New "hands on" Datsun Group

"Hands on" Datsun meets  

16 members have voted

1. 1. regardless of location, would you be interested in something like this?

• Yes, I would like to be part of a group like this!
    • No, I prefer to work on my Datsun alone.

Hey all,

I have noticed something at most of my Datsun nights here in SoCal, A lack of Datsuns. My specific group is not so bad. maybe 2 cars per night show. but when you consider the 20 owners there its not much. I'm not passing judgement on any of those dedicated to restoring their car on there own, at there pace it just had me thinking.

What if there were a group of Datsun owners that wanted or needed help with there projects? What if there were a dedicated number of people who wanted to learn about them? I am looking for about 5 people in the Southern California area who want to start a hands on group. No details yet but the idea would be to work on someone else's Dat each week (Sunday maybe) for a couple hours. This way everyone is learning, were still hanging out and everyone is getting there cars further along then anticipated. Some of us have certain skills that would really be appreciated in such a network.

There would be some basic rules of course: each week the person who's garage we would be in would need to have an idea of what they want to accomplish for that day. there would also need to be a ample stock of beer, snacks and music. etc.

this is just an idea so far, of course i am in. 72' Dat 510 wide-body (needs everything) looking for about 4-? more people in the SoCal area. If you are interested just chime in or send me a PM. Any advice on this or friendly criticism is appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds cool....time I can find, its the monies thats slowing me down....

well that's kind of the idea as well. Sanding / priming / wrenching / design / cleaning for a show / parts trading /

these are things that don't cost much (in supplies) and the free labor would help in leaps and bounds. I would love to work on any Datsun as long as the owner was dedicated and had a goal to reach. if your local you should consider this. if your really local to san diego we probably already know each others cars anyway. lol

I really like the idea... I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty on someones project. My truck is no fun to work on anymore, not like when I first started it.

well this is could serve to reignite that inspiration for your truck. Is it true they called it the "Lil hustler"? its in the haynes manual i have from the 70's, LOL.

Just had another thought:

even for people who are not local to greater san diego, you could still snatch up the idea and run with it in your area. If this gets enough support i may even cover the fees to make this an official meetup group. that way even in different locations we could all still share experiences with how the group is running in other locations.

Sharks with lasers you know?

HandsonDatsun.jpg

Sounds like what I wanna do here. Only real difference is, where I'm from, there is no datsun movement. I want to create one. I've got a group of threeish close friends and i want to expand. Two datsuns personally and one friend with one and another trying to buy one. A nation wide club is a help. A competitive group of wrenchers would help more.....

As wide fourteen would say, "I like this"

I do like the idea.. i am one of those that would like extra advise on the datto.. and mostly just more ideas on it.. Im in SD so im super local.. nice..

Im down to work and check out other peoples projects and help them get along with it.. As for mine.. idk yet cuz i am the type to do all the work myself...

I do like the idea.. i am one of those that would like extra advise on the datto.. and mostly just more ideas on it.. Im in SD so im super local.. nice..

Im down to work and check out other peoples projects and help them get along with it.. As for mine.. idk yet cuz i am the type to do all the work myself...

Well there are all types...I myself am a perfectionist but at the same time with the state my car is in, anything helps. I'm at the grinding, sanding, painting phase. some light suspension work needed.

I am sure we could accomodate you in the plan. I sketch and have some talent with photoshop so i would be happy to share some of my 510 design ideas. i have about 12 of them so far (ideas) only a few that i am gonna use on mine. We would still love to have you in the group even if you just want to hang out and lend a hand. I have about 3 so far so a couple more owners and we will set this up. the first meet would be on common ground to discuss how this would work and give everyone some peace of mind. then we would follow the rotation. looking at setting first meeting in the next few weeks. somewhere near the airport area. maybe a Denny's or something.

You have a good idea & i hope it takes off. It'll take time but once you get a core group of guys willing to dedicate thier time & energy it'll be fun. Out here in AZ myself, Steroid & Nevtony do the same thing. We take turns helping each other out working on our trucks. One thing to consider & i did this on my 620...write up a "to do" list for each vehicle & dont move onto the next "to do" until one is done.Sounds wierd but it works & stuff gets done faster. GL & keep us posted.

You have a good idea & i hope it takes off. It'll take time but once you get a core group of guys willing to dedicate thier time & energy it'll be fun. Out here in AZ myself, Steroid & Nevtony do the same thing. We take turns helping each other out working on our trucks. One thing to consider & i did this on my 620...write up a "to do" list for each vehicle & dont move onto the next "to do" until one is done.Sounds wierd but it works & stuff gets done faster. GL & keep us posted.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I dont think this is a new idea per say, but i think organizing it and putting into a medium where people can permanently share there experiences is. It's getting there and i do have about 5 dedicated people so far so fingers crossed.

We have something similar up here, but it depends on need and ability. We get together when the need arises, and never wear out our welcomes. Good times and talk of Datsuns keep the liveliness alive. A high recommendation goes to being close friends with your local Datsun group. Ours meets every 3rd Saturday of the month, so we let each other know if we have the need to get repairs done and we swarm the build like white on rice.

We have something similar up here, but it depends on need and ability. We get together when the need arises, and never wear out our welcomes. Good times and talk of Datsuns keep the liveliness alive. A high recommendation goes to being close friends with your local Datsun group. Ours meets every 3rd Saturday of the month, so we let each other know if we have the need to get repairs done and we swarm the build like white on rice.

Where is your meet at? How many usually attend?

Where is your meet at? How many usually attend?

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/10888-inland-empire-classic-datsun-jdm-meet/page__p__145048__hl__rivdat620__fromsearch__1#entry145048

We get anywhere from 20-35 cars per month. A lot of regulars, so you won't get a handshake and never see the person again.

Its not just your group, its people in general. 2 out of 20 is actually pretty good. We have 250 members here in Phoenix, and usually average about 12 Datsuns to each meet. We've also tried the fix-it-day things, and while people say its a great idea, nobody ever shows up. So its not you, its just how things are.

Well after much thought it came down to this EASY solution. With

Meetup.com we get the schedule, pics, chatting and a safe way to know everyone who would be coming to work on your car. The math is easy: 12 bucks a month for 4 people equals dues of 3 dollars a month, 5 Peeps equals 2.40 each and so on. The cost will always be relative to the price to keep the page up attracting new members. BEFORE anyone jumps on my back about $ understand what your arguing about please. If you have a cup of coffee or a monster while at dat night you already spent more than the dues and for $2-3 bucks a month your getting 5-10 total man hours on your car. Beat that. I have about 6-7 loose members so far so as soon as I get a solid count of 4-5 I will front the $ for the page. Should be tits. Since it's by city I recommend when I get this going other organizers come forward and model it on meetup in there city. The site has receipts for dues so there won't be any shadyness.

Plastic feet pajamas.