Jon's 521 L20b 5 speeed

jon521

well i drove it home today :) feels pretty damn good! there is a very noticeable amount of power difference, very happy i took the time and money to do it! it took way longer than it should have to do it, but it was worth every minute. i havent taken it out to any country road yet to stretch its legs, but that will come as soon as we get some drier weather around here. it doesnt smoke at all, and as far as i know there are no coolant, oil, or exhaust leaks, and that feels good. i still have a few things i need to do, wire the transmission up, fix my speedo, and a few other things. i eventually want to get an electric fan and a new radiator too. I want to thank everyone who has helped me out with this, particulary wayno, yello620, crackerjack, danielc, and hessianben, and i want to thank the whole Ratsun community, i have learned a lot and still have much to learn. i will continue this thread as i do the peanut head swap, and whatever else that may come up (disc brakes????)

Thanks,

Jon

• Like 1
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good, glad to here things are better than they were before, it was the best upgrade I ever made, and it lasted me for over a decade, the truck changed around the engine, but the engine remained the same till the recent LZ23, which was another upgrade.

Disc brakes are going to be another upgrade, things got more predictable, maybe that isn't the right way to say it, it was predictable before, if I slammed on the brakes at hiway speed(over 40mph) I would do a counter clockwise spin and always ended up pointed the wrong direction.

I really couldn't tell you if the disc brakes I had were better than the drum brakes, as I never hauled mass amounts of weight with the drum brakes, and I don't remember anymore, but I can tell you that the vented rotors are better than the nonvented rotors, at least with the dual piston calipers I have now that I bought from yello620, yes I have come to the conclusion that they are better Jason, even without the dual reservoir master.

I think you will notice a big differance powerwise on the hiway, that is where I noticed the biggest improvement, I could actually pass going up hill.:P Now don't start getting tickets for speeding, which will be easier to do now. :lol:

ya, i noticed a huge difference today! i drove it out some country roads and got it into 5 :) no speedo so i dont know how fast i was going but it sure felt way better than that L16 4 speed! man, i have the biggest, stupidest smile on my face as i started to take off on the country road, and when i hit 5th, i let out whoop. i love my 521 :)

• 1 month later...

So, oics of the new steering wheel or it's off a Honduh :P

haha right on me. i need to get a horn buttom then ill put it on! ill try to get some pictures of the wheel without it on or the button on soon. my camera doesnt work any more so you all are going to have to put up with cell phone pics! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks wide

and chris, i just need to find a horn button, i need to hit albany jy. you wouldnt happen to have one would you?

Jon, do you mind sharing what they charged you to powder coat those wheels? Or PM me?

$100.80! same price for flatte black or white. they said it would be slightly more if i had chosen a different color. they sand blast them and everything

• 1 month later...

hows she runnin now?

so smooth :) i also replaced all the timing components as well. something i learned: drop the oil pan about 1/4" before you install the front cover if the head is already on, or put the front cover on, then the head.

the only thing i need to look into is i get a bit of a hesitation when i step on it below 3k. i believe its my secondary opening too soon, but i havent really looked into it.

• Like 1