Overheating?

Laecaon

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Albyneau you only use 20 - 25 % antifreeze? Did I read that right and if so, what type of oustide temps to you get in your area during summer months? Just wondering as I have just lately been running a little hot on the temp guage too.

Monthly averages for July/August are about 90, but we get our fair share of some triple digits~ and rarely into the 100&teens.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/95457

Remember~ ehtylene glycol raises the boilpoint thru viscosity increase, but is less thermally conductive than water.

Wow~ nobody's tried to *google* my trivia, I'm surprised! I did get a kick out of the *head gasket* answer tho...

My goon ran cold... barely touched and entered the 'normal' range. While replacing the thermostat housing I found it had a 160 in it. I'm not a fan of running such a cold thermostat. If overheating then you need a new or bigger rad or have it and the block flushed. Running a 160 is not fixing the problem. So I put in the required 180 and only today was able to run it out on the highway. Well it ran half a needle below the highest point on the normal range and on hills would go up about a half needle into the H range. No way is this the way Nissan would have sent the car out from the factory.

So tomorrow I'll check the rad out. The thermostat is new, I suppose it could be faulty.

BTW. the car ran without incident for about 200 miles. Had no indication of overheating other than the gauge was a bit high. The needle barely moved and didn't drop when I drove slowly through a town.

On the actual temperature, get an infrared heat thermometer from harbor freight ($50 bucks) and spot the thermostat housing. Instant, pretty stinkin' accurate temps. That's how I figured out my aftermarket gauge likes to read about 10 degrees hotter than the motor actually is. Plus they're handy for finding clogged radiators by spotting over the core and noting the temp difference, manifold gaskets leaking on V6 motors by spotting the exhaust runners, finding which one is cold, etc. Many many uses, really handy tool to have.

Also, most original gauges aren't that accurate anymore due to shitty electrical systems. Unless you have a nice pristine wiring harness. I know my original stuff is shit. Slowly bypassing all of it.

On the actual temperature, get an infrared heat thermometer from harbor freight ($50 bucks) and spot the thermostat housing. Instant, pretty stinkin' accurate temps. That's how I figured out my aftermarket gauge likes to read about 10 degrees hotter than the motor actually is. Plus they're handy for finding clogged radiators by spotting over the core and noting the temp difference, manifold gaskets leaking on V6 motors by spotting the exhaust runners, finding which one is cold, etc. Many many uses, really handy tool to have.

Also, most original gauges aren't that accurate anymore due to shitty electrical systems. Unless you have a nice pristine wiring harness. I know my original stuff is shit. Slowly bypassing all of it.

Thank you for suggesting that. I was wondering if that would work. I may pick one up sometime tomorrow (sale on them/20% off coupon maybe). I fear my gauge my not be accurate.