Choosing a water pump

So I am a week away from having the time to install my fully rebuilt l20b into the 521 but I need to choose a water pump. I have a bunch of used ones but was thinking about putting a new one in, got a price on a new pump with a clutch fan and it was $80. My question is how do I tell if my used water pumps are good? or is it a no brainer and I should buy/install a new pump?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean yours and install it, check for cavitation. Wont matter to much, just keep an eye on your temp gauge. they are easy to install.

use a good 50/50 mix to help prevent cavitation. using straight water will destroy everything.

Also in addition ,,, only 8-10 ft lbs or pressure on bolts ,,, as I tend to over-tighten things ,,, :lol: ;)

Make sure 50/50 like Izzo Said !!!

Make sure there isn't ANY bearing slow play/shaft play ( up/down or side to side reaching on water pump hub on the outside ,,, then pulling/rotating firming to check ) ,,,

Also ,,, for sure absolutely ,,, make sure there is no water coming from the "weeping hole" drilled into the casting ,,, this means that your water pump is fawked (seals/bearings or both ?) and you will need a new/re-manufactured one :)

Back Flush your Radiator/heater core/block while it's out ,,, ( I assume your engine is already clean :)

Okay, I'm just saying, if you just rebuilt the motor, put a new water pump in. Go through the Altrom line at NAPA, they provide NPW (Nissan Pump Works) pumps at a very reasonable price. Get a clutchless one from a '69ish 510 if you plan on getting rid of the airplane fan. Or just order an L20 one if not.

If you bothered to rebuild the motor, I can't see any reason to reuse a water pump, regardless of it looking good or thought to be good. Follows under an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

,,, regardless of it looking good or thought to be good. Follows under an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure asian tranny's.

:lol: o'rly ?

Excellent said HRH ^^^ ,,, Yes New Water-pump if you can afford ,,, or transfer if you must/have to :)

Beside checking an old one for obvious looseness look on the underside at the vent hole. If there is any evidence of leaking pass on it. This is a common area for a leak. It allow water out if the seal fails. The bearing should keep working instead of seizing from the water getting in to it. Presumably you would find the leak before this happens. A small damp leak is hard to notice here and would explain a slow leak in the system you can't find.

Lwaterpump014Large.jpg

Guest kamakazi620

Atsugi marked pumps are the best.

I would get a 510 non clutch type. so the correct fan must be installed and ck the belt so it lines up.

non clutch type fans are cheaper.

True that ... Also check baxter for price and use the northwest Z account

Ya I broke down and got hte GMB I know its a pressed impeller but it was pretty cheap and right now i just need this motor running as mine is close to taking a shit on me (holds oil about as well as Exxon Valdez). When I am able to sell a few things and get some cash I'll hunt down a high quality one but this should work for a bit at least.