Opening Crank Case Vent Tube

Uncle Laulau

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i no want to thread jack, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut i go the L20B style crankcase vent tube, can i just leave that 90 degree tube in there?

Yes you can leave it in place and you don't need a filter on it. If you were drawing air into the motor a filter would be ok to use. You really should have the PCV valve working for the full benefits of this system. If you drive long trips where the motor warms fully then much of the sweat inside the crankcase will evaporate and most will find it's way out one of those tubes but short stop and go trips will build up water vapor and condense into the oil pan. Then there's the unburned gas which will thin and contaminate the oil. The PCV works any time the motor is running and extends the oil change intervals and keeps the motor cleaner.

Yes you can leave it in place and you don't need a filter on it. If you were drawing air into the motor a filter would be ok to use. You really should have the PCV valve working for the full benefits of this system. If you drive long trips where the motor warms fully then much of the sweat inside the crankcase will evaporate and most will find it's way out one of those tubes but short stop and go trips will build up water vapor and condense into the oil pan. Then there's the unburned gas which will thin and contaminate the oil. The PCV works any time the motor is running and extends the oil change intervals and keeps the motor cleaner.

i dont remember seeing a PCV valve in my 510 or the 620, ill look for it. where should it normally be located for a 510 and a 620?

All cars after '62 will have them, some before.

It should be on the intake below and to the rear of the carb under the throttle on most. Some are on a EGR manifold bolted to the intake and generally in the same location or below and beside the carb.