If you had a 510, and unlimited funds...

JPE16

Well let me start by introducing myself and my car. My name is JP, I have a background in Engineering and Marketing, I'm 25, and I hate long walks on the beach. I have a '72 510 2 door. The chassis is completely rust free, has a cage, and some other bits. I have A LOT of NOS parts for the car (weather stripping, lights, windows, things of that nature). The issue is that i received this car for my 16th birthday, and have never had the funds, knowledge, or will to do it right. It was originally set up for vintage racing, but due to some rule changes I can no longer race it. So, with a decade of ownership and it never turning a wheel on the horizon, I've decided to buckle down, stop building ridiculous street cars, and finish this project.

The car will see street duty, but I'm fine with a ridiculous ride and harshness. I want to build an all conquering race car, that can also drive to the track. Price is no object. If it takes another 5 years to afford everything, so be it, but I'm doing it right. I would like your opinions on what YOU would do to build such a car. There is no right or wrong answer, so I'd like to keep this civil as everyone has their own opinion, but I would love to have input from people who have driven these cars.

My plan so far is as such:

13b

Haltech Sprint Re

Racepack iQ3 dash

S13 control arms (custom made to adjust track width with heim joints)

spec-v brakes

S13 coilovers (i already have T3 upper mounts)

undecided on rear suspension

front steer rack and pinion

New cage. I'm 6'8 and the current cage limits seating positions, so I will have to have a new one designed and built. I would like to go through the firewall, and eliminate as much weight from the chassis as possible, while still retainign rigidity

Fuel cell and additional swirl pot.

I'm looking for 300+whp, light weight, and grip. I'm completely open to suggestions and input. what would you guys do?

ps. the rotary is almost non negotiable as I've already bought it, and packaging wise it's a dream.

• Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the fall semester start date has to do with anything. Please enlighten me, because I'm assuming you're reading comprehension skills are terrible and you think I'm 16, and as such would rather make assumptions instead of useful input.

• Like 4

s13 suspension aluminum or carbon drive shaft triple rotor new cage stainless 3inch exhaust power rack carbon door skins and fenders, quarter panels, hood, trunk tube front end 350z track brakes lots of rubber and probably do a full tube frame and motec haltech sucks by comparison

i wish i had unlimited funds lol

Well, Here's my Rotary powered 510. I am not sure if there is anything "stock" in this car aside from the shell an misc. lighting fixtures, glass, etc... I personally love and admire all the work ratsuners do to their cars, in all budgets. Some guys can do things other's can't and have idea I could not have possibly thought of.

I am more of a visionary. When I got this car is was a stock looking SCCA race car, gutted, and took close to "unlimited" funds to build it and more so, to make it a streetable car.

It wasn't about the money for me, it was about the vision. My goal was to have a car that was kewl and different and most imporantly, that was FAST!!!. The carbon fiber stuff came from my decision to fit big meats in the back when I hook up my nitrous tank and put slicks at the drag strip. The paint was done at my old ranch's shop, wilwood brakes, suspension, roll cage, fuel cell, CV’s, Axles, Driveshaft, Race tranny, yada yada yada, you could be in the car about $25K and not know it, I didn't know how much I was really into it, until I pulled receipts, calculated hours of time and did the math and daum! (partial down payment for a house), I was shocked.

This is not an unlimited funds build, it is a nice streetable fast car except that and I love the fact that my engine goes "BRAP BRAPP BRAP".

So money can buy you almost anything...If I had unlimited funds, "heck" I would put wings on the 510 make a it fly !!!

DSC02893-2.jpg

Sounds like you have done your research, just go from there. I am not a fan of rotary power since I know almost nothing about them. Also, at 6'8" couldnt you have picked a bigger car? Are you gonna sit on the back seat like the great bubba smith on police academy?

Stay here, the people are friendly and will help out.

hasn't the fall school semester started yet?

Lol i agree i thought it had :)

I'm 25

Fall semester and reading skilz fail. :lol:

The guys on "the 510 Realm will help you".

Ratsun we are broke and have no money and mostly fix stock A and L series motors.

We dont have money.

The Realm does all what you want as those guys build the BEST COOL cars. Go there

http://www.the510realm.com/

This is so true. :lol: :lol:

I have yet to see the hood up on your dime at a show, seems you've always closed it by the time I get there! :( Even BOTH days at Canby this year!

sorry man, i always open it for shows, you just had bad luck. next time we'll see each others hearts :)

Well, Here's my Rotary powered 510. I am not sure if there is anything "stock" in this car aside from the shell an misc. lighting fixtures, glass, etc... I personally love and admire all the work ratsuners do to their cars, in all budgets. Some guys can do things other's can't and have idea I could not have possibly thought of.

I am more of a visionary. When I got this car is was a stock looking SCCA race car, gutted, and took close to "unlimited" funds to build it and more so, to make it a streetable car.

It wasn't about the money for me, it was about the vision. My goal was to have a car that was kewl and different and most imporantly, that was FAST!!!. The carbon fiber stuff came from my decision to fit big meats in the back when I hook up my nitrous tank and put slicks at the drag strip. The paint was done at my old ranch's shop, wilwood brakes, suspension, roll cage, fuel cell, CV’s, Axles, Driveshaft, Race tranny, yada yada yada, you could be in the car about $25K and not know it, I didn't know how much I was really into it, until I pulled receipts, calculated hours of time and did the math and daum! (partial down payment for a house), I was shocked.

This is not an unlimited funds build, it is a nice streetable fast car except that and I love the fact that my engine goes "BRAP BRAPP BRAP".

So money can buy you almost anything...If I had unlimited funds, "heck" I would put wings on the 510 make a it fly !!!

DSC02893-2.jpg

Nice Rotary 13B Datsun 510!!! Rotary Rocket in the house!

Well let me start by introducing myself and my car. My name is JP, I have a background in Engineering and Marketing, I'm 25, and I hate long walks on the beach. I have a '72 510 2 door. The chassis is completely rust free, has a cage, and some other bits. I have A LOT of NOS parts for the car (weather stripping, lights, windows, things of that nature). The issue is that i received this car for my 16th birthday, and have never had the funds, knowledge, or will to do it right. It was originally set up for vintage racing, but due to some rule changes I can no longer race it. So, with a decade of ownership and it never turning a wheel on the horizon, I've decided to buckle down, stop building ridiculous street cars, and finish this project.

The car will see street duty, but I'm fine with a ridiculous ride and harshness. I want to build an all conquering race car, that can also drive to the track. Price is no object. If it takes another 5 years to afford everything, so be it, but I'm doing it right. I would like your opinions on what YOU would do to build such a car. There is no right or wrong answer, so I'd like to keep this civil as everyone has their own opinion, but I would love to have input from people who have driven these cars.

My plan so far is as such:

13b

Haltech Sprint Re

Racepack iQ3 dash

S13 control arms (custom made to adjust track width with heim joints)

spec-v brakes

S13 coilovers (i already have T3 upper mounts)

undecided on rear suspension

front steer rack and pinion

New cage. I'm 6'8 and the current cage limits seating positions, so I will have to have a new one designed and built. I would like to go through the firewall, and eliminate as much weight from the chassis as possible, while still retainign rigidity

Fuel cell and additional swirl pot.

I'm looking for 300+whp, light weight, and grip. I'm completely open to suggestions and input. what would you guys do?

ps. the rotary is almost non negotiable as I've already bought it, and packaging wise it's a dream.

If you are staying with a Rotary 13B use MicroTech LT-10 ECU. Users friendly. Its what all the top racers in Australia and Puerto Rican Rotor heads uses.

Most 6 sec. 1/4 mile drag car Rotaries uses MicroTech and you can buy a MicroTech Handheld computer or mount it in your dash.

Some EX HalTech owners that switch to MicroTech calls HalTech HellTech cause of the difficulty to dial in the HP. Good Luck on the build!!

i have done a few full and partial tube frame cars lots of cages and a ton of engine swaps give me a call if you want or pm me for contact info i love talking out big projects

banzi510: its funny you say ratsun guys are not willing or dont have the money i just had someone tell me the other day on here that lots of ratsun guys have money and do it right

i just find humor in the fact that some people on here are all about the best on there car and others are all about keeping there l16 with 5psi compression running it shows how this fourm takes all kinds and doesent pick on them

rare in the online community lol

banzi510: its funny you say ratsun guys are not willing or dont have the money i just had someone tell me the other day on here that lots of ratsun guys have money and do it right

i just find humor in the fact that some people on here are all about the best on there car and others are all about keeping there l16 with 5psi compression running it shows how this fourm takes all kinds and doesent pick on them

rare in the online community lol

lol not everyone on Ratsun has money to burn on builds but that just makes us crafty ;)

we can do killer builds and still be in budget :cool:

and theres nothin wrong with just rockin around a good L motor.

I do it all the time, Iv got a soft spot for L's :lol:

If I had unlimited funds, I'd go with the RB26DETT fitted out to 3 liters. Plus the entire 4WD drivetrain from the Skyline. Then you could win in the rain too. I would not use the new GT-R engine cause that's a V engine, instead make the classic DOHC inline six sing and beat a GT-R! Godzilla amook!

For a lightweight street/racer, I'd go with CA18DET, 300HP is nothing for the CA, and is lighter and more durable than the SR20DET. Add lightweight struts and modern brakes and align front and rear wheels to win! Add nothing except what is needed to be all conquering.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd go with the RB26DETT fitted out to 3 liters. Plus the entire 4WD drivetrain from the Skyline. Then you could win in the rain too. I would not use the new GT-R engine cause that's a V engine, instead make the classic DOHC inline six sing and beat a GT-R! Godzilla amook!

For a lightweight street/racer, I'd go with CA18DET, 300HP is nothing for the CA, and is lighter and more durable than the SR20DET. Add lightweight struts and modern brakes and align front and rear wheels to win! Add nothing except what is needed to be all conquering.

You have good visions. Exactly what I would do with unlimited money.

As for the CA, well that is my motor plan...

unlimited funds no way i would go ca they stopped making it for a reason lol

2010 camaro v6 all the way gas milage and 300hp stock with a six speed and its 60deg so equal hedders and no firewall cuts unless you are me and want to move it way back ohhh and its all aluminum

ahh hell i was gonna keep that one a secret for me doh

if it were me, id get an l20b, and get it running and driving. once you start driving it, you will know what needs to be upgraded first. then swap in an epic motor. ike the awesome ka-t route. easy, fast, CHEAP. like a whore. :)

but you have unlimited funds...