Jon's 521 L20b 5 speeed

jon521

Both DanielC and my tranny mounts are a lot lower than yours, I hope it works for you, are tranny mount sufaces(tranny to the tranny mount) are level with the cross member its self, it looks like if it doesn't work because of being to high, you should cut the upper stuff off and turn it over(upside down), and it will be about where mine is height wise. Notice how both of are mounts hang below the cross member

DSCN0991.jpg

TransMount2.jpg

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that now, but when had the original mount still intact, the part that bolted to the top of the crossmember sat lower than where the mount bolted to the tranny, as I have tried to make my as. I was thinking that my mount and the original mount should be as close to the same as each other as possible

I don't know/can't tell if DanielCs photo has 4 or 2 bolts holding it on, but mine is held by 2 bolts, but mine also is very thick metal, it's been this way for over 15 years, and I am not known for driving like a grandma, I haul a lot of weight in this truck and have wore out several transmissions now. As you can see, the original transmission mount has been welded to a thick piece of metal after it was cut the correct length. It does look like it is sagging a little, but I could have bought the truck that way, it had a dogleg shortshaft 77-79 200SX tranny in it when I bought it behind a L16 engine, so all the modifacations were done before I bought it, but it is a simple mod, sometimes simple is best. Try to work with what you have going, if it doesn't work, then turn it over and see if that will work, then cut off the excess. Fact is, it's easy to change things as you go, even major screw ups are easily fixed at this stage, just have extra metal around in case the first way doesn't work.:thumbup:

DSCN0991.jpg

I don't know/can't tell if DanielCs photo has 4 or 2 bolts holding it on, but mine is held by 2 bolts, but mine also is very thick metal, it's been this way for over 15 years, and I am not known for driving like a grandma, I haul a lot of weight in this truck and have wore out several transmissions now. As you can see, the original transmission mount has been welded to a thick piece of metal after it was cut the correct length. It does look like it is sagging a little, but I could have bought the truck that way, it had a dogleg shortshaft 77-79 200SX tranny in it when I bought it behind a L16 engine, so all the modifacations were done before I bought it, but it is a simple mod, sometimes simple is best. Try to work with what you have going, if it doesn't work, then turn it over and see if that will work, then cut off the excess. Fact is, it's easy to change things as you go, even major screw ups are easily fixed at this stage, just have extra metal around in case the first way doesn't work.:thumbup:

DSCN0991.jpg

i will try what i have, i just dont want to ware out any ujoints. i got the transmission in today, and the 620 driveline hooked up to the rear 521 driveline. it looks like i will need a 620 carrier bearing mount, as the 521 rubber is a bit larger. i didnt get the transmission getting exactly sitting where it needs to be, but it is in there. tomorrow i will hopefully put the engine in and bolt up the 5 speed to it so i can tack the mount and then get it welded up over the weekend!

oh and thanks wayno for the encouragement

Edited by jon521

the carrier bearing rubber might still work if it will fit, as long as you tighten the mount down tight when you do put it on. i think as long as it can't move too much you'll be safe. you've inspired me to obtain a welder somehow. that's really good to know too wayno that yours has held on with only two bolts. keep it up!

I got all four bolts that hold the transmission mount support to the crossmember.

I think to get them in, I have to jack the rear of the transmission up, after unbolting it from the mount, remove the drive line, remove the plate inside the cab, and then remove them.

i did not get the engine in today like i wanted to, but i could have. i needed a flywheel holding tool, but our shop doesnt have one and our shop teacher said he'd bring in his person one for me to use on monday.

for the carrier bearing, i think i will need to get the mount for the 620 because there is a good 1/2" gap between the rubber and the top of the mount

i did not get the engine in today like i wanted to, but i could have. i needed a flywheel holding tool, but our shop doesnt have one and our shop teacher said he'd bring in his person one for me to use on monday.

for the carrier bearing, i think i will need to get the mount for the 620 because there is a good 1/2" gap between the rubber and the top of the mount

Excuse my ignorance, what is a "flywheel holding tool"? Are you talking about the clutch disc alignment tool that holds the clutch disc in place until the clutch cover has been tightened down? Your learning a lot these days about datsuns, aren't ya. :lol:

Flywheel holding tool.

FlywheelRemoval.jpg

Very Interesting, I wish I had thought of that several years ago, I guess I am learning also. I just use an impact on my flywheels, my problem is getting them very bolts off once I put them on, as my impact won't loosen them once there tight, it's weird, I have broken impact sockets trying to get them off.

The plate is one piece, and you have to put it on before the flywheel.

i am not sure if the new transmissions are different, but with my old 4 speed, it had a seperate lower piece. i would take a picture but the pieces are at school. also, when i removed these plates from my 4 speed, i did not have to take the flywheel off the get plates off. the top piece, fits all the holes on the 5 speed bellhousing, but the bottom plate doesnt match up at all.

also! i may be picking up an A87 head for a future head replacement

620driveshaft003Large.jpg

620driveshaft002Large.jpg

620dsisolator001Large.jpg

after looking at this, i looks like i need a new carrier bearing. the one i have on the 620 driveline is missing most of the rubber, but i had never seen a picture of one before so i didnt know until now. hopefully i can just use my 521 carrier bearing, does anyone know if i can just switch them? i will try it on monday

the engine is in finally! its nice to actually have an engine back in it, even if its not running yet. i will be picking up another driveline with a good carrier bearing from yello620 and a A87 head from crackerjack on friday.

DSC03393.jpg

DSC03397.jpg

Hey Jon, good work so far man! I've got one of those bellhousing covers, I THINK it's a one piece... I'll check, and if it is I'll toss it in w/ the A87. Keep up the good work.

thanks for the encouragement!

we didnt have school today, so i was able to go in and work for about 4 hours on it. i spent almost the whole time remaking the transmission mount. wayno you were right, it was way too high. even flipped upside down it didnt fit. so i broke it back apart, found a thicker, stronger piece of metal, drilled it, and tacked together everything together under the truck, in place, with the transmission and engine in. it made everything fit alot better. now it will only be held on by two bolts, like waynos. i will get some pictures up after my brother welds it all together for me.

thanks for the encouragement!

we didnt have school today, so i was able to go in and work for about 4 hours on it. i spent almost the whole time remaking the transmission mount. wayno you were right, it was way too high. even flipped upside down it didnt fit. so i broke it back apart, found a thicker, stronger piece of metal, drilled it, and tacked together everything together under the truck, in place, with the transmission and engine in. it made everything fit alot better. now it will only be held on by two bolts, like waynos. i will get some pictures up after my brother welds it all together for me.

You could still have it held by 4 bolts, but it would just be a bracket that is taller to allow the mount surface to be lower, I didn't make mine, fact is I was clueless about all this till you started asking questions, and then I started getting curious about it myself and posted a couple photos, DanielC really showed us how to do it with his photo, his is held on with four bolts, you just can't tell in his photo.

You could still have it held by 4 bolts, but it would just be a bracket that is taller to allow the mount surface to be lower, I didn't make mine, fact is I was clueless about all this till you started asking questions, and then I started getting curious about it myself and posted a couple photos, DanielC really showed us how to do it with his photo, his is held on with four bolts, you just can't tell in his photo.

his is nice because he used a L shaped piece of metal, which I didnt have. i could have made mine to bolt on with 4 bolts, but it would have but it would have been pretty difficult with the transmission in there. with the transmission in, you cant see the top of the crossmember where the holes on the top for the mount are, so its hard to get the drilling aligned correctly and tacking togething wouldnt have been fun. L shape piece of metal would have been great though

his is nice because he used a L shaped piece of metal, which I didnt have. i could have made mine to bolt on with 4 bolts, but it would have but it would have been pretty difficult with the transmission in there. with the transmission in, you cant see the top of the crossmember where the holes on the top for the mount are, so its hard to get the drilling aligned correctly and tacking togething wouldnt have been fun. L shape piece of metal would have been great though

My tranny mount has held up over the years, and I beat the shit out of that truck. I think I am upgrading my front disc brakes to HB type, the 620 type just isn't making the grade.

picked up some parts this evening :) thanks to Jason and Chris! I got the front half of a 620 driveline from Jason with a good carrier bearing, way better than the one on my other driveline! I also picked up a A87 head from Chris. I plan on rebuilding the head and putting it on sometime in the future, not right away.

the goods

DSC03402.jpg

bent intake valve on #4?

DSC03403.jpg

DSC03405.jpg

and thanks to jason i got one of these! thanks man!

DSC03407.jpg

so i would like your guys' opinions on something. Crackjack kindly threw in the 1 piece transmission plate with the A87 head i got from him. i used the 2 piece plate off my old 4 speed, but only the piece fits, the bottom piece would too work if i drilled new holes in it, before i got this new plate from him. the problem is that to put this new 1 piece plate on, i would have to unbolt the trans, take the clutch off, and take the flywheel off. SO should i just drill holes in the bottom piece to match or take everything down there apart again?

thanks