620 Carnage

CharlieBucket

I came home sunday morning to see 2 giant tree limbs on top of my Datsun. i always feared this, since i have a huge tree basically in my driveway. As you see it's pretty bad. My son always called it his truck{he's 4!} so it is kinda depressing. This truck was the first old car i ever bought. I never drove it that much, as i got the B210 not long after buying this. It is acually still like this! i only had a few hours yesterday, and i couldn't get my chainsaw working. more pics when i get it out!

So i am having at least one crazy thought, the damage is all roof/windshield. So obvious: Cut it off and have a roadster! you guys remember the F-100 in "The Road Warrior" with the boat windshield and the snake on the side? Always like that one!

ipjone182111574.jpg

ipjone182111575.jpg

ipjone182111587.jpg

ipjone182111578.jpg

ipjone182111579.jpg

ipjone182111584.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit that sucks man. Get to cutting. Get that tree off, and make that thing into a chop top maybe :P

If you were in the northwest i bet there would be a plethura of donor cabs, but i bet if you wait around long enough you could find one in your area. Just get it all clear, keep it covered, and get to it when parts are available.

Holy crap charlie!! That sucks!!

You're right on though, time for a roadster! Either that or get a cab and swap it.

Let me know if you need a hand with those trees. I'm off work tomorrow and may be able to find time to help out.

That blurry picture above has been in my mind since i saw the tree on the truck. I knew i had seen one with a cut windshield. i think i can salvage the side frames, but the top part is trashed.

Matt-do you have a chainsaw? Mine kinda sucks, or more likely i suck at using it.

That blurry picture above has been in my mind since i saw the tree on the truck. I knew i had seen one with a cut windshield. i think i can salvage the side frames, but the top part is trashed.

Matt-do you have a chainsaw? Mine kinda sucks, or more likely i suck at using it.

I used a Rotozip with the carbide blade designed for cutting tile. Works fast but the cut is a kinda jagged so cut it a little tall and then use a hand held belt sander to take it down to where you want it to be.

Sadly I don't. More like mine kinda doesn't work. I know you can rent one from Home Depot reasonably cheap.

Sucks that it happened. Guess the floor pans are the least of your worries now lol

I used a Rotozip with the carbide blade designed for cutting tile. Works fast but the cut is a kinda jagged so cut it a little tall and then use a hand held belt sander to take it down to where you want it to be.

This is how you cut the glass, or just the cab off? I will most likely be too scared to cut the glass myself, as i'm going to have to find a windsheild at a junk yard or something. I was thinking sawzall for the cab, or maybe a grinder with a cutting wheel. Thee chainsaw was off course just to get the tree off!

Sadly I don't. More like mine kinda doesn't work. I know you can rent one from Home Depot reasonably cheap.

Sucks that it happened. Guess the floor pans are the least of your worries now lol

I know what you mean, my chainsaw runs great until you try to cut something! Look at the floor pan situation this way. I can recycle the roof as the new floor pan now that i'm cutting it off. Paint matched and everthing!

It's the biggest tree in the whole area i believe. It's 2 limbs, the top one must have fell first and and broke the lower one. It was a huge offshoot that went straight out to the side. That's why it has the tire swing on it. It broke maybe 2 feet from the swing. Funny thing, no storm/heavy winds. And the limbs look alive, green leafs and all. It just couldn't handle its weight anymore i guess. the tree service up the street wanted to charge me $5k to cut a different offshoot off a few years ago. Even thou it killed my truck i still love the tree, it's the best part of my property.

The Rotozip is just for the glass. Sawzall for the rest of the cab.

If the rear of the cab is still in pretty good shape you may be able to replace the roof and A pillars. Maybe do a chop while you are at it. How are your sheetmetal welding skills?

No matter what you do with it now you can't make it any worse so have some fun.