpg

We used these pad on an angle grinder air tool.... shit's like magic!

IMG_2215_zps1bd04462.jpg

IMG_2218_zps8c354f9b.jpg

And we finally got the sandblast cabinet hooked up and working the other weekend, so I have been blasting and painting parts lately as well.

IMG_2193_zpsf61806c7.jpg

IMG_2195_zps48a14128.jpg

IMG_2198_zpsc5f760b0.jpg