How screwed am I.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really know much about the transmission, but it definitely isn't the stock driveshaft in my truck. I started getting some vibration above 40mph so I took the drive shaft off and this stuff fell out.

Beyond screwed~ somebody is (metaphorically speaking) bumming you with a flaming porcupine on this one. Seal's gone, output bushing's gone~ literally. Slide the D-shaft back on and wiggletest it~ hopefully you haven't lost the output shaft and slipyoke as well. Partial disassembly of the trans may be in order to repl output bushing~ so you might want to re-synchro at the same time. More likely than not the D-shaft's damaged or out of balance, it's possible it took a shot goin oever a rock or sumthin and got bent, lost weights, etc.. If it's been like that for a while-and it looks like it has- look closely at the output splines~ if each spline looks skinnier at the end versus middle (longitudinally) it's an old wound, and parts (AKA $$) are gonna have to be thrown that way. You're looking at the very least inspecting everything from your throwout bearing to your pinion yoke. PLEASE don't shoot the messenger....

Is that the stock 4 speed in your truck? Maybe now's the time to go 5~

Good luck,

Scott

Don't worry not going to shoot the messenger.

In other words easier to just get a new driveshft. Honestly she has driven fine for a while know, but I'm betting the PO knew something was up and why he sold her. So anybody got a transmission for sale? lol and can get it to Indianapolis quick? lol 4 or 5 speed.

I would get a transmission and driveline and call it good. I am just freaking wondering:lol: why you didn't feel something sooner, them are tailshaft tranny parts. Do you tow a lot? Seems like it would have been making noises much sooner , but sometimes I leave the rear door down on my trailer and don't hear it anymore either, I used to hear it. :( How long have you owned it? It was a 4 speed, correct?

Don't worry not going to shoot the messenger.

In other words easier to just get a new driveshft. Honestly she has driven fine for a while know, but I'm betting the PO knew something was up and why he sold her. So anybody got a transmission for sale? lol and can get it to Indianapolis quick? lol 4 or 5 speed.

PM'd

Call a tranny shop extension housing bushing And new driveline

Really that easy? How hard is it for a tranny shop to get stuff to fix a Datsun transmission?

I would get a transmission and driveline and call it good. I am just freaking wondering:lol: why you didn't feel something sooner, them are tailshaft tranny parts. Do you tow a lot? Seems like it would have been making noises much sooner , but sometimes I leave the rear door down on my trailer and don't hear it anymore either, I used to hear it. :( How long have you owned it? It was a 4 speed, correct?

About a month, sadly I haven't felt anything weird in the drivetrain the times I drove her. Hell I drove her from Kansas City to the Illinois/Indiana border at 60-65 no problem. Then bam she just started acting funny. Yeah it's a 4 speed, but I don't think it's a stock 521 4speed, isn't the stock 521 different?

I guess the nice thing is since I have a 1 piece driveshaft it won't be that hard to swap to a 5speed.

Really that easy? How hard is it for a tranny shop to get stuff to fix a Datsun transmission?

About a month, sadly I haven't felt anything weird in the drivetrain the times I drove her. Hell I drove her from Kansas City to the Illinois/Indiana border at 60-65 no problem. Then bam she just started acting funny. Yeah it's a 4 speed, but I don't think it's a stock 521 4speed, isn't the stock 521 different?

I guess the nice thing is since I have a 1 piece driveshaft it won't be that hard to swap to a 5speed.

A 1-piece in a 521 is not stock, but it will make the 5-speed transition easier/cheaper~ just be DAMN sure the DL's not hittin the Xmember where the carrier bearing once lived

PM'ed back, as far as I can tell it isn't hitting anything at all. The truck is lowered already so I think that helps a bit.

With yours all I would need to do is

bolt to l16

shorten drive shaft

bend shifter (does it come with a shifter?)

fill with fluid

what about sensors and speedo?

The back of your 4 speed should look like this:

transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

The end of the tranny spline should have threads for a nut. Something tells me that you don't have a 521 transmission on there either. Likely from a 510/710 if a shorty and a 610 4 speed if long.

does anybody have a picture of the stock 521 transmission without that end piece on. Here is a straight shot on my transmission. Think it's a 510 piece, not sure if that is good or bad lol. So could I take the chance and keep driving on this transmission though until I get a new one? my drive is 4 miles and I don't get above 35mph?

IMG_5304.jpg

521 tranny end without the bolt on spline/flange.

F4W63flangeoutputfrom521001.jpg

The part that's broken off on yours holds a seal to keep the oil in. Still looks like you tranny is from a 510 sedan or goon.

That's what I was thinking, but figured the masters on here would tell me. Damn I guess I should have held onto that 4speed I had a year ago lol. Just my luck. So since it holds in the fluids probably not a wise idea to drive her at all then. Damn. Thanks for the help ratsun.

• 1 month later...

F4W63. If it didn't have the flange output (as described earlier) then it could be from a 510 sedan (close ratio) or from the 510 goon or early 620. (same wide ratio as the 521) Either will drop in and work.

IMG_5343.jpg

F4W63 ... 26" long, removable bottom pan with drain, speedo on driver's side, 'A' type shifter, waffle pattern on main body with two piece case reverse light switch in tailstock.

I tried looking at your article in the DQ just couldn't figure it out, I didn't feel any threads on the inside of the output shaft. Hmmm I wonder if that means the tail housing I got from a guy off here isn't from a F6W63 trans then. But if an early 620 4 speed from an L16 works, I might be able to get my hands on one.

Thanks for all the help man, if I could I'd buy you a keg right now.

The '72 to Sept '73 620 4 speed should be exactly the same if it's on an L16. Starting in Oct '73 the new L18 was used along with the new F4W71B four speed.

As noted the 510 sedan or goon is an exact match too, and many are just thrown away when swapping to a 5 speed. Did I ever tell you the story about Hainz throwing a couple of four speeds out on his front lawn with a FREE sign?