Question... 620 short bed?

suprafast98

everything is robots now :( gone are the days of Wednesday cars......

Having worked there on fri nights and mon. mornings I know this was so true. If I had to choose I say fri. night were worse. That's the time when the line stops and starts more often, meaning some one screwed up.

There used to be an urban legend around town that GM accidentally built a two door car with one driver's side door but the other side had two doors from a four door car. It had to be removed from the line and 'disposed of'. Probably BS but funny.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of urban legends like that, like the nut on the string in the door with a note that says fuck you ford.....that way every time the car turns right or left in the story they hear a thud in the door, then when the service dept finds is they see the note.....

My 1956 Ford Panel had a story like that. The rear drivers side delivery door on a panel has a plate held on with 3 screws in the inside to access the license plate light/bracket. I was the 4th owner and the 3rd owner (naturally, who I bought it from) handed Me a wrench with Ford script on it. A very cool wrench, which I still own. Anyway, the previous owners could never figure out a rattle in the rearend. That wrench was what for 30 years did it!!!

back to topic, that truck in the picture is a 1200 or 1600 UTE...they are unibody's from the factory if my australian friends are correct. i plan on uni-bodying my 620 and with extra frame bracing and using cab mounts for the bed (rubber, allowing the bed to flex with the cab) you can make the body work last a while. i have seen 2 trucks built into unibody's in the mid 90's and both owners did theirs this way and have not had cracking yet (one was a full blown trailer queen, the other was a rarely driven...but still driven truck) there are my .02

On a car the unibody was built that way from the factory.

When you turn a cab/chassis and bed truck into a "unibody" (which is actually not accurate, since true unibody vehicles do not have a separate frame) you are taking what had originally been a separate bed and cab and attaching them to look seamless (as in the picture above).

The problem rises from how you attach them, and how you mount them to the frame. Because the trucks originally had a cab with rubber insulators between it and the frame, it tends to move independant of the frame. The bed is mounted pretty much directly to the frame with no bushings. If you've ever driven behind a pickup on a rough road, you will actually see the cab and bed moving independant of each other as the frame twists slightly. This is perfectly normal with a ladder-frame vehicle. While a bumpy dirt road makes this motion obvious, that same motion to a smaller degree happens just driving down the highway.

A true unibody vehicle doesn't have a problem with this because the floor, roof, etc are usually large pieces that were factory-stamped from one piece of sheet metal then factory welded together. But convert a truck into a unit, and the bed and cab will still WANT to work independant of each other no matter how well you weld the 2 halves together. Eventually, something will give- either the new welds or original welds or frame mount points. You can minimize this a little by adding significant stiffening to the "unit" (essentially tying the very front to the very rear) and by adding rubber bushings to the bed mounts so that the frame can still move a little but won't tear the bed from the cab.

Well i got another question for you guys. So i belive i am correct in assuming that the 78 620 and the 74 620 have no real differances,which is erelivent to my question but one thing i noticed is that not one company seems to make a tonneau cover for the 620. I am wondering if any one has measurement to anotehr truck that is similar yet also has a tonneau cover available for it. I am not talking about the roll up ones, rather the hard fiberglass or alluminum ones. i think if there was one close enough to our bed size, a few custom bracket could make it fit. the only one i was thinking of that might be close is the 86 or 87 nissan pickup. i believe it said it had a 73.6 and our bed is 73.2 long. i might be way off but just wanted to see what everone else thinks, and if anyone had another idea.

I think I might be able to shed some light on the red 620 in question.

If you have a look at one af the pictures I got there you can tell that it has been converted to a unibody from the rough patch where the cab would meet the tub, also one of the pictures shows air lines coming out of the tub which shows that it is bagged and I do not beleive that unibody trucks came out of the factory although they did some halfbreed thing that looks like a duelcab with alittle bit of a tray in the back where the boot would be

photo01963.jpg

photo01962.jpg

photo0196.jpg

04tms069.jpg

sedan.jpg

lineup.gif