The Multi-State GRAND Datsun Classic

fairlady66

Sorry, I can only bring one...got no trailer and no truck either :P

OK, so I do have a truck....been too busy makin datsuns run instead of fords :P Gotta have your priorities man.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I re-posted the link and information at the Japanese Nostalgic car forum. I didn't see it posted there before, so I hope that I didn't step on any toes. I just wanted to get the word at as far and wide as I could.

I re-posted the link and information at the Japanese Nostalgic car forum. I didn't see it posted there before, so I hope that I didn't step on any toes. I just wanted to get the word at as far and wide as I could.

Not a problem! I know it is listed on their calendar, thanks for posting it in the forum. Lets get the word out anyway we can.

Thanks for helping!

Well here we are just a little over a month away from registration deadline. We have 24 Datsuns registered. Who do you know with a Datsun that needs to be at the Multi-State GRAND Datsun Classic? We have Datsuns coming from CA, AZ, NV, NM, and Mexico to take part in this event (wheres UT and CO?). Having Bob Bondurant spend the afternoon with us is an honor and the Nostalgic Hero a Classic Car Magazine n Japan is sending Hisashi Masui join us; Hisashi is a photographer and writer for Nostalgic Hero. Hisashi is also Japanese Classic Car enthusiast, among other great events Hisashi has covered the Solvang Roadster Classic, and the Annual SoCalROC Show-n-Shine Toy Drive. The Nostalgic Hero will be showing our love for Datsuns to the enthusiast in Japan, and across America for this that subscribe to the magazine.

T-Shirts will be on sale the day of the event (Limited number).

The awards will be as follows:

• 1st through 3rd for over all show

• The Bob Bondurant Award (Best of show)

• Iron Butt Award (given to the owner that drove the furthest)

• Diamond in the Rough (given to the roughest Datsun - this Datsun MUST be driven to the event)

To register log onto www.socalroc.net Registration Deadline is September 29, 2011– There is No Registration Fee, we only ask for Donation of any amount to help cover cost of this event. If you cannot attend you can still make a donation by loging onto www.socalroc.net and clicking the PayPal Donation button on the Multi-State GRAND Datsun Classic announcement.

I believe we're bringing our newest addition to the collection (a secret for now), and my wife will be driving her Z.

I'll throw some cash in the kitty and get them registered this week.

So far 26 Datsun Registered with 29 days to registration deadline. Mostly Roadsters and Z cars with a couple of sprinkles of 510s and coupes. WHERES ALL THE TRUCKS???!!!

Duncan it will be good to see you there and John, I got the Stoogies

Lets get these guys registered!

I Don't know about you but I would hate to miss the FIRST GRAND Datsun Classic in Williams.

Way cool! I may have hit a bump in my plans. The guy that works for me quit and I had to hire a noob. On the up side I got like 38 days to train him.....better be a quick learner :D

We now we are at 30 Datsuns registered. Lots of Zs and Roadsters top the list then "Other Datsuns" and a couple of 510s.... Still no Trucks, wounder whats up with that? We have Datsuns coming from CA, NM, NV, AZ, CO, and Mexico. Now I know there are Datsus in Utah...

Oh and Kelmo, I WILL see you there

Oh, not to worry Chris. I have way too much time invested in this deal. I actually have a contingincy (sp?) incase the boss says no.....gonna kick him in the nuts if he does :P

There is a Dime and a Z that I have been trying to catch up to, but damn that Z is fast

31 Datsuns signed up so far (still no Trucks), this is turning out to be a great event, going to be a lot of fun in a nice relaxing town. For those not familiar with Williams Arizona, the main part of the town is about 2 miles long, at the most, with two one way streets going opposite directions about a block or two apart that take you by all the older parts of town. There is some very cool vintage stuff to see and some neat places to take pictures in front of with our cars. There's a vintage restored gas station (Pete's Gas Station Museum), a cool 50's diner (Twisters) and one of the state's best steak restaurants, dating back to 1946. The city is also the last town in America, on Route 66, to be bypassed by the "new" freeway. Of course there is also the steam train that leaves daily for the Grand Canyon. If you are not yet signed up...Lets get with it!

Log onto www.socalroc.net to get in on the Multi-State GRAND Datsun Classic

I'd bet the reason there's no trucks is because the 320/520's had J-13's and a 4 speed, with a top cruising speed of around 50mph. The 521's had the L-16, but still a 4 speed. All of which make for a crappy drive on the interstate. I know people hop-up the trucks too, but usually not to the extent of the 510 and Z crowd, almost all of which have 5 speeds by now. I've had 2 520's and 2 521's, none of which I would have driven to Williams from Phoenix. My turbo 280ZX, with a 5 speed and 3.54 gearing makes for a great highway car, and is what I'm bringing.

There were never many pickups at Shasta either. It was always almost exclusively 510's, Z's, and Roadsters. Just too long of a haul on the interstate for the trucks. The 510, Roadster, and Z guys build their cars for speed, so the interstate is usually not an issue.

It would be cool to see this turn into a replacement for the now-defunct Stasta meet. In time it could grow. Much like they used to do poker runs at Shasta, you could do the same on Route 66. Both are small towns with good a good atmosphere. Now you'd just need to incorporate an autocross and you'd be all set. The track day at Shasta was difficult to make work financially, and never a huge turnout, so I wouldn't worry about doing something like that.

Hey wait a minute, I gotta a 4 speed(I also plan on spending a whole day traveling the 370 miles) :P

Anyway, sittin at my desk today and see a dark red 78 Z at the corner, if I run I can catch him but I got no flyers close by....Damn. Shortly after a customer of mine comes in and needs some clips, Are you drivin the car I ask, No I'm Drivin the Z.....wait what? the dark red one I just saw? Yep he sez. So I go out check out the Z(nice one BTW), give him 3 or 4 of the flyers and he tells me he is in the Z club and will let the prez of the Z club know about it. So its either the New Mexico or Albuquerque Z club. Maybe we'll get lucky and pull a few cars outta that crowd. ;)

Number 34 just registered! I would love to see this hit 50 before the registration deadline Sept 29! Come on, you now you want to sign up, stop thinking about it and register, this is the very first Datsun Classic Arizona has had. Lets make it a good size one. Be one of the ones next year that can say "I have been to everyone of these".

Still looking for them Trucks... 4 or 5 speed! Tow 'em, push 'em or drive 'em, just get 'em there!

Watkins Glen in New York reports this past weekend 42 Datsun Roadster showing up. Right now we have 35 DATSUNs registered for the GRAND Datsun Classic, with three weeks to go lets see if we can beat that numebr or at least match it. Having 50 would be awesome. So far we have 15-Z Cars, 13-Roadsters, 3-510s, and 4 "other Datsuns"(Blue Bird, Sunny, ect,...). No Trucks still.... if the 4-speed Roadsters and some of the 510s and "Others" are making the drive, its hard to take "I only have a 4-speed" as an excuse.... :unsure: