Thinking about swapping engines in my 1200

datsunrides

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CA parts are easy to find. CA16DE/CA18DE was sold in USA and now are current junkyard years (1986-1989 sentra). I have seen several in the local yards. Plus you can still buy the parts new from Nissan. CA18DET wasn't sold here, but there are only a few unique parts which you can buy from any japanese engine importer or ebay or mail order.

Here's another swap idea: Audi TT engine in a Datsun 1200

12526_4e2db2eac56cc.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, the Miata is not looking so good. While anything can be done, I don't think I want to hack the tunnel to the extent it would requre to clear the trans. The even bigger concern would be the issue of the steering linkage and crossmember. I can not see setting the trans back far enough to clear the lnkage without having to notch the firewall as this would also set the engine back. The oil pan could be solved with a swap to a FWD front sump pan, but there is also the issue of clearance at the front of the engine without having to cut the core support. Just seems like too much cutting for my taste. It's looking like I should be directing my attention toward the GA since it has been shown that an A series trans can be bolted to it fairly easy, saving the tunnel hacking. The dizzy issue can be a problem if the crank/cam angle sensor is in there, (due to the ECU signal. Maybe Megajolt can do the angle sensor functon?) but the other issues look solveable.

Mark

But isn't that the case with the GA also? Crank position sensor in the dizzy? Probably still heading down the GA road, but ran across the E15ET and thought it was different. My thoughts on either engine would be to somehow modify the distributor to only work as the crank position sensor and run a megajolt. I don't think either of my choices could justify a stand alone. I have a SDS setup with a crankfire setup in my Roadster that would easily solve the dizzy/crank sensor issue of either engine, but that runs about $1500 new. :blink: Maybe if I can find a good used one.

Mark

mitsu powered with dual carbs? :cool:

nb 5spd should fit too

I've thought about a MIVEC.............., but not really wanting carbs for this.

But since neither was sold RWD, what transmission are you going to put behind it?

It has been shown that an A series tranny can easily be made to mate up with either.

Mark

It has been shown that an A series tranny can easily be made to mate up with either.

And it's also been shown the A-series 5spd is difficult to find, and can cost big $$$ when you do. :P

But I'm one of those weirdo "why try so hard to re-invent the wheel" kind of people. There are plenty of proven, and (relatively) easy swaps for the 1200. Why go to so much trouble for basically no added gain?

• 1 month later...

OK you guys are missing something ... yes I believe that keeping with nissan is great and all but if it works and is less of a challenge to get the engine in ...DO IT ... here one I did not read about that some one clearly for got about ... the 200sx rwd engine and 5 speed combo ... more HP and a 5spd ... ALSO I would like to know what a fJ engine swap is????? what does it come in missed this one and can't read on that bueatiful aluminum cover what brand of engine it is ...

thanks

david

• 1 month later...

here one I did not read about that some one clearly for got about ... the 200sx rwd engine and 5 speed combo

well, the 200SX in the US market came with 6 different engines in it, so you may have to be a little more specific. :cool:

Did you mean L20b, Z20E, Z22E, CA18ET, CA20E, or VG30E?

I would like to know what a fJ engine swap is????? what does it come in missed this one and can't read on that bueatiful aluminum cover what brand of engine it is ...

The FJ20E (and FJ20ET) came from the Nissan Skyline and Nissan Silvia, plus a few other vehicles. None sold in the US.

Here's one in a 1200:

fj1200ute2b.jpg