the best car show.

hey guys! Which is the best show you guys have been to? How many cars showed up? Reason i ask, me and the wifey would like to DRIVE the Datsun to the west coast next summer for a show. i was thinking jccs, but then i see all the fun you guys have at blue lake and canby. would just like some input. The goal is to have swapped the 5speed in by then, gone through the motor, disc brakes, and a paint job. but wi will start with the motor and trans first. let it be known, it would be a 24 hour drive, EACH WAY, just about 1500 miles each way also... a long way for a datto. hopefully i will have all the bugs worked out, and no problems.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Canby.

2-3 days of datto awesomeness.

I see a ton of nice cars at JCCS but at Canby theres nice ones, rat ones, and daily drivers ect.

you get to camp for 2-3 days and kick it with a ton of Datto/Ratsun folks, see a few hundred cars and theres swap meet spots.

everything else is just a one day show.

see, around here, there one car show. VEry know hot rod builder has been doing it for about 20 years now. Anywhere from 1000 to 1500 cars... i think canby might feel really small. you think a datsun could do the trip? haha and if it doesnt, do i have a ratsun wrecker coming to pick my ass up off the road?

see, around here, there one car show. VEry know hot rod builder has been doing it for about 20 years now. Anywhere from 1000 to 1500 cars... i think canby might feel really small. you think a datsun could do the trip? haha and if it doesnt, do i have a ratsun wrecker coming to pick my ass up off the road?

with thos kinds of shows everyone comes out and theres a lot more American car guys than Datsun guys.

Canby is the biggest all Datsun show on the west coast.

if you want to stay in OR for the week Wed nights at PIR is beaches cruise in and youl see ~2000 classics and exotics and theres the Fri and Sat late night drags there too.

yes, this is all domestics. They do the same song and dance every year. a few years ago, we had about 20 import and minitruckers come, the cops gave them so much hell and tickets, they will never come back. They'd get a ticket for loud exhaust, and theres an open header rat rod doing a burn out a block ahead. Cops around here are dicks to the new generation of car scenes. Except the few younger cops. There actually pretty cool.

well, if im coming to canby, i need parts cheap! So i can get it reliable. I want a set of side drafts, but i am clueless at them, so i figured id just put a weber on. Then when i arrive, you guys could help me tune them. I'd really like to take a long trip with this datsun, and come see some awesome j-tin! get to meet all of you, hang out, lots of pics. :) sound like a great week could be happening for me in a year!

When the Canby meet approches, a lot of the ratsuners in Idaho, eastern wa. and eastern oregon, north and south, start organizing caravans, so if there is any trouble, it gets taken care of. I am sure you could join one of these caravans with a little communication and planning. It seems to me that there were a few major problems this year, a lost clutch, and an engine that gave up, I think the clutch got taken care of in route, and a new engine was found and installed at the canby meet itself.

Yea, not sure of the route out of SD, but you could meet up with us in oregon for a good leg of the journey. Not much we can't do to a datto, from fixing wiring, cutting a wrapped up towel from around a driveline to doing a clutch, we bout got it covered in our lil group. All the other car shows I have ever been to with a datto, the hot rod guys just either don't see the point or pick it apart, at canby the rattiest datsun is celebrated just as much as the best of show, and like skib mentioned, the community is/was the best part of the trip! Be great to meet ya!

Canby.

2-3 days of datto awesomeness.

I see a ton of nice cars at JCCS but at Canby theres nice ones, rat ones, and daily drivers ect.

you get to camp for 2-3 days and kick it with a ton of Datto/Ratsun folks, see a few hundred cars and theres swap meet spots.

everything else is just a one day show.

Were you at jccs last year? There was a 510 that EVERYTHING was rusted on, looked kind of neat

Canby, hands down. Way fun, lots of good people, neat cars. And it's not so damn huge that you can't hear yourself think. Plus, we have hood surfing and frisbee/aerobie in the field. And Smokey and the Bandit on the projector.

I have been to all 3 show, Blue Lake, Canby, and JCCS... My opinion, if you want a show with just datsuns, Canby for sure.. If you like classic Japanese of all types, hands down JCCS. That is a spectacular show. They both have alot of cool rides, one is just all Datsuns, one is a little bit of everything classic japanese...And Blue Lake, nice easy going sunday afternoon Datsun/nissan show, nice also. ...Just my 2cents!!

Umm...canby and blue lake are pretty much the same size with the same amount of cars. Its been counted lol. Only thing canby has more of is the extra day or 2 for the show, but size wise were pretty much the same guys. Only they take place in a fairground, and us at a park. The reason canby looks bigger, is how much mroe thigns are spread otu and people parked, compared to how we do it in lines down the park grounds. Also blue lakes been goign on for like 15-20 years longer than canby. Both are great shows i just dont like this which one is better crap because it starts having people slam the others which isnt fair to either group.

only cause your group is getting slammed :P I keed, I keed

canby is way bigger by total weekend car count not even counting vendors. Blue Lake is a very nice picnic :P

very special place in my heart for blue lake, if it wasn't for you guys the Datsun bug probably wouldn't have bit me

Umm...candy and blue lake are pretty much the same

mmmm candy

Dont know how the hell i spelled candy instead of canby lol. See we dont mind vendors at blue lake. BUT we cant ask people. People can bring things to sell, we love for thigns to be for sale, but we cant ASK people to, because the park would get pissed off with us. So if your a vendor, bring stuff to sell out of your vehicle, just dont go putting up a big tent advertising it lol. I like finding stuff for sale :). Or i should say, if you happen to bring things to sell cough cough.

Reason we dont do a 2 day thing with blue lake, is weve tried it before and didnt like how it came out, and theirs way less of us running blue lake. Theirs a few people from the club, my dad doing most of the putting together, and family helping out because we enjoy putting the show on for everyone. All the money we make goes back into the show and the raffle to put on the next years show. Its why we do it like canby does it, its for the people and not for us. Its all of you that make the shows possible, thats why i dont think theirs a BEST show, each has its up's and its downs. Like if you want to talk size for the biggest you would say north west nissans golden gardens......but its hardly the best lol, it is good but i think its to huge now saddly.

I have been to Canby and JCCS. I was expecting Canby to be a bigger show, don't get me wrong I had a great time and will go back next year. But I would have to say JCCS is the better car show alot of really nice cars and alot of rare stuff too!