What to rebuild as a 1st project

lg2

yea dood put an A motor in that bitch, be the first kid on your block to have a dime with one.

im sorry spades im sure you much more about mechanics then i do, but it seems like the ease of working on a big block V8 would be negated by all the fab work youd have to do to make it work in a 510.

i say L20

You know I was thinking that as well but just did not say anything. Doin the math I said to myself say more cylinders no thanks lol..

lg2

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lg2 - You need this for engine rebuild:

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Your-Nissan-Datsun-Engine/dp/1931128030/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310001041&sr=1-2

and this for rebuild and everything else on a Datsun. Buy "Alive" first, if you can only afford one, cause it covers a lot more systems besides engine:

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Datsun-Nissan-Alive/dp/0912528656/ref=sr_1_17?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310001197&sr=1-17

Some folks find minor fault with both books, but they are a good overview. The same information is available online, if you want to hunt all over.

DON'T buy the "How to Hotrod Your Datsun" book first (like we all did). It has a lot of cool stuff to daydream about, but mostly involves spending bunches of money. Learn everything in the first two books, then get the "Hotrod" book.

Len

dont feel overwhelmed. when i got my 620 i spent some time getting it working right. when i blew the head gasket on the stock L16 i opted to swap in an L20. i went through it and just resealed it and threw a new timing chain in. once i figured out the whole dizzy timing crap, it worked like a top. easy as pie to work on, easier than my trusty 318 Chrysler or even my 305 Chevy. i LOVE the simplicity of an L motor. and although performance parts are getting harder to find and when found more expensive, but worth it if you want to keep a stock look.

dont feel overwhelmed. when i got my 620 i spent some time getting it working right. when i blew the head gasket on the stock L16 i opted to swap in an L20. i went through it and just resealed it and threw a new timing chain in. once i figured out the whole dizzy timing crap, it worked like a top. easy as pie to work on, easier than my trusty 318 Chrysler or even my 305 Chevy. i LOVE the simplicity of an L motor. and although performance parts are getting harder to find and when found more expensive, but worth it if you want to keep a stock look.

That sounds great thanks for the words of encouragement :)..

lg2

Haynes manuals are pretty good, maybe better for a beginner than the factory service manual. Or how to build your Datsun OHC engine from the library.

For the L-series, also get the video.

Kool I have Haynes manual. Which I find is not detailed enough.. I'll look for the other book as well thanks.

lg2

lg2 - You need this for engine rebuild:

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Your-Nissan-Datsun-Engine/dp/1931128030/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310001041&sr=1-2

and this for rebuild and everything else on a Datsun. Buy "Alive" first, if you can only afford one, cause it covers a lot more systems besides engine:

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Datsun-Nissan-Alive/dp/0912528656/ref=sr_1_17?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310001197&sr=1-17

Some folks find minor fault with both books, but they are a good overview. The same information is available online, if you want to hunt all over.

DON'T buy the "How to Hotrod Your Datsun" book first (like we all did). It has a lot of cool stuff to daydream about, but mostly involves spending bunches of money. Learn everything in the first two books, then get the "Hotrod" book.

Len

What makes mikini carbs so great as ppl say. Cause they sure do cost an arm n a leg. Is the only difference in the L20 is it's slightly bigger? Thanks Len I think I have the black book. I've never seen the other book. It's packed somewhere. I'm in the process of moving. I wish to Cail lol.. Instead I'm stuck in WV at least one more year.

lg2

Another thing to study up on is the various cylinder heads. A head with bigger ports and valves means more power. As you are searching for an L20b, you might stumble upon one of the better heads, if you know what you are looking for. http://www.olddatsuns.com/html/tech/head_ID_2.htm is an overview.

Unless your L16 is blown up or something, get your goon running so you can chase all over (with good gas mileage), and have a rig to haul all the goodies home.

Len

L20 is a six-cylinder

Whoa, whoa whoa.

Impressionable mind here.

There are 2 different L20's.

L20A is a six cylinder. It's the first L-series motor. You will probably never see one.

L20B is the four cylinder motor we are all talking about.

Visually, they are almost identical between L16, L18 and L20B.

Rods. pistons, and crank is different between all of them. Also the L20B cover is different.

This thread has all the specs.

But it also has a lot of information above what you're trying to do.

Start with the basics. Don't go let mind wander farther than your wallet will let you.

http://community.rat...ason-grey-info/

With that link LenRobertson just left you above about the head information, and this one I just gave, you should be a walking Datsun mastermind in no time.

Are you saying he should SBC his dime also?

Unless you're one-handed, shittin' your pants, and stoned outtta your gourde, the L20 is a piece of cake.

It's like a 100 piece jigsaw. If ya can't do that...

Is it the EASIEST? Probably not.

Is it difficult? No.

He's wanting a motor for a Dime.

You guys make it seem unfathomable for his 510 to have an L.

No, I do not recommend he swap in a 350 into his 510, I am mentioning that while this isn't the most difficult motor out there, he should do some homework, be smart, and try to have someone make sure he does it all right to save the headache of fixing something later.

This would be my point...if you go up to most mechanics...not your typical derps, someone who has 10+ years experience and has all his ASE's, ask them if they would rather pull a cylinder head on a SBC350 or a Datsun L20b. Datsun gurus don't count, because their love of Nissan blinds them. Talk to someone who works on cars all day and ask them if the timing cover and head setup on these is absolutely awesome to work on.

Doesn't change the fact that they are good motors and fit nicely in 510s! Just mentioning he may want to do some research and help others work on some simpler engines if this is truly his first build.