Thinking about swapping engines in my 1200

datsunrides

Thinking about swapping in a more powerful engine into my 1200, and am looking for suggestions. I like to be a little different, so I am not too interested in a SR or KA swap. Don't want to go cutting the car to pieces, so a V6 or V8 is probably out (although a VH in there would be cool). I was kinda thinking CA18det, but would probably prefer something easier to find parts for. Rotary is probably out as I am not a huge rotor head. I'd like to keep it in the family, but wouldn't necessarily be against a transplant either. Oh, currently I'm running a somewhat hotted up A14.

Mark

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CA18DET is easy to find parts for. The CA18DE is a USDM engine, the turbo version was not. Plus it looks like it belongs there.

238.jpg

Several guys have put GM 3800 in (bulick V6), which fits right in without cutting the tunnel if you use the 1200 automatic car tunnel.

16825.jpg

I would not have thought the FJ would have fit in there so nice. Kinda leaning more toward the CA, but also thinking 4AGE or maybe Mazda B6/BP. Ideally, I would like a smaller displacement, all aluminum turbo/efi swap. I can think of a couple FWD engines, but there are no adapters available( as far as I know)for RWD transmissions.

Mark

4G63 can make impressive power but it's so old! and heavy! And ugly!

At least the FJ is newer and holds its own in the power department.

I think a great swap would be Nissan GA16DE -- 116 HP stock with neo too. There are RWD transmissions for GA too and only $160 at Pick-n-Pull. Just say no to Toyoda 4A swaps, everybody does that.

Mazda B6 is very popular swap into 1200 in south africa. They do love their zoom.

It came in JDM Vanette/Serena and in Europe Serena.

Also GA16 was RWD in Nissan R'Sheen, but is mounted east-west FR. That's weird.

But guys fit the E16 to the stock A15 gearboxes (most of the holes line up) so probably you could use the same for GA16. Same bell pattern as far as I can tell. The racers that do this don't share much info, so I do not know if they weld up from new flange holes, or just run it with a few bolts missing...

22015.jpg

Serena (Nissan Van C23 1992-)

Europe

* 32010-G2N69 RS5W71C [remote shift 5-speed 71-series transmission]

9106-9701 Japan

through 2009 Malaysia

* 32010-0C061 RS5W71C

ga16de is cool idea (we discussed this on datsun1200.com a few years ago)

but the dizzy is in the back of the head

and i doubt that's gonna appeal to mark?

No problem MegaSquirt II can run crank trigger ignition.

Or if you want to run twin weber sidedrafts, you can use MegaJolt Lite Jr. crank trigger. It will even activate the neo solenoid!

The racers just cut a hole in the firewll and let the dizzy hang in there.

You never know. I could always run a SDS with crank fire like on my roadster, but at the same time, adds cost to the swap. I would really like to turbo/efi the A14, but the cost/hp is not very good. I should just go CA and be done with it, but for some reason I *think* I want something else, just have not come across anything that lights the interest. The Mazda K8 V6 is kinda interesting, but I can't find any info on a rwd trans yet. Still waffling but appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming!

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Well, there is no turning back now. Sold off the A14 setup this weekend. After lots of thinking, I believe I am going to swap in a Miata drivetrain. I can pick up a complete good runner around here for less than 1k, are already set for RWD, and there is tons of aftermarket support for them. Best of all, I can probably pull what I need for the swap and sell off the shell, making my investment around $500 or less!

Mark