HiComp ITB KA24DE 510

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SOOO I made it home.

IMG_20120828_170409.jpg

However.. it needs a lot of work. I can't keep her at home.. yet.

1. Clutch most definitely needs to be replaced.

2. Carb needs to be gone through or replaced.

3. replace everything ignition.

On my way home, it would cough and sputter under load.. then as soon as I let off the gas it would die. BUT, this was with the choke in, i pulled the choke out and it was good enough.. I don't feel comfortable driving this around everyday quite yet..

Thinking it was timing related I stopped and advanced the timing a bit.. it was indeed way retarded.

I need to rev to like 4k so the clutch can engage lolol This thing is such a hoopty.. I love it soo much though :thumbup:

*Confirm fuel pressure/volume

*Check quick fo vacuum leaks

*I'm sure you've change the fuel filter already

*Check for carb fuel leaks/seeps

*Check accelerator pump operation (it will give a cough ,,, putt ,,, puttt ,,,, stalll ,,,, and then the engine will catch up and go eventually ,,, unless it's completely shot lol )

*Check Fuel float level

*See if main-jets are clogged/fuel bowl full of sediment.

*Idle circuit check

I think like you said earlier ,,,

possibly just a used webber :cool:

OR a spare to re-build ,,, and put back on !

If you're going to rebuild any carb = make sure throttle shaft bushings are good !

Does it have points and condensor still ? ( sorry I slow )

* Definetly check and replace points/condensor if not have for a while ( I'm sure you have )

yeah the distributors advancement .. can def be problematic over time... def check it's operation VERY thoroughly !

Hainz enjoy's running per-tronix EI conversions and more importantly believes in them :)

Also = use very light torque when putting the carburetor back together. Over-tightening bolts/screws on carbs is very common ,,, and causes leaks = issues.

( I know you know most of this , but I am just going to kick the dead horse for a while lol )

Hmm.. never would of thought of the fuel pump. Float level is ok I guess, the float is in the middle about, though it has gotten stuck before. though its fine noaw (me thinks? (float level) )

If I were to buy a weber.. i'd rather swap a L series in.

It's a J13 so still points. the only thing I replaced were spark plugs, cap and rotor. no EI I think.

Damn it I don't like the way this J is set up.. I hate push rods with a passion.

I didn't lose a ton of oil, but it's like a quite a bit more that I'm comfortable with. And you prob guessed it.. it's from the tappet cover.

I really like the L so much.

So let me describe what I think to be a carb problem

I was at a stop sign, threw it first and went to go, ( Just so I don't confuse coughing, missing, or dieing.. i'll describe it as a normal person would lol) The rpms began to drop as if it were dieing than it would shoot up back to normal.. and the truck was shuddering. almost like the fuel cutout when you hit the speed limiter in a modern car (don't ask how I know.... :devil:)

Another thing I would like to add is that i'm not running bone dry with oil, im just leaking some.. I make it seem like it's catastrophic.. (which for me actually it is)

I just have a OCD of having everything working in perfect condition.. It's just I was hot to trot and that got in the way of my thought process lol.. almost like sporadic purchases :lol:

I'm freaking out though lol.. and shaking my head in disappointment..

dude we are brothers....

210fee06.jpg

i got some hitachis off a 1600 i would happily donate to your cause .....i think theres two or three carbs plus a rebuild kit i think or alt least most of one...even throuhg in a weber off a 2002 bmw...

dude we are brothers....

210fee06.jpg

SWEEET.

Mine is 69.. beat that.

My favorite number :lol:

I want to lower it a bit, add red steelies.. some white walls.. call it good.. and do the swap.. wretched J series!

Rather... Wretched me!! for being stupid.. and thinking it ran good enough lol.

Yeah, i'll take a look after I do the oil change.

Quick question, if I just put the intake and exhaust gasket on, can I take the in/ex manis off with out replacing the gasket? I need access to tappet covers. I bought cork and made gaskets lol.

I replaced the head unit on the 510, I was tired of listening to the same CD over and over again. Now I have 2000 songs on the go.

First I cleaned a spare cigarette thing up

IMG_20120901_134923.jpg

Then I filed for the cord

IMG_20120901_134935.jpg

had to cut off these plastic things, don't worry, it was a spare..

IMG_20120901_135847.jpg

done

RADIOWOOT.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thought I should update.. I've been driving my 510 every day for the past month.

Everything is functioning fine! there are times when im driving my 510 and it's surprises me.. like overtaking people on the highway! or the fact it actually breaks loose!

There are however, some things that need attention.

The suspension- Something about it doesn't feel right. I get a annoying squeak coming from the driver side strut, where the strut meets the arm (i'm guessing, cause it's only when turning.) I jacked her up and moved ever steering/suspension component as best I could to try to find the squeak.. nothing. it squeaks every once in a while.. like a rubber on rubber sound. Also, out of nowhere the alignment goes of whack and starts tracking to the right a bit. Nothing is loose, but the bushings do need replacing. The ass end also bounces a lot around turns, it's hard to describe, but I can't turn to hard because I feel as if the rear will flip over, not the front, the front is stable.

The engine- compression is low on the 4th cylinder, because of rings i'm guessing. under load, at high RPM, If I blip the throttle a plume of blue smoke comes out.. I tested this at idle or at low RPMS under load and nothing happens.

Also, at start up, there is a timing chain rattle.. it's getting a bit worse.. according to one of the techs at Rebellos, (Which I thank a lot for putting up with my shit haha, I couldn't stop talking about their L32 stroker) The flat driver side guide is pretty worn. Chain is also a bit worn so a new timing chain kit is in need.

Gas tank - I'm tired of showing up to anywhere smelling like gas. Some girls like it.. but most don't haha. It also annoys me that I leak more gas than I actually use.

For this, I was thinking of just making my own filler neck and flange out of steel, to eliminate the need for the rubber filler neck. I'm wondering if using steel is a good idea, couldn't it maybe get corroded by the fuel? I'm pretty confident in my welding abilities, But at this point I can only use a MIG machine.. so..

Other than that, the 510 is running/handling tits. The auto tranny needs to GTFO. The 510 seems to not care whether it's 110 degrees or 50.. it preforms perfect.

Oh and I may or may not have beaten a 1.6 sentra..... :devil:

It's pathetic to think that's an achievement but... the L20B isn't exactly a performance built engine.. haha. It just has a static advance of 13 degrees, and a Weber.

I really like the sound of the weber sucking in air.. I can hear it through my firewall!! :w00t: :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

It's true...

I got rearended.

I was pulling out of the parking lot, car died because the motor was still cold, idiot behind me in a ranger floored it.

Pulled over and started crying. not like a bitch but a silently stare and cry. lol. This car is my life.

Why I didn't bash his head in, I don't know. I have pretty good control of myself.

My friends are really sad too. They love this car haha. All the while the stupid fuck was bragging how he doesn't have a single dent on his ranger.

I really don't know why I didn't smash his face.

522908_543441315681831_1418054322_n.jpg

Bluebird tailight panel would be pretty dang cool !

510keeper ? :D :lol:

Fuel cell ... hmmmm ... well you have had a leaky gas tank filler neck hose ..

How big are 510 gas tanks ?

That reminds me .. I have the baffled 17-18 gallon zx one sitting (gas lines not hooked up) in my project 240z now lol