If you had a 510, and unlimited funds...

JPE16

Nice Rotary 13B Datsun 510!!! Rotary Rocket in the house!

Thanks Rotarito, your 13B 510 is one of my favorite of all time. your turbo and my nitrous!!! who will win? I am doing my quarter mile runs this september with new tunning and 100 SHOT of NOS, we'll see :)

What kind of rear end are you running? I am running R180 and have a spare R160 and have CV jonts from Troy ermish racing, Wilwood brakes and custom everything in the arms, I think I did 300Zz with 5" race wheels studs. BRAP BRAP BRAP!!!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Rotarito, your 13B 510 is one of my favorite of all time. your turbo and my nitrous!!! who will win? I am doing my quarter mile runs this september with new tunning and 100 SHOT of NOS, we'll see :)

What kind of rear end are you running? I am running R180 and have a spare R160 and have CV jonts from Troy ermish racing, Wilwood brakes and custom everything in the arms, I think I did 300Zz with 5" race wheels studs. BRAP BRAP BRAP!!!!!

Dude your a crazy rotorhead you'll win! NOS on a rotary is so sick. I used to have one on my monster street port with 100 shot of HP. My 510 kick so hard that 99 percent of the time I have to hold on tight on the steering wheel to keep it straight. I did blowout my drive shaft u-joint on both ends and the u-joints on my half shaft 3 times after messing around with the NOS racing. Now its bullet proof got me a custom make V8 drive shaft. I have a WRX 180 LSD with Troy Ermish CV joints that I really love that is much stronger than the stock half shaft. More direct power to the wheels. I do baby my rearend a little. If it blows out I will get a R200 LSD from the Z cars. Still bolts on. I don't want to fabricate any other rearends in I really like that stock look with big HP. Let me know your 1/4 secs! Mine was 12.97 sec. on stock tires that's when I blow out my drive shaft. That's is with a monster st-port with 100 shot of NOS. I need to try it again with slicks and my turbo setup. I feel the turbo is faster and will break my rearend to pieces. Have fun dragging and hope you don't split your car in half. LOL!

Mid-mounted Twin turbo V6. Right where the back seat is. 50/50 split and oodles of power. That's the only thing I don't like about the 510, they aren't weighted nearly as well as a Miata.

So many things I would want to do!

With an unlimited budget I'd get high temp tooling made to make doors, hoods, fenders, and deck-lids out of pre-preg carbon. (mmmm, pre-preg) The issue is you can't reallt layup correctly shaped window frames, so maybe do some extrusions with glass filled nylon or something. (I literally just had this thought, no idea about viability).

I'd probably want to start with a 69 2-door.

CNC'd aluminum L-series block, with an LZ head(no not NAPS, a twin cam, OS Giken would also be acceptable). Up-size the bearings enough to make it so that at race RPM you can get more than 50hrs of crank life. Then, billet crank. Probably 2 liters, but doing a 1.8 might be the coolest. Oh, and hella dry-sump.

Diff? Not sure, given that WRXs have R180s (right?) you can probably get whatever diff you want, but I'm not enough of a diff expert to know more than that I want some kind of slip limitation. Might go with a torsen though, they seem real decent.

Trans, I dunno.Maybe do a 4 or 5 speed but with straight cut gears.

Fuel system, that's a tough one. Hard to beat the dual Mikunis/Webers, but I think this would be cool:

http://youtu.be/R_SkekfNdZ8?t=1m54s

It's a mechanical injection system with slide throttle bodies.

Suspension: so many options, I can't even start to decide what I'd do with an unlimited budget. It'd be stiff, it'd be low, and it'd have really expensive dampers. I really like this idea:

But doing rocker arms on a 510 does seem a little excessive, but man, with a nice set of Ohlins you could really have control of everything.

Chassis: keep it stock plus a roll bar, or maybe a cage, I'm really not a fan of caged street cars though.

Inside: Recaros, Nardi Deep Corn, and Takatas. Black everywhere.

Wheels: probably Watanabes, but maybe some SSR meshies, or something else. With an unlimited budget, it'd probably have like 4 sets of shoes.

Brakes: I love brakes, so I'd probably go to a friend that works at a brake company and have them cut some hats and rotors for a full floating setup. Probably with Brembo calipers.

That's what I'd do, and a lot of that is outside of an "unlimited budget". As far as your plans are concerned (your plans are in bold, so as to be easy to pick out):

13b <= Bridge port it.

Haltech Sprint Re <= I don't know crap about ECUs, I know that DTAs are annoying, and that's about it.

Racepack iQ3 dash <= never a bad idea to have manual backup gauges as well, at least on water temp and oil pressure.

S13 control arms (custom made to adjust track width with heim joints)

spec-v brakes <=Which Spec-V? Sentra or Skyline?

S13 coilovers (i already have T3 upper mounts) <=Do you mean camber plates? if so, they are the same as 510 camber plates. Which would mean you aren't locked into S13 coilovers.

undecided on rear suspension <=Coilovers are good for a track car, but many aftermarket coilovers do not account for the fact that the stock damper (shock) mount on the swingarm is not designed to have spring forces put through it, and so especially on a track car you could fail this mount, and put your car into a wall, so if you go with coilovers, beef this mount up, and maybe devise a way to put the mount in double sheer.

front steer rack and pinion <=Cool, I wanna see oics when it's done.

New cage. I'm 6'8 and the current cage limits seating positions, so I will have to have a new one designed and built. I would like to go through the firewall, and eliminate as much weight from the chassis as possible, while still retaining rigidity. How will adding a bigger cage eliminate weight from the chassis? Are you going to do a cage, and then add speed holes? A bigger cage will definitely increase your torsional rigidity,

Fuel cell and additional swirl pot. <=I believe you want a surge tank, a swirl pot is for coolant. (http://www.sdsefi.com/techsurge.htm)

And from the FSAE forum:

"The swirl pot at it's most basic is just there to de-aerate the coolant just after it leaves the engine and before the radiators, and it makes the radiators more efficient than they would otherwise be. It's also a handy place to put the radiator cap, to add water to the system, to run bleed lines too, to put the temp gauge sender, to act as a header tank, to attach coolant lines to..."

On the topic of fuel cells. Here's a question for your engineer brain to consider (I've been struggling with it for a while. Is it more advantages to put the fuel cell in the stock location to decrease the polar moment, or is it more advantageous to move it to the spare tire well to get the CG down? Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. The lower CG will decrease weight transfer, and so should make steady state cornering better, but the lower polar moment will be better for transient performance, so maybe the stock location is better for an auto-crosser (almost constantly in transience) and the spare well is better for a road course car (more steady state cornering). I really don't want to sit down and run the numbers, so, solution: run the car near empty all the time, and put the fuel tank wherever it fits.

I'm looking for 300+whp, light weight, and grip. I'm completely open to suggestions and input. what would you guys do? <=300 is a great number for a 510, it will take all comers, and surprise more than a few. I think that on the highway, really fast cars and most sportbikes would still have you beat, but that's about it. What is a "really fast car", a guy I know's 550hp Evo, is a really fast car, a stock Evo, is not.

ps. the rotary is almost non negotiable as I've already bought it, and packaging wise it's a dream. <=Even as a fan of rotaries, I still don't like them in 510s, but hey. It is amazing to package, and the weight savings (?) should also be nice. It will also help get the polar moment down, and the weight distribution more even.

Tires are an important consideration for you. If you want to actually do well at the track , you need slicks, probably Hoosier R6s, Toyo RA1s/R888s or something of that nature. But you want to drive your car to the track, and this will destroy race tires. But, you have a 510 2 door. How do you fit a set of race tires in a caged 510? Trailer? Roof rack? You'd probably want a passenger seat but you can put a tire on that, and with a fuel cell in the spare tire area, you may be able to fit three tires in the truck.

if i had deep pockets..??? i would build two 510's one would be a stock look lowered a bit, but the motor would be nothing but the best parts in the motor it would be about 200hp n/a 2.3L... rev it out to 8500rpms.... the second would be candy apple red with full drop to the ground and it would have a f22c built for 300hp ? too much info... dreamsss.........

Dude I was there!!! That 787B was so load it was shaking the Mazda HD windows around us. Funny to see people behind the car cause its so loud. LOL!!!

Your right its the original BRAPer!!!!

Like what Mazda advertise Mazda Rotary engine is the only Japanese Manufacture that ever won the prestigious and endurance racing 24 Hours Le Mans up to this day. Its also the only non piston engine. http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Mazda_787B To beat the Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche and other mighty European and American car manufacturer! List of 24 Hours of Le Mans winnerhttp://en.wikipedia....Le_Mans_winners MazdaSpeed won in 1991 then the rules change so Mazda Rotary Engine can't race there again. Its amazing I have that DVD of that 1991 Le Mans race when Mazda past the Mercedes for the lead and won. Just a little history on Rotary Engine and some of the hater that don't know why its popular in Puerto Rico, Australia and old school Rotorheads.

• 1 year later...

unlimited funds no way i would go ca they stopped making it for a reason lol

Yes, they stopped producing it because ridiculous amounts of R&D went into it and it was incredibly expensive to produce because the technology was fucking awesome. They decided to make the SR to cut some costs. The valve train in the ca18 is absolutely out of this world. As of today, you can still get solid lifters, drop in any configuration of lift/duration cams that you want from tomei (2 week lead time) with supertech dual valve springs and titanium retainers. Then just knife edge the crank, balance it, drop in some forged pistons/con rods, fit an oil cooler with engine management and rev happily and safely to 9,000+ rpm.

And the thing is, it's not like an s2000. It actually continues making power at that high of an rpm. You could easily attain streetbike level powerbands with a .63 or .86 turbine housing and a larger compressor housing.

IDK, 350-400hp with power from 4,000 to 9,000 rpm is a fucking sweet powerband if you ask me.

Those parts aren't even that expensive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvZKAtdT5ek&t=4m38s

The guys on "the 510 Realm will help you".

Ratsun we are broke and have no money and mostly fix stock A and L series motors.

We dont have money.

The Realm does all what you want as those guys build the BEST COOL cars. Go there

http://www.the510realm.com/

Maybe we should retitle this thread "If you had a 510 on The510realm"

if i have unlimited funds i'd like to do a full STi or EVO drivetrain/suspension... both are proven and have big aftermarkets already and the 510's body might be lighter than both vehicle's, I think throwing an RB into mine would be crazy but i feel making an AWD 510 monster would be great...

sorry, i know u were asking for specifics but i've thought about it while day dreaming...

-Rob

• 2 weeks later...

if i have unlimited funds i'd like to do a full STi or EVO drivetrain/suspension... both are proven and have big aftermarkets already and the 510's body might be lighter than both vehicle's, I think throwing an RB into mine would be crazy but i feel making an AWD 510 monster would be great...

sorry, i know u were asking for specifics but i've thought about it while day dreaming...

-Rob

love this idea!