• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Factory says 600 for a standard and an automatic in Drive. I like slightly higher, about 700.

Rattle? Like engine shake? could be differences in compression between cylinders, valve clearances too tight, the idle mixture off or timing off.

Check/set valve lash. Confirm timing at 10 BTDC.... then with warm engine....

Turn idle speed screw down as low to 600 as you can. Doesn't matter if you can't get there. Turn mixture screw in and out to find where the idle is smoothest and fastest. Usually there is a 2 turn range where it runs best and falls off on either side, just pick the middle. Likely the idle will improve if it was out some. Turn idle speed down close as you can to 600 and repeat the idle mixture adjustment. Keep going until you cannot improve the idle speed or quality. Done.

so i found some hardwood flooring and got an idea :D

and the metal along the side of the headliner will be carpeted

your not supposed to huff the glue! :hmm:

shag carpet!

don't forget the 8-track player! :cool:

i have some nice bubble windows if you ever decide to do something crazy with the cargo windows.

doesn't give me a woody but reminds me of a woody, ha ha.

I wood only worry about it falling on my head while I sleep.

i wood be worried about it while driving.

• 5 weeks later...

hey guys so an update!

she's running, registered and insured so heres where im at with her

something still isn't right..... if i punch it in 3rd and sometimes in 2nd she will back fire every once in a while and it doesn't feel like there's as much power behind her as i thought there would be....?

and when its warmed up after ive driven it about 20 miles and i let it idle there is still a wispy white exhaust not cloudy but it comes out about a foot and dissipates ..?

another thing is at about 65 mph on the freeway shes running about 3200 in 5th gear (dogleg tranny) is that normal it sounds kinda loud...

also my temp. gauge was working when i was still getting her dialed in it would go above the C but not much higher (wasnt driving) and now it dosnt move at all... :blink:

help :mellow:

well check this for timing marks: http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech2.htm#TM

To see if your gauge still works, disconnect the temp sensor wire and ground it. Turn the ignition on and see if the gauge goes up. If it does not, then your gauge either stopped working, or you have a wiring issue. If it does work, temp sensor is having issues.

Definitely need to check your timing.

I do believe so, though I havent looked at my car in awhile.

You can think about when your timing light is suppose to flash, as in like 12btdc, so the light will flash as 12 degrees passes the timing mark, but since this is before TDC it has to be before the TDC mark. If that makes any sense...