FLIPP'N MEGA FLIP 610 bluebird

Burabuda

I apologize for not replying to this thread sooner, but I am happy to inform everyone that I am a second time dad as of Friday morning. Jakob Thomas was born at 0937 PST, 8lbs 9oz and 20 inches long.

And now for the gasoline onto this fire...

Here is how I see it: If someone wants to make a profit on something, especially when they won Best of 1970s Datsun Other, then so be it. It gives me one more good reason NOT to bring my sedan to any JCCS. Why you ask? It appears that all you need to do is import a car from Japan, wipe its nose and wipe its ass, slap a set of expensive rims on it, win at a large event like JCCS and have a prize winning stallion in your stable. I simply cannot compete when I bring homegrown sedan with me to a show. She may look good, but I am not going to bend over and take it in the tailpipe for a set of (imho) ugly ass wheels and have high hopes because I am not willing to play "Barbie Dressup" with my car.

As for the recent crop of 610/Bluebird owners as of late, you are either in the game for the long haul or you can enjoy the ride of having a rare car for sale for the short term, get your profit and repeat until satisfied. I could care. My sedan has been in my life for 30 of my 33 years and you will know when Sarge is ready to make a profit when the gaudy wheels are slapped on it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on zerow. Fuck winning by pocket book. You should get points for doing your own work and building your own motor and not for a one fresh custom install from.... well, u-no-who. Minus points for tasteless rims and tires I can only imagine building a car by swiping a card.... Ka 'Ching!!! "Did I win yet?!!!"

• Like 3

Right on zerow. Fuck winning by pocket book. You should get points for doing your own work and building your own motor and not for a one fresh custom install from.... well, u-no-who. Minus points for tasteless rims and tires I can only imagine building a car by swiping a card.... Ka 'Ching!!! "Did I win yet?!!!"

BUILT not BAUGHT is the way i see it and have done it for years.. Amen....

• Like 1

the main reason this bugs me is not that dude is flipping it though i do think that is wrong the thing that pisses me off every time i look at this car is the fact that i offered the guy my entire insurance settlement from my car accedent ($6250) and he said no then sold it on ebay for half that

Probably cause he figured he would get lots more $$ on Ebay and it back fired on him :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sure he's :crying: and :sick: !!!

Probably cause he figured he would get lots more $$ on Ebay and it back fired on him :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sure he's :crying: and :sick: !!!

The guy should have set the reserve at $6250, and if he didn't make that, he shoulda taken Bonvo's offer. Noob.. :rolleyes:

I apologize for not replying to this thread sooner, but I am happy to inform everyone that I am a second time dad as of Friday morning. Jakob Thomas was born at 0937 PST, 8lbs 9oz and 20 inches long.

Congratulations to you on your recent addition, Will!

I think that the biggest crime here is that the car is beginning to be passed around like a high-dollar whore for deep pocketed scenesters. A fine piece of automotive history like that deserves better than to be just a means for someone to come up. I hope the next buyer treats it like an actual enthusiast would, rather than a pimp.

• Like 1

1. BAT can go fuck themselves for not posting my comment

bush_middle_finger.png

2. these BAT regulars can go fuck themselves as well:

Sid

September 24, 2011 at 6:38 am 0 or Flag comment

Man, 610′s were ugly when they came out and haven’t aged well . The blue wheels? Ugh! An ass for every seat they say!

I remember when the 510 was discontinued and these things came out to replace it. Even then we all thought WTF??

Plow Through

September 24, 2011 at 7:03 am 0 or Flag comment

@Sid I know what you mean. The Japanese are past masters at messing up the styling of successful cars. Think late 90′s Nissan pulsars, 2nd generation WRX among others.

I imported a 510 standard coupe from Japan and it was the best looking of all the Datsuns apart from the Z cars. Still regret selling her to buy a BMW 2002tii which I’ve never warmed to.

Pantos

September 24, 2011 at 10:58 am 0 or Flag comment

wow, from the dust bin of history to total desirable, in the span of what, 10 years?

these 70′s rice burners were the province of poor folk in my college days, who’s daddy’s didn’t buy em a new E30(speaking first hand!)

…not a fan of the wheels.

The above comments are just fucking retarded, you can tell they're coming from 20-30 something hipster get rich shitbags.

People now a day have no respect, seriously. This guy with the SSS should never have gotten a title for this car though. It's

an insult to anyone who get their damned hands dirty.

• Like 1

I was browsing Japan auctions for something and came across this, a Bluebird-U, similar to what is being discussed here.

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f100968503

The relevant details on this auction:

-one owner

-all original

-pretty good condition, missing a few little things.

In reality, probably comparable in condition to the BAT offering. The Japan seller's opening bid is around 500000JPY, or in current exchange rate, $6500.

Let's say you really, really wanted one of these, and why not? I would not mind a Bluebird-U! After you pay for the legwork, paperwork, shipping, broker services, DMV, etc etc you're going to be north of $10K all said and done. You would still be buying the car sight unseen- and there is no such thing as a preserved beauty in Japan, the weather will wreck havoc on any car unless it's buried in a bunker. Anyway, factor in some goodies to do the suspension, wheels and tires as the BAT car has, and you're in another few grand to do it right.

If you were to take away the fact that the current owner of the BAT car got it for a steal, would it be as much of an issue to some? It's unfortunate that he's not keeping it. Maybe something came up in his life. It hurts a little that he's asking way more than what he paid. It would be really nice of him if he were to extend the baton of Datsun ownership and sell it to the next guy for what he paid, but I don't think that's realistic.

But if someone really wants a true JDM Bluebird, this is one way to get one. If you were to get this car for $10K or a bit more, I think you would have done pretty good. Parked in a group of USDM models, this will definitely stand out, let's be honest.

We all put our hard work into our cars; built not bought as many of us proudly say. I think most of us build for ourselves, not for an award. You know what you put in into your car, but a judge at a show may not. I don't think that would really matter to any of us, we're all proud of our rides and no one can take that away.

I'm in no way trying to stir the pot or defend the seller. Thinking realistically, the value of the car isn't $15K in my opinion, but it's worth considerably more than what it originally sold for. What's important is the next buyer gets it at a fair price, whatever he/she thinks is fair, and enjoys the car. :thumbup:

• Like 3

I simply cannot compete when I bring homegrown sedan with me to a show.

You know what? Scratch all that. Betsy is coming to any show she can make it to... RUNNING.

Reason? Built, not Bought.

ok, if a buyer doesn't care that the car was originally $1500 in japan and $3500 in the usa

and that the seller is making $10k on this flip

then that buyer is probably not going to give a rats ass about "built not bought"

likely the same type of guy who'll pay $2k for plastic bluebird 510 grill 1760.gif

[edit] the flipp'r (or his buddy) is obviously lurking this thread as every post in defense of the seller is greened 1761.gif

ok, if a buyer doesn't care that the car was originally $1500 in japan and $3500 in the usa

and that the seller is making $10k on this flip

then that buyer is probably not going to give a rats ass about "built not bought"

likely the same type of guy who'll pay $2k for plastic bluebird 510 grill 1760.gif

[edit] the flipp'r (or his buddy) is obviously lurking this thread as every post in defense of the seller is greened 1761.gif

I gave Jun the plus. I understand folks taking this a little personal. But in other areas, like antiques, it is a good thing to buy low and sell high. I have no problem with the seller trying to make profit.Helll he might even love the car, but when faced with a chance to make that kind of profit, it would be tempting. Maybe he wants to buy a Ratsun and have cash left over!

I do feel for Bonvo though. The one that got away!

• Like 2

So what's the outrage? That the car isn't worth $15K or that someone may make almost 5 X back on his investment, or that such a beautiful car is treated as a commodity? Take your pick but it isn't a done deal yet.

Unless sold by now it's still an asking price.... it may not sell or sell for a lot less. I'm going to wait and see.

I'm putting my 24K mile 74 710 auto up for sale for 10K and when it does not sell will keep it and enjoy it. Like a shitbag! :lol:

• Like 1

im debating on ruining this guys day and posting in the comments that he only paid 3500 for it and threw another 500 at it

Aww I wouldn't do that B! This guy wasn't the guy who didn't sell it to you , right? But my guess is that BAT wouldn't let that post in the comments based on what I have read in this thread.

Really, we all want to strike gold. We all want to be that guy that finds a Babe Ruth baseball card at a flea market in a box of random stuff for $2. The guy might even be a baseball card collector, but if he can flip that card, and get money for other priorities, school, kids, braces divorces, what ever, we shouldn't hate on him.

I guess I have a hard time understanding all the beef with the seller. Did he screw anyone? Could somebody have outbid him? He got lucky. Plain and simple. He was probably as surprised as us. Maybe he bid 10K but no one bid against him?

I bought a vintage Black Widow monogram model at a flea market for $10. Mint in box Never assembled and even rarer because it is a motorized version. Most collectors have never even seen one. I love hot rods. I love toys. But should I get flack if I want to sell it for $200 above I bought it for? Because I am going to ebay it at some point. (Whether I get $200 is another story, but I will try because it is hard to decide what it is worth since it is so rare, like this 610.)

Do I have to look up the def of 'Player Hater' on urbandictionary.com? :D :rofl:

IMG_3238.jpg

• Like 3

lulz my beef with the current owner is simple i kinda feel like he snuck up behind me when i wasent looking and took it from me then throw on top of that the fact that he is now trying to sell it for a profit when everyone on ratsun knows i would have given this car what it deserved if i had gotten it i would have gotten my l20b short block with the efi head a little lowering and a nice set of slots period correct and clean

you know as well as i do, that we ratsuners have a history of contempt not just for flippers, but for greed itself

remember the goof who got hammered when he snagged a 710 goon from under Sarge then flipped it for a sizeabl profit?

there was so much anger and contempt and this happened just when the new classified rules were put into effect

We never found out if there was a sizeable profit to be had from the sale of said 710 goon, and I am happy to inform everyone that the salt has been rinsed for the flesh wound and the wound is healing nicely...a little more of it stitches together every time I take a cruise in my 610 sedan. :)

As for the fire extinguisher full of lighter fluid, I agree that these are mere asking prices and that the asking prices are not set in stone. The fear we all share is that some 16 year old lop of a kid who thinks he's the ish at Gran Turismo is going to see this car, ask both Mommy and Daddy for the money, and as the parents of said loppy kid, will show an outpouring of remorse for neglecting their son for the past 16 years and 9 months and will buy the car so he can go bashing it up on the streets for amusement because HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT JAPANESE TIN! We all have an affinity for the products made by Nissan (with Pride) and wish for such a museum piece to be harvested and held for all time in a museum or in the hands of a capable buyer, one who will not have the car painted with a huge red target for damage on the streets. Let us simply watch and see where this goes. Who knows, someone we all appreciate on this forum may find a way to make it part of their collection and we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Is it known for sure that the car was sold for $3500, or was that just the ending price on an ebay auction. The seller could have decided not to take that, and worked out another arrangement with the buyer. Car sales on ebay are not binding in any way.