ok, new 620 owner...

Llittle_Llama

ok, first off, i just bought this thing yesterday. i have done TONS of research, but learned very little. it is a 79 which seems to be the best year, but i want as much more cheap ppwer as i can get. first off, i have a weber carb, and were tuning it tomorrow. what is the peanut intake, why is it called that, and what are it's advantages? 2, what kind of headers can i run, and are they worth it? 3 what all do you recommend i do to this thing to make sure it last? and the last thing is it is th e4 speed manual, and i would like the 5 speed, what can i do to swap it?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what all do you recommend i do to this thing to make sure it last???

keep good anti freeze , never let it over heat

Keep the oil level good

It will last forever!!!!!!!!!!

there is no real such thing as cheap power unless you get the parts FREE.

the best mod for a L20 motor would be get a 38DGES carb but expensive NEW.

Its similar with what you have just both barrels open up at the same time and its a38mm bore size.

the620.com has alot of info there and read up on that.

I would think a 79 already had a 5 speed? But I dont know 620s as much as others on here.

As for the term "peanut head", it refers to the shape of the chamber in the head... rather than being a circle, it looks more like a peanut. It's just a slightly smaller chamber, so it'll bump your compression up a bit. It's also been said that the shape makes for a more complete mixture of the air and fuel, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

As for headers, it's been covered before... the general idea is, they're not worth it. The stock manifold is really good on these trucks, so you really won't get any power out of a header.

Check the FAQ in the general discussion... there's a LOT of good info there. There was a header thread in the trucks forum IIRC, and if you want more info about engine combos and heads and all, then take a look at the "Your Crazy Engine Combos" thread... I think it's in the Engine forum.

And welcome aboard... pics?

best bang for the buck horse power wise do a KA swap that is what i am doing. plus your gas mileage goes up, and in this day and age a big carb to me just is not cost effective. gas is so high and from what Jeff (icehouse) has said he gets 29mpg with the KA swap just my .02 :cool:

well now that you mention it......i am getting my 240sx tomorrow.....i have an rb20 to go into that, nad i have the motor out of the 240 i was thinking about dropping in. it is a 90 model, and i think it has the single cam motor in it. will know in the afternoon. what all is required on the swap, and what can i do with the L series i take out?

sounds like you pretty much have all the major stuff to have two very cool vehicles. All that you seem to be missing now is PICTURES.

Ya, the KA is close to a bolt in conversion, Use the search function for this, it has been covered. You have it available and it will be way better than the L series. Just consider selling the L before you pull it so that somebody could hear it run.

Jason

Keep the motor and tranny. Use them.

Gas will be $4.00/gal soon

don't bother with a header. They are loud, more likely to leak, and don't add power to a stock L20b.

5-speed swap is just that. Find one and swap it in there. A 280ZX 5-speed or 620 5-speed will work.