I am now a Datsun owner

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the only way that you are going to be able to pull off having that look good now is to turn it into a crawler. A set of 37" MTR's with some Dana 44's from a wagoneer will certainly make it look better. :D

Id go with a scout 2 frame, its got slightly better 44,s and the frame is clean and fully boxed, wagoneers are bad ass though, just like how the scout uses bigger seals bigger axles and no shims on the outers they have bolts ...BOLTS! I hate those hikey shim things couse im to simple to under stand how they work "correctly"

Man, I'm definitly not feelin' the love from some of you :P I kinda figured this would ruffle some peoples feathers. All comments, positive or negitive are appriciated..... its all good. A few people have given me some ideas that I would have never thought of, such as the dually idea!!!! That has me doing some serious thinking and I even tracked down a Toyota dually rear axle just in case. I need to take some measurments and put some more thought into that idea. For now I'm going to continue in the current direction.

I figured I would post up the picture I found that lead to the inspiration for this hack job ;) First, here is the picture as I found it on the internet. A nice clean longbed slammed on its nuts.

deanfeb004.jpg

I liked the truck, but I just wasn't feelin' the longbed. So, I started playing with MS Paint and this picture and here is what I came up with. And well...... you know what happened next.

deanfeb0041.jpg

I hope this will allow some of you to get a better perspective of what my vision for this truck is. For those of you that still don't like it..... well, I just found this smiley face that seems appropriate :fu: And once again, thanks for all the welcomes people.

U have learned quick ;) we like pics. I still think it looks like ass but im curious to see where u take it. Its best to have tuff skin around here when trying something new. not everyone is gonna like what u do. SOme will tho. I wish u the best of luck. Just dont give up half way through. thats even more upsetting then a hacked up 620. a hacked up 620 that never gets finished then gets scrapped. ;)

Id go with a scout 2 frame, its got slightly better 44,s and the frame is clean and fully boxed, wagoneers are bad ass though, just like how the scout uses bigger seals bigger axles and no shims on the outers they have bolts ...BOLTS! I hate those hikey shim things couse im to simple to under stand how they work "correctly"

For the sake of argument (cause it's fun) :)

I would use the 620 frame and just swap in the axles. The 620 frame is fully boxed and has inner structure in critical areas, very strong frames.

The Dana 44's are the same axles in both trucks except Scouts have 0 caster from the factory which can cause some odd handling quirks. The Wagoneer axles are 6-lug stock, same as the 620 and you can find a Wagoneer in the pick n pull any day, Scouts are getting hard to come by. Not sure what shims you referring to the spindles bolt on with 6 bolts and the hubs use standard tapered bearings.

Sorry for the thread interruption, we now return you to your previously scheduled program. :fu:

PS. I like the bob :P

I must say, my reaction to reading this thread was probably very similar to the first time I saw 2 girls 1 cup.. Now that the tears have stopped and I've brushed my teeth, welcome to ratsun...

I'd say if you wanna pull this back out of the crapper, maybe make a 620 SUV out of it. Haven't seen anyone do that yet, and it would make the new long wheel base short bed thing make more sense.

May photochop something up later after the wife goes to sleep and I can sneak back onto the computer for hours on end.

Good luck man! You got brass balls for sure. They just may be in your head.

totally shoulda done that with the beat up short wheel base.

Now we're making progress!

If you call running full speed downhill backwards, progress! Do NOT do that... PLEASE!!!

I say make it the first 620 pathfinder. weld cab and bed together. Box in the back, and put a seat back there with windows, or even doors from the other 620 you have. You've got it set up with an SUV style wheel base. Wheels right in the back with long wheel base. I say run with it, but make people double take when they see it. I like the "is that factory or custom?" reaction myself.

I'm thinking you were one of those kids who tried to cut his own hair right? ended up too short in the wrong spots and there were a few choices, take school pictures with a gapped up haircut, trim it all to the length of the shortest part, or go nuts and make it a mohawk. I say it's your truck so your choice, but that's my .02.