Oil Catch Can installation

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this thing sitting around and thought well...time to do something with It, so it looks cool, but i must give it a purpose.

I was wondering if anyone has installed one before and what the best set up was for my 210 a15 engine for placement and functionality?

oilcatchcan.jpg

Somewhere out of the way yet easy to get at to empty. Pass side firewall?

Now you no longer have any crankcase ventilation but just pressure relief. All the combustion products from blow-by stay inside the engine. This is mostly water vapor plus carbonic acidic compounds that condense and form various forms of crud in the motor.

OK for racing motors that don't last long anyway, but even ancient autos had draft-tube ventilation that would draw air through the motor at near highway speeds.

Now you no longer have any crankcase ventilation but just pressure relief. All the combustion products from blow-by stay inside the engine. This is mostly water vapor plus carbonic acidic compounds that condense and form various forms of crud in the motor.

OK for racing motors that don't last long anyway, but even ancient autos had draft-tube ventilation that would draw air through the motor at near highway speeds.

notice the air filter at the cop of the catch can? theyre not sealed.

the factory PVC goes to the air filter and gets sucked backed into the combustion chamber.

The factory PCV system sucks air from the crankcase into the intake manifold and draws clean air from the air cleaner into the top of the engine. From what I can tell from photos, this is a closed loop system directly from the crankcase to the valve cover with a separator in between and a vent (the "filter") to release the fumes.

My head can't contrive a more "proper" system using this without a third line going to the intake. The purpose for these as I see it is when racing engines disintegrate to avoid spewing oil onto the track.

The factory PCV system sucks air from the crankcase into the intake manifold and draws clean air from the air cleaner into the top of the engine. From what I can tell from photos, this is a closed loop system directly from the crankcase to the valve cover with a separator in between and a vent (the "filter") to release the fumes.

My head can't contrive a more "proper" system using this without a third line going to the intake. The purpose for these as I see it is when racing engines disintegrate to avoid spewing oil onto the track.

It has three lines sort of, valve cover vent hose leads to a T with the block vent into the can and back out of the can to the intake manifold.