WANTED 1966 datsun pickup TITLE

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most titles have trucks attatched to them, get the title for your truck, its illegal to change or deface a title to make it match your truck and also to change the vin on your truck. Ive never hear someone ask like that do you gave a handy cap of some kind, I just wana let everone else now if you do and maybe they wont burn you at the stake, go to the dmv, it might not be easy to get "your" title but you have to

• Like 1

Wow thanks for all the nice replies! Let me explain... I just baught a 66 datsun pickup that was made into a gasser drag race truck from day one. It is on a tube frame with a blown injected sbc. I can not find a vin anywere. The truck is called hari kari and was in magazines and won many trophies back in the day. I can post pics I'm not scaming anyone, I see a lot of people buy and sell titles for old hot rods

• Like 1

If the inspection plate and or markings and or dash vin are gone I wouldnt know how to help you but unless you buy a cab and swap it you need to get your title, and neg repin me for posting on this rediculus thread well that doesnt hurt my fealings hope it helps you feal better, I have other suggestions but your handle and the name of your truck cover that, idk why you cant post pics, but there is a how too on the subject and its covered in the "help" section, some ine might be able to tell you where to look for any remaining numbers if you said what modle of truck you have, and who buys these titles and where are they sold, good luck. Maybe you could track down the person who last owned it since you know some history, enjoy the truck hope you get some help

Just because people do it doesn't mean it's legal. While it's a method to get a title for a long-unregistered street rod, it's also how people register stolen vehicles.

I see no reason to have a title for a drag race vehicle. It's not street legal. And even if it can be made so, it requires an inspection to set a VIN, since the frame is no longer original. The body itself never had a VIN as the body is simply sheet metal- it's the frame that contained the serial number that was used as a VIN. If the tube-frame builder didn't get a homebuilt VIN, they never intended it for street use.

If you're not willing to go through the process your State requires to have it inspected and registered as a homebuilt street rod, I certainly wouldn't go about promoting an illegal activity.

• Like 3

Wow thanks for all the nice replies! Let me explain... I just baught a 66 datsun pickup that was made into a gasser drag race truck from day one. It is on a tube frame with a blown injected sbc. I can not find a vin anywere. The truck is called hari kari and was in magazines and won many trophies back in the day. I can post pics I'm not scaming anyone, I see a lot of people buy and sell titles for old hot rods

1966 Datsuns do not have a VIN. They have a chassis number stamped into the firewall on the passenger side just above where the ignition coil and fuse box would be in a normal vehicle. If this has benn cut off you are probably SOL. Be aware that in most states when you register a custom built vehicle by whatever name your state chooses to call it you have to comply with whatever Federal and local state safety and pollution standards were in effect ON THE YEAR THE REPLACEMENT FRAME WAS MADE, not the model year of whatever body you tack on to the frame. So two problems. First prove what year the frame was welded up. Second find out from your DMV just what they will demand of you before wasting a lot of money on a perhaps futile task. Good luck!

1966 Datsuns do not have a VIN. They have a chassis number stamped into the firewall on the passenger side just above where the ignition coil and fuse box would be in a normal vehicle. If this has benn cut off you are probably SOL. Be aware that in most states when you register a custom built vehicle by whatever name your state chooses to call it you have to comply with whatever Federal and local state safety and pollution standards were in effect ON THE YEAR THE REPLACEMENT FRAME WAS MADE, not the model year of whatever body you tack on to the frame. So two problems. First prove what year the frame was welded up. Second find out from your DMV just what they will demand of you before wasting a lot of money on a perhaps futile task. Good luck!

Mike, the "Chassis Number" is the VIN per definition. True, it's not the 17-digit ISO-standard VIN, but the "Chassis Serial number" was called a VIN as early as 1954, though no standard was set until 1981.

In addition, trucks don't have the "Serial number" or VIN on the firewall. That's a unibody thing, generally cars though some Unibody "Trucks" have them too. That's why a 411 would have a firewall chassis number. Vehicles with true frames have the VIN/Serial number on the frame itself.

I will note that the chassis serial number (VIN) is also on the dataplate screwed to the firewall. Of course, those have a tendency to disappear since they are removable.

I will note that the chassis serial number (VIN) is also on the dataplate screwed to the firewall. Of course, those have a tendency to disappear since they are removable.

Judging from the pictures posted here and in the "Datsun Stories" thread, not only did the firewall data plate disapper, so did the whole firewall when the big block was jammed in.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but i bought a 72 datsun 620 pkup without a title. Don't need a title for a truck that old here in Alabama. Just a bill of sale. Got my tag and later sold it with just a bill of sale.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but i bought a 72 datsun 620 pkup without a title. Don't need a title for a truck that old here in Alabama. Just a bill of sale. Got my tag and later sold it with just a bill of sale.

Def need a title here, unless the owner comes to the dmv with you then you can get it sighned over

Judging from the pictures posted here and in the "Datsun Stories" thread, not only did the firewall data plate disapper, so did the whole firewall when the big block was jammed in.

As Einstein once said~ "all is relative (big block) to something" It wasn't a big block per se, but rather a small block 283 either bored, stroked, or *C*, all the above ( this all happened well before the advent of the now famous Z28 302 motor)~ so when you compare it to our J13's to VG30's it's a big block! Other than the minor (2 yr) discrepancy of the body's mfg date the info otherwise pans out~ giving the benefit of the doubt to our new member. It seems as though you've stumbled upon a piece of history here (as others have mentioned), and every effort should be made to confirm the lineage via paper trail.

Now go out there and kick some racin @$$, Hari!

• 4 weeks later...

Grant, Alabama is the only state in the union to not require a title -- the other 49 do require it.

Regardless, a title to hang on the wall is nice, just like a window sticker, it doesn't have to match.

And yes that's a big block and more specifically it is a "small block Chevrolet" engine for you Ratsun guys that don't know much about car history ...

Most titles have trucks attatched to them, get the title for your truck, its illegal to change or deface a title to make it match your truck and also to change the vin on your truck. Ive never hear someone ask like that do you gave a handy cap of some kind, I just wana let everone else now if you do and maybe they wont burn you at the stake, go to the dmv, it might not be easy to get "your" title but you have to

I have bought lots of vehicles that have no titles...usually dumped or relatives died, etc. So, be nice, if anyone has an extra title...I only have a 65 320 title, no 66 sorry. But I do understand the need for one.

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.