Opening Crank Case Vent Tube

Uncle Laulau

Since most of our vehicles are pretty old, they have seen their fair share of trials and tribulations. Not all of these trials have been found out on the open road, some of the most horrible, acts of violence have been acted out upon them in the garage. Yes many a fine ride has been abused by backyard mechanics as well as so called professionals. Maybe it was an annoyed pro who didn't want to be bothered with an old import and rushed a job. Or maybe it was a well intentioned backyard novice that just needed to get to work the next day.(that's me) Wires have been spliced, tubes cut, holes plugged, and any thing under the sun was done to keep em going just one more day. Let us not leave out the saddest category of crazy insane car work known to man. I'm sure everyone can sadly say they know a crack head. It's a said thing, someones mind completely taken over by crack or meth. Mind gone, but energy to stay up days without sleep, to work on the car you now own. We've all seen signs of crack head work. If you can't for the life of you figure out why the heck a human would do what you are now looking at...it was a crack head.

Here my friends is my predicament. My crank case vent tube has been what appears to be deliberately smashed shut with a hammer by the previous owner.(there may be a good reason) Some of you have spotted this on my other posts, keen eye for crack guy. I'm getting the word that this isn't so good for engine life. It may explain why I'm getting so much oil into my carb from the crank case vent. So I'm gonna try and fix it. It's an L18 as not all of the L series are the same in this regard, correct. So let the advise and laughs fly as some cracky work is replaced by novice backyard work. Not a bad trade if you factor in the Ratsun brain trust! OICS!

IMG_9719.jpg

IMG_9720.jpg

IMG_9721.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was me trying to get this off i would weld a nut on it and use a slide hammer to pull it out

+1.

Keen Eye For Crack Guy. A riveting insight into the PNW. Hahahaha.

-B

Power tools! I drilled the crap out of that aluminum. It's a tiny hole I know. It was very gratifying, feeling air rushing out of it while the engine was running, kinda like popping a zit. It's a temporary fix until I get it out proper. I'm going to let it vent to the air. I learned from the interweb that pcv valves were invented during ww ll so tank engines wouldn't be ruined when they crossed high water. I guess engines used to vent out into the air all the time back in the day, dripping oil and stinking up the cab with oil smell. Cool hu. I also learned I need to buy some good vice grips.

IMG_9721.jpg

Ok I'm not a truck guy, but in this picture it looks like the timing plate is on the wrong side? Upside down?

These tubes are debatable....if you have had a L motor apart there is plenty of room for air to move from the crank case, up through the front cover up to the Vale cover and out the tube at the top.

IMG_9721.jpg

Ok I'm not a truck guy, but in this picture it looks like the timing plate is on the wrong side? Upside down?

These tubes are debatable....if you have had a L motor apart there is plenty of room for air to move from the crank case, up through the front cover up to the Vale cover and out the tube at the top.

Nice that's why I love this forum. People have so many different experiences. I get to sit back and read so many peoples ideas, it's so helpful.

Ok nothing everyone doesn't know all ready. So I hear you saying the engine is pretty open top to bottom. Air will not get trapped and build up pressure in the crank case area until it blows gaskets? Or build up into a crazy gunk, start to degrade engine oil with condensation? Those are the reasons I read to have this crank case tube open. So have you seen people do the smash it shut deal before, did the engine seem to last just fine with a shut off vent tube? Thanks so much for sharing this, I'm learning ahhhhhh my head it hurts ahhhhhh.

You want this style for L16/18

L16blockpcv.jpg

This is for the L20B but you could trim it and run a hose. Naturally Nissan used a hose larger hole at one end.:angry:

motorL20BPCVhosetoblocknonsmog-1.jpg

I have to give mad props to Wayno! He showed up at my door bearing gifts... one L series vent tube! Thanks Wayno, now I really need to fix it.