KA 510 Questions

Uber Deaf One

Hi guys. We finally got the KA 510 on the road last week... been dialing it in and working out some issues. It's a dual cam KA, freshly rebuilt, 2.5" straight through exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, and a custom intake which is the same length as stock.... no other mods. Also running a 3.70 Subaru LSD and some cheap offbrand 195/50/15 tires. Rear alignment is -1.3 degrees and 1/16" toe in.

I'm not really sure how fast this thing should be, but it seems like I should be able to easily spin the tires through at least first gear? That doesn't happen blink.gif It feels quick, but does seem like it's down on power a little bit... I'm going to get some 0-60 numbers tomorrow.

Anyone with KA 510s care to chime in? Are you able to spin the tires easily? Or does my 510 just have a lot of rear grip? It sure feels like it.... this thing grips the turns like nothing I've ever seen, and the rear end doesn't lose grip at all in the twisties.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We checked the timing the other day and it's about 5 degrees out of spec (advanced) but we're still running the distributor kind of in the middle of its adjustment. If we retard it anymore, the car backfires and pops. If we advance it more the car runs really hot.

The weird thing is this thing runs great, very smooth, just seems down on power a bit.

Will check the plugs tomorrow...

Depends on the driver

Yeah, that helps him... :rolleyes:

I think he is asking if that is a fair # with a stock engine/clutch @ 2040 Lbs...

You guys would know best what it should be performance wise.

A lot are saying it should spin the tires no problem just flooring it! Ours does not! It hooks up and goes! It seems to NOT want to spin the tires (hence why Uber is trying to figure out if times are in check).

From a dead stop it pulls hard to 6500+ all the way to top speed! The suspension is set up with equal spring rate, good traction shocks, and alignment dialed in by my buddy at the alignment shop to our specs. Camber -2.5 Front, -1.5 Rear, 1/16" toe in Front. 1/8" toe in Rear, 2.5 deg Caster Front.

It beat my wifes 05 GLI 1.8T 180 hp seemingly easy! Although she wants a re-match with her driving the GLI! LOL

Our best estimate averaging a Smart phone app, and a G-Tech Meter we come up with about 170 hp at the rear wheels, 0-60 6 sec or less, 40-60 2 sec...

Anyone have input?

We are going to get some vids up soon of it running and driving, but it runs GREAT driving it!

...and for a reference, while my 510 doesn't have a KA, it's still a 2.4 4cyl with similar advertised power output. Traction can be an issue. On wet pavement I need to be really careful past 1/3 throttle. Maybe you're down on power - maybe you just have better tires than the rest of us :D .

Can you guys get some videos of your KA 510s spinning through 3rd gear? There doesn't seem to be any videos on the internet of KA 510s, or even 510s in general...

We can get our 510 to spin the tires through 1st 2nd and 3rd if we dump the clutch at full revs.... but just letting the clutch out and nailing the throttle in first gear, it hooks up and goes. Also do any of you guys have adjustable crossmembers? I know if you have lowered 510s with the stock rear crossmember you're at like 3 degrees of camber which will obviously help the tires spin.... we slotted ours and have only -1.5 degrees of camber in the rear.

We checked the injectors today and they are good, no leaks, good spray pattern. We can't accurately check the timing with a light because we can't get the idle low enough. the IACV is adjusted all the way in and it's still idling at 900 rpm. However we can adjust the distributor to where if we go too far advanced about 3/4 of the way it starts pinging, and if we go to the other end of the scale it has no power and starts backfiring. The timing has to be damn close... we're out of ideas. Tomorrow we're going to check the TPS adjustment, compression was checked when we first got the car earlier this year and it was solid. We'll do another test tomorrow....

At this point we're pretty much convinced this is how it should be, and we need to see a KA 510 video or see one in person to be convinced otherwise... :unsure: The 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile numbers seem to make sense, they may not be 100% accurate but they have to be close seeing as we did many runs. I'm trying to get my dad to race me in his '09 Mazdaspeed 3 but he's scared.............. that would kinda help see how well this 510 is running :P

My ka wagon will hardly spin the tires, but i have a ladder bar setup and a limited slip It will actually push the front tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By_T9Q9uGW0

So whats faster, your WRX or your 510 ??

I got a ride in my buddies 2007 WRX and its scoots. I wonder if my mildly build/carbed KA will come close in my 510.

"Should it be faster than 6 seconds zero to 60?"

Really?? How fast are you expecting a stock 2.4 liter to be? It's not a Ferrari. Six seconds is really quick, and you should be very happy with that.

"Burning the tires through 3rd gear"

Sure, if you like beating the crap out of your drivetrain. I have a VG30 in my car, and it's fast, but it doesn't burn rubber through 3rd gear. But then again, I tend to be nice to my clutch.