LED Gauge Backlights

Javin

I did not run any connectors just hard wired it, though, I probably would if I did it again. Hard wiring is just the easiest way for me to explain, plus, I didn't have any connectors here at the time.

I don't remove my gauges enough to really justify it though. Plus, when I do, I take them out as a set. I go back an forth. I may do another set of gauges today just to do them.

EDIT: I just got my second controller in today. Placed Purchase on ebay on 6/15/2011 and arrived in Oregon on the 6/24/2011. 9 Days to my door. Not bad! He ships fast. I wish he could give us a discount, but then again, I never asked.

EDIT 2: I just noticed my leads for the lights and IR are smaller on this box than they were on the other. It wont really matter much to me, but to some it may be a drawback.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool ill run some shielded spades or bullets when i get to mine simply because mine an aftermarket tach and i would like to be able to remove it from the rest if need be now if i could just talk you out of some of that led strip :P

Unfortunately I have plans for the remainder of mine, however there may be other people on here that will be willing to go in with you on some or even sending that guy a message asking for however much you need.

I am sure you already thought about this, but the after market tach may not have the same amount of lip I have on mine. The lip on a stock 620 tach is perfect. Also, I notice you only have 610s, I have no idea what the gauges look like on those so you will have to do some good test fits. Would love to see how it comes out though.

Under seat, maybe glove box, and possibly to light my engine bay (I am missing my hood lamp). Even thought about around the edge of the bed. Obviously these can all be turned on or off at appropriate times.

• 2 weeks later...

I was messing with a 69 cluster yesterday. I just got some stock in of 194 white LED bulbs. The 69 only has TWO bulbs lighing up the needle... that was Crazy. I figure a 8" strip would work well. I'll post some OIC's up this week of the cluster.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 3/4 way done. Javin's writeup can be followed for a 510. MEGA-THUMBS UP for JAVIN!

Unfortunately, I didn't take pics since it's pretty much the same as Javin's.

Just gotta put everything back ;)

That is awesome to hear! I wasn't sure about other clearances. Glad it helped. I cant wait to see some pictures.

Here it is folks!

Testing the lights on my Z's battery

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

Cleaning up the lenses while I had everything out:

(I used Mother's headlight restore)51y6qNblN7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

before:

DSC00005.jpg

after:

DSC00008.jpg

before:

DSC00006.jpg

after:

DSC00009.jpg

Installed:

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

Just like Javin's (same exact kit) I can change the color with a wireless remote and have it strobe thru all the colors or blending transition)

-goki

they came out nice how much time did it take to clean the lenses

like 5-10 mins per lens.

I just put some of the cream on the powerball, but didnt use a drill...I just manually rubbed it on there.

After rubbing for about 5-10 mins, wipe clean with a microfiber towel and

*PRESTO* nice and clean (and almost new) looking lenses!

-goki

probably white...which kinda has a tint of purple for some reason. Sometimes I rock orange or yellow. Green if I'm feeling oldskool :lol:

The white has a purple tint because not enough current (volt or amps I cant remember). If you revved your engine you may actually see a difference in colors.

• 2 months later...

anyonhe thought of using these in thier tail lights? would it work?

Go thru your wiring & sockets first.My tail lights on the 810 are bright as is.Any brighter and people would think i have my brake lights on.This would be a really not good idea.

Dim lights are 99 out of a 100 times caused by corrosion and/or bad bulbs & connections.

stumbled on this, and i gotta say, that is pretty damn cool. i wonder if there would be a way to make them switch colors when you start revving hard? lol that'd be awesome. say. blue on low rpm, green around medium, and red at high rpm. i just think that'd be awesome. but, ofcourse, i am a dork, too. so dont take it to heart. lol

i wasnt looking at making my lights brighter, i want to make a custom light... if i am running hid up front... i want something more modern in the rear, and my housings are falling appart, so i plan to build my own .......with a certain design made out of lights thanks for the reply though