price advice please

love_my_gt

I have a chance at a 78 620 kc 4x4. It has some rust issues, but it's not completely falling apart. It needs floor pans, front fenders, and a couple other small patches. It also has a loose timing chain and a leaking front main seal. It still has the original l20b and a 5 speed. Think it'd be worth the $1600 they're asking for it? I had some pics up here of it, but it looks like they got lost somewhere.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Around her in the NW, i think that $800 is top dollar for that truck. And that is only to get the drivetrain, and salvage a few body pieces.

You are in a slightly different area of the states, and a 4x4 620 is probably pretty uncommon there. So that needs to be considered in the price. You are really only talking about the difference of less that $1000, so you have to decide if it is rare enough in your area to pay the price or walk away and hope another one comes up for sale when you have the cash.

Good Luck, cool truck.

So, it it a cobbled together redneck 4x4 made of 720, Ford and Yoda parts, or is this an original conversion with Jeep parts from '78???There should be a tag (on the door) Does it even drive? $1,600 is justified if it's quiet in all gears, and has obviously been maintained mechanically... although letting it rust like that says otherwise.

Well I'm not sure on that, it may be an original conversion, but it is in rough shape and has been kid driven (not saying that's always a bad thing as I'm a young guy myself and I take care of my things pretty well.).... I offered him $800 cash for it as I hadn't heard back on here but that seemed reasonable. It does run and drive. He said he had $1300 in it and couldn't take a penny less. So I wished him the best and walked away. I told him it was a standing offer. It was just going to be a dd and thus not something I really needed and certainly not something I wanted to spend more then its worth on... it may be a little rare around here, but it's not THAT rare... lol

Right. I have no doubt I could get it fixed given all the resources and experience backing me. I have been turning a wrench since I was old enough to hold one. I just was not completely sure of the pricing on the datsuns. I have a 77 620 2wd regular cab already, but it was given to me so I am not familiar with values. I didn't even know the 4x4 ones were based on jeep axles til I read it up there in this thread. My 77 is in decent shape but the old motor in it is worn smooth out. I am soon to start a ka24de conversion on it.

I'll check back with the guy but I don't think he'll come off it much. He said he's got $1300 in it and won't go a penny lower then that.Who knows... later on he might change his mind lol. I think it'd be a fun little toy especially in the winters here in Oklahoma.

I thought about taking the body from mine and puttin it on a toyota frame, but I love the ka idea a little too much lol.

I'll see what happens... I wouldn't mind having the truck thats for sure... hopefully he'll come around. If not I'll just stick to building my ka24de powered truck and driving my 3000gt lol...I'm knee deep in jap vehicles.. which is odd since I started out with muscle cars. I also still have my frist car from high school ... a 1971 amc javelin. It's a garage queen though.

crawl around it check things out then build your own to factory specs though I would do something about the front and rear diff gearing being different, or have a parts rpice list wiith you and show him what it would take $$ wise to get it so it cold be driven safely. like repairing the floor pan materials + time + equipment that is an easy $500 off his asking price, and go from there

we're down to $1000. He/ his family own a salvage, and are very in to cars and restoration projects. So he's quite aware of the costs and time to fix it right. I think IF I buy it i will probably go get a 78 cj7 rear axle to put under it that way the gearing is the same. Sound about right?

we're down to $1000. He/ his family own a salvage, and are very in to cars and restoration projects. So he's quite aware of the costs and time to fix it right. I think IF I buy it i will probably go get a 78 cj7 rear axle to put under it that way the gearing is the same. Sound about right?

72-78's were the narrow (50.5" iirc) axle with one- piece shafts. before that they had tapered hubs that bolted on, and after 78 they got wider. 72 -75's came standard w/ 3.73's- with optional gearing going both higher and lower. What gears are in it now? With that Dana 44 in there you'll have an indestructible axle relative to the rest of the drivetrain, and have parts availablity til the end of time (12/21/2012)....:lol: