The tach repair kit

Hi y'all, I am posting this topic up because I have a stock tach that does'nt work. I couldn't find an upgraded I.c. board from a donor later model datsun, and the local repair shop does not want to touch it. so I found someone who is willing to make one for me, one that is a voltage sensing type, not induction pick-up. I wanted to know if there is an interest for this and see If anyone would want one of these up graded I.c. Essentially this would be an ic board the would replace the existing one, to keep the factory one going. I know this has to be ratsun prices, so I am looking to see how much this would run out the door. He is working on prototypes as we speak. Anyhow let know. Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi y'all, I am posting this topic up because I have a stock tach that does'nt work. I couldn't find an upgraded I.c. board from a donor later model datsun, and the local repair shop does not want to touch it. so I found someone who is willing to make one for me, one that is a voltage sensing type, not induction pick-up. I wanted to know if there is an interest for this and see If anyone would want one of these up graded I.c. Essentially this would be an ic board the would replace the existing one, to keep the factory one going. I know this has to be ratsun prices, so I am looking to see how much this would run out the door. He is working on prototypes as we speak. Anyhow let know. Thanks

Interesting idea..As i have two non-working 620 factory tachs. And isnt the 620 style tach already voltage sensing??

How does the new style board get wired into the car? What do we tap into?

• 3 weeks later...

228626_1844846654095_1628499327_1797727_6390828_n.jpg

226549_1844846214084_1628499327_1797726_7562966_n.jpg

224631_1844847254110_1628499327_1797730_8304109_n.jpg

224156_1844847534117_1628499327_1797731_2700853_n.jpg

222973_1844846934102_1628499327_1797729_979083_n.jpg

So here are some pics on the replacement board. IT's made out of "perf" board, and if there is enough demand they can be made out of professional produced circuit board. There is a built in adjustment. This boared was installed in a white needle tach, and when tested on the bench, it was accurate up to 6k rpm's. After it became off by a couple hundred. From what i understand it may be due to the mechanical portion of the tach, i.e. the magnet with in. This may not be the case for all of them.

These boards should have enough flexability to be used in other datsun tachs. not sure. but will find out.

okay so just spoke to the guy. A complete board ready to be installed is gonna cost $50.00. To have the board installed and callibrated by him will be $25.00 bucks, plus shipping. He can make this board work with a v6.

ONE MORE THING!

Before anyone gets ready to start sending out tachs, he is currently working on a simple test procedure that anyone can do to determine which part of the tach is defective. This will show if the electronics' portion or the mechanical portion is bad, so that way no one will waste their time sending a tach that wont be fixed by a board replacement.

okay so just spoke to the guy. A complete board ready to be installed is gonna cost $50.00. To have the board installed and callibrated by him will be $25.00 bucks, plus shipping. He can make this board work with a v6.

ONE MORE THING!

Before anyone gets ready to start sending out tachs, he is currently working on a simple test procedure that anyone can do to determine which part of the tach is defective. This will show if the electronics' portion or the mechanical portion is bad, so that way no one will waste their time sending a tach that wont be fixed by a board replacement.

Once he gets this sorted out, let me know. I would like to send my tach off to him so he can make it compatible with my V6.

Thanks for doing this.

• 5 weeks later...

Totally right CC, I just read them. I quickly cut and pasted with out even giving the instructions a glance. Here they are below:

Determining if your Datsun Tachometer is repairable by way of replacement of the driver board or not;

1. find the wires from the board to the gauge on the front, usually orange and yellow or green and yellow

2. find a nearly dead AA or AAA battery and use clip leads to connect the battery to the gauge leads

3. if the needle doesnt move, try turning the battery around, and if it moves then, your gauge is good and might be fixed using this replacement board.