Jesters 620

Jester

Need some help. I put a new alternator on my 620 last week and the CHRG light is still on. The voltage reg. was recently replaced as well. Does anyone know which wire it is that goes from the ign switch to the alternator? I tried looking on the 620 tech page for the info but the diagram there is not to readable, even zoomed in. I'm thinking that the alt. is not being excited at an idle.

Thanks

Jester

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. This is crazy. I put a test light on the white wire with red stripe JUST WITH THE KEY ON, a little power with the volt reg unplugged and NO POWER AT ALL with it plugged in.

If I plug in the volt reg and rev the motor, it aquires power again. :blink:WTF???

Jester

I'm about to say f#ck it and just go with the Saturn setup and put an electronic ignition on as well. I guess it wouldn't do much good if I have problems elsewhere though.

Jester

Those are the 2 best upgrades I did to my truck. Increased the reliability and drivability 100% ;)

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my progress. I did manage to put a IR alt. from a '79 810 that was loaded with all the power options. WY alternator. Works great. I used the lower mount and the alt. from the donor. THAT'S IT! Finally figured out the wiring and everything is good. I know some of you will say it's not much of an upgrade, but, it works and puts out all the power I need.

Next will be to get rid of this damn Hitachi carb. It has a hell of a stumble about 1/2 throttle. Just before the secondary opens it wants to fall on it's face. I wouldn't think that jetting would need to be changed sence the airfilter, houseing and exhaust are all stock.

Q: Will a tack from a early '70's Datsun 1200 bolt into the tack location on the 620's? I found one for free. A buddy of mine has an old 1200 that was his pasture runner for a few years. THIS THING IS HAMMERED. It's headed for scrap here shortly.

As to the tack; Yes is does. The lense is differant but it goes right in and the wiring was cake.

Also swapped in the surrounds for the door latches. The stock ones on the 620 are black and the ones on the 1200 were chrome. Oooohhhhh sshhiiiiiinnnyyyyy.

• 4 months later...

Got crazy with the paint cans today. :D:D I started with the wheels and couldn't stop there. Had to do the hood too. Looks killer from about 10' away. I guess I didn't get my surface as clean as I should have before I painted the white. Oh well. I like it.

100_2443.jpg

100_2444.jpg

Put some differant seats in too. These seem to fit a lot better than the Ranger/Exploder split bench. Also put the shifter bushings from my parts truck in the shifter. After I cut it down of coarse.

100_2446.jpg[/img]

100_2450.jpg

100_2451.jpg

I cut about 5" off. About 1" above the bend. I put a pepsi can in there so you could get an idea of the hight.

No idea what the seats are from. They actually came in my KC when I got it. I just mounted the stock bucket rails from the parts truck on the front mounting hole and redrilled the rear hole. Had to make a new hole in the cab for the inner rails. They sit fairly low and not to far forward. A LOT better than my last setup.

The paint is Rust-Oleum Sail Blue #7724

Thanks for all the comments.