Speed wobbles

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so many things can cause the wobbles. If your car has been sitting for a long time then you could have flat spots on your tires. Like Indy said you could have out of balance tires. Shocks could be the cause as well. When I troubleshoot I always start with the cheapest items and work my way to the most expensive repair.

Flat spot tires will vibrate not really 'sway'. Swaying can be tires but usually a steering /suspension thing.

Mixing tire sizes and brands can cause 'swaying'. Improper air pressure and cause it.

Soft shocks or struts.

Broken springs.

Broken sway bar links.

Front or rear misalignment.

Worn steering box or steering components.

Backfire?? Like out the tailpipe of the air filter???

Ok, been looking into the front suspension and this is what I found.

It looks as though the camber or caster " can't remember wich is Wich" and the bottom of the front tires are much closer together than the top of the front tires, the steering seems good and tight, the tie rods look reAlly good and the shocks are cashed.

So I'm thinking new shocks "already have them" and new lca bushings and new balljoints should fix just about everything in the front.

Did some tuning to the carb and made some adjustments and got some good results but I'm thinkin the backfiring and misfiring is the timing

So. Does anyone have a 69 five10 lca bushing kit and some balljoints I can buy?

Wheels tilting in or out at the top is camber. Wheels tilting out at the top are said to have positive camber. The camber is built into the car (McPherson struts ) and not really adjustable.

Lowering the car body will add negative camber, raising will increase positive camber or another way to look at it... lowering will tilt the top inwards and raising will tilt it out.

Adding 280zx struts to many cars like the 510 and 610/710 will add positive camber (tilt the top outwards)

Well the front is rather high, could that really be all that it is datsunmike? If I lower the front then it will level out right?

Because then I'll just start with my awesome 510keeper front coilover set up and see where it sits after I'm done

Easy to say but much more to it. The strut also has the equivalent of a shock absorber inside. If you lower too far it will reach the bottom of it's travel on a bump and bottom out. This will damage it. On a stock 510 strut you can counter this by increasing the spring rate, (make it stiffer) so it's harder to bottom out, but the ride can suffer. The next thing is to use a strut that is shorter but has about the same overall travel but allows the car to sit lower. 280zx struts are shorter by a inch or two and the car will sit lower by that amount (zx struts also have the advantage of having much larger calipers and vented rotors).... but the springs are too large a diameter and won't fit the 510. You can use the stock springs or add coil-overs. The zx struts will add positive camber so you will need camber plates that bolt to the strut mount tops and allow the strut tube to be moved inward to remove + camber. You can also get shorter removable strut inserts (shocks) and cut and remove some of the strut length and weld back up to match. A lot of work.

Hey, I'll say right here I'm no expert on strut modifications and I've most likely left some stuff out. I have put zx struts (Maxima wagon struts actually, but the zx and Maxima share the same car platform and similar suspension components) on my 710 which has a similar front to the 510.

Have the struts been swapped perhaps??? Pictures of the strut/caliper/rotor??