HiComp ITB KA24DE 510

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Transmission Crossmember fabricated and installed today! All systems go!

Need to make minor adjustments to carb and she should be road worthy!

All aforementioned problems are fixed! Smoke and wierd smell were due to solvents used to clean deck surfaces, or Gaskets seating? No more smoke or leaks.

Though i should look into advancing the dizzy/oil pump drive a tooth

FIRST TIME ON THE ROAD IN A COUPLE WEEKS EVERYTHING SOUNDS WORKS AWESOME NO COMPLAINTS AHHHH OMG FINALLY A PROPERLY WORKING DATSUN ASSEMBLED BY ME I GUESS I KNOW WHAT IM DOING DISREGARD LACK OF PUNCTUATION IDGAF IM EXCITED AS FUCK I JUST GOT HOME FROM MY SHOP BEST DRIVE OF MY LIFE ROASTED TIRES THROUGH SECOND GEAR WITH A WHACK ASS WEBER I NEED SIDE DRAFTS WOOOOOOO TODAY MARKS THE FIRST DAY OF MANHOOD WOOT WOOT WOOT 

• Like 4

Yes this is awesome to hear.  You still running the 32/36?  I hope to see you this Saturday so I can check it out.

Yup  :sneaky:

Me and pops will be there, I honestly couldnt have done it this fast without him. 

While yes, i did build this, he was looking over my shoulder making sure I didnt fuck up. 

When I did, he fixed it. 

tumblr_muhlxhbGWt1rgbdxqo3_1280.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome job DAT510. I just spent the last two nights reading over your build at work (shhhh) and this is amazing.

I need your motivation. Want to lend it to me for the next few weeks? After all, your 510 is all good now :)

• Like 1

Teaser pics!   :w00t:

Props to your dad!  My dad has been a great help here too.  What is your power range?

judging by butt dyno, 100 at the wheels at best. I can get gnarly wheel spin in second and chirp in third, Carb still needs to be fine tuned I think. OR I just need a bigger carb. Timming is at stock 10 degrees.

Awesome job DAT510. I just spent the last two nights reading over your build at work (shhhh) and this is amazing.

I need your motivation. Want to lend it to me for the next few weeks? After all, your 510 is all good now :)

They say procrastinators make the best progress in a short amount of time. Ive been meaning to tranny swap my car for years now.. lol. 

It all boils down to how bad you want it I guess. I really love this car, like REAAAAAAAAALLY  Mom tells me if I spent half as much time on a girl as I do with this thing id probably be married by now.

Just do it, dont think about it. As soon as you get rolling you cant stop. And thats when the Datsun bug has infected you

That's the problem, the datsun bug infected my wallet and left. LOL. I'd swear if I had more than one day off a week I'd be better, but that would probably be a lie.

It's OK though. Hopefully work will die down be the end of the month so I can have both of my Datsuns on the road by Thanksgiving. Just need to stop feeling old...

• Like 1

That's the problem, the datsun bug infected my wallet and left. LOL. I'd swear if I had more than one day off a week I'd be better, but that would probably be a lie.

It's OK though. Hopefully work will die down be the end of the month so I can have both of my Datsuns on the road by Thanksgiving. Just need to stop feeling old...

Ahhh I see. School did the same, it mostly contributed to my hiatus. But I have all this downtime till the next semester.

I'll help you out by posting a bunch of motivational pictures in this thread, friend  :thumbup:

Hopefully one will get you so riled up that the second you find some time in your schedule you'll attack the Datto like the Germans attacked Britain (sorry british dudes) swiftly and efficiently

best of luck  :thumbup:

• Like 1

how does the power feel? I want to build an lz23 with stock w58 peanut head as i dont have money for a performance cam haha.

oh and how much did you spend building it?

Thanks, Erick

Yeah it wasn't that much, just all new gaskets and stuff. stuffThe hardest part I'd say was drilling the block and head gasket.

Might want to rethink a peanut on this thing. I think my c/r with a open head is 9.9? I gotta check again. Timming is at stock 12, no pinging.

As for power, I almost beat a WRX. Then his turbo kicked in. I get a bunch of wheelspin in 2nd, and chirp in 3rd. (ZX 5spd, 3.73 gears)

They aren't that expensive...   :lol:

Cheaper than a rebuilt engine, that's for sure...

true a cam kit might be cheaper than building a lz23 haha, but i was thinking building the engine first and then maybe getting a cam later, but I'm still considering what i should do.

Yeah it wasn't that much, just all new gaskets and stuff. stuffThe hardest part I'd say was drilling the block and head gasket.

Might want to rethink a peanut on this thing. I think my c/r with a open head is 9.9? I gotta check again. Timming is at stock 12, no pinging.

As for power, I almost beat a WRX. Then his turbo kicked in. I get a bunch of wheelspin in 2nd, and chirp in 3rd. (ZX 5spd, 3.73 gears)

yeah i only have w58 peanut heads, but i was thinking of using z24 dished pistons for a compression ratio of around 8.9, ofcourse i would have to grind the rods down to make them clear the pistons as like sealik did. Thats awesome keeping up with a WRX, i raced my managers 2003 beetle and he beat my freshly rebuilt L20b in a roll on haha, then again my weber is very worn out

yeah i only have w58 peanut heads, but i was thinking of using z24 dished pistons for a compression ratio of around 8.9, ofcourse i would have to grind the rods down to make them clear the pistons as like sealik did. Thats awesome keeping up with a WRX, i raced my managers 2003 beetle and he beat my freshly rebuilt L20b in a roll on haha, then again my weber is very worn out

Negative space cowboy

Z24 are 89mm, you'd have to bore out the Z22 2mm, if you're doing that make sure you use the early block NOT THE D81. Unless youre gonna use a Z24 then lol good luck.

My weber chokes this engine I think. I believe that with SUs this think will really scream. And a different cam, but I feel as if the engine wants to go as is.

Don't get me wrong its a world of difference (coming from a tired L20b and a auto. I used the same head on this thing) but I feel as if it needs improvement. I just can't dial it in right. Even the carb, it just starts running real shitty from one day to the other.

Not to mention the damn oil its burning lol.

My advice: DO ALL PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE WHILE BUILDING THE ENGINE. EVERY GASKET, SEAL AND BEARING JUST DO IT FOR PIECE OF MIND AND FOR THE SAKE OF STARTING WITH A CLEAN SLATE. CHEAPING OUT NOW WILL COST YOU IN LONGRUN

Ask me how many quarts of oil I've burned through in 200 miles of driving ._.

Yeah so I was going to instal my "ZX" coilovers today but I ran into a bit of a problem

I got my 280zx rotor in the mail, look at this beautiful thing

20131021_115159.jpg

Anxious, I run to the shop to install these things. but weighing them in my hand I notice that they are HUGE!

So I compare them to the "ZX" rotors

20131021_124535.jpg

hmm wait hub looks a little weird

20131021_124432.jpg

20131021_124607.jpg

Wait they look like stock 510 struts

What the P/N on them

20131021_124643.jpg

ok looking at the spindle..

20131021_124714.jpg

FUCK.

FUCK.

I was hoping to pull my front wheels in, looks like thats not happening without camber plates. IDK about those brand new rotors either.