What to rebuild as a 1st project

lg2

What's the better rebuild and why. L18 or L20. What's carb would you put on it. And what other things would you put on it to have fun that's still keeps it somewhat stock? Like no turbos or super chargers...

lg2

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KA24 is less expensive and makes even more power... since you are going to swap it, there is no reason to use anything less. KA is 3-valve or 4-valve heads which means better breathing than even an L-Z 2.4 hybrid.

Yes, you can build up small engines to high HP levels, but then you can apply the same mods to the larger engine for even more HP.

no offense, but if I had to choose my first project motor, it probably wouldn't be a Nissan motor...or most other early Japanese motors. I would pick an easy motor that has readily available parts you can get ANYWHERE and that everyone and their mom has built, to prepare for the headaches you will have with the head setup and some of the other stupid designs found on these engines.

If you have someone to watch over your shoulder, build a L20...if not, see if you can help someone build a chevy 350 or something a bit more standard first. Now, if you know how to do this sort of thing, or know people who have, then by all means, grab that L20 and get to it!

no offense, but if I had to choose my first project motor, it probably wouldn't be a Nissan motor...or most other early Japanese motors. I would pick an easy motor that has readily available parts you can get ANYWHERE and that everyone and their mom has built, to prepare for the headaches you will have with the head setup and some of the other stupid designs found on these engines.

If you have someone to watch over your shoulder, build a L20...if not, see if you can help someone build a chevy 350 or something a bit more standard first. Now, if you know how to do this sort of thing, or know people who have, then by all means, grab that L20 and get to it!

Really?

L20B.

Not rocket science.

Available parts. Anywhere.

Stupid design? Simple design.

0_21_caveman_0.jpg

Depends on your budget, and if you have any fabrication tools/experiance. Swapping a Ka into a 510 is a great swap,expensive and very time consuming if done correctly. If its your 1st project car, keep it simple or your will get overwhelmed and never finish it. that's my advise, take it or leave it.

Really?

L20B.

Not rocket science.

Available parts. Anywhere.

Stupid design? Simple design.

You are right...a cam gear stuck inside the head is great...distributors running off a shaft that can be put in wrong, and half a dozen other common mistakes that I see on these boards all the time make these engines a GREAT first build motor. Most of the people I work with put this engine right in the same league as VW's and other German cars.

Is it because it is rocket science or bad engineering? No...it is because it is a pain in the ass to work on. My Naps Z24 has a crossflow head, hemispherical chambers, and 8 sparkplugs for better ignition. Even though that looks great on paper, it still didn't make that much power from the factory. A little more horsepower and a timing cover that went up to the valve cover would have made this engine much more enjoyable to own.

When I was speaking about readily available parts, I meant new parts for cheap that you can get the same day, something a local parts store will HAVE IN STOCK...because most people that take the time to do a rebuild don't go junkyard shopping...and sure, there are tons of parts available, but the performance parts start getting pricey(from what I have seen).

Go ahead and insult my intelligence with a caveman picture, but the reality is that the timing chain and head design on these motors is not ideal for a first time builder unless he has someone looking over his shoulder. Can it be done? Yes, but most of the people I see that fix their own cars shouldn't be touching them in the first place, so for me to recommend a L series for a first time rebuild, well, I would recommend some prior experience or having someone with more experience look over your shoulder.

So no, I would not recommend this motor for a first time engine rebuild...if the person has prior mechanical experience or is mechanically inclined or has enough time and money, then it is a great starter engine.

You are right...a cam gear stuck inside the head is great...distributors running off a shaft that can be put in wrong, and half a dozen other common mistakes that I see on these boards all the time make these engines a GREAT first build motor. Most of the people I work with put this engine right in the same league as VW's and other German cars.

Is it because it is rocket science or bad engineering? No...it is because it is a pain in the ass to work on. My Naps Z24 has a crossflow head, hemispherical chambers, and 8 sparkplugs for better ignition. Even though that looks great on paper, it still didn't make that much power from the factory. A little more horsepower and a timing cover that went up to the valve cover would have made this engine much more enjoyable to own.

When I was speaking about readily available parts, I meant new parts for cheap that you can get the same day, something a local parts store will HAVE IN STOCK...because most people that take the time to do a rebuild don't go junkyard shopping...and sure, there are tons of parts available, but the performance parts start getting pricey(from what I have seen).

Go ahead and insult my intelligence with a caveman picture, but the reality is that the timing chain and head design on these motors is not ideal for a first time builder unless he has someone looking over his shoulder. Can it be done? Yes, but most of the people I see that fix their own cars shouldn't be touching them in the first place, so for me to recommend a L series for a first time rebuild, well, I would recommend some prior experience or having someone with more experience look over your shoulder.

So no, I would not recommend this motor for a first time engine rebuild...if the person has prior mechanical experience or is mechanically inclined or has enough time and money, then it is a great starter engine.

L's are the perfect beginner motor.

The caveman was to signify how easy they are...Not insult you.

Not to mention, it's going into a 510.

Are you telling him to SBC a Dime? That will make things easier.

L-series engine is not very simple, but is a rather sophisticated engine design, and Spades rightly points out there are several "gotchas" about working on L-series.

Chevy V8 is simpler. Maybe the only gotcha there is the little fuel-pump rod. The easiest Nissan engine to work on is the A-series, it is easier than earlier Datsun engines, and easier than newer ones. It is very much like a Chevy V8 with half the number of cylinders (and no fuel pump rod).

Are you saying he should SBC his dime also?

Unless you're one-handed, shittin' your pants, and stoned outtta your gourde, the L20 is a piece of cake.

It's like a 100 piece jigsaw. If ya can't do that...

Is it the EASIEST? Probably not.

Is it difficult? No.

He's wanting a motor for a Dime.

You guys make it seem unfathomable for his 510 to have an L.

LG2...Do your homework. Ask questions. And when you figure out what you want...Get some.

None of these motors are over the top for you to get in your Dime.

Just have fun with it, and learn lots.

You can buy a good used one from a Ratsun member $400.

Or go to pick-n-pull and get one for $160 and then compression test it, if it's worn out return it.

To rebuild it, they usually only need new rings. Bearings are usually fine, you can plasti-gauge them to verify. New rings and gasket kit with shipping is $80 from Rockauto.com. Hopefully the timing chain guides and tensioner are OK, you can check them when you get the engine.

yea dood put an A motor in that bitch, be the first kid on your block to have a dime with one.

im sorry spades im sure you much more about mechanics then i do, but it seems like the ease of working on a big block V8 would be negated by all the fab work youd have to do to make it work in a 510.

i say L20

You can buy a good used one from a Ratsun member $400.

Or go to pick-n-pull and get one for $160 and then compression test it, if it's worn out return it.

To rebuild it, they usually only need new rings. Bearings are usually fine, you can plasti-gauge them to verify. New rings and gasket kit with shipping is $80 from Rockauto.com. Hopefully the timing chain guides and tensioner are OK, you can check them when you get the engine.

So just the rings and gasket set wow ok.. Not feeling the $400.00 price though no thanks.. How do we determine if the head is good and so and so? Let's say the tensioner is bad.. What exactly is that..

lg2