feedback on led tail light bulbs

my tail lights are quite dim on my 510 so i am thinking about ordering some led bulbs. i guess because the 510s are so low compared to todays vehicles and the coupe lights have the horizontal bars shadowing the lenses they almost look like they are not even on. they are not on in the pic though.they are about $20 each x 6 bulbs so i am wondering if they will actually be worth spending the $. they draw less power right? has anyone done this bulb install and were you happy with the results? IMG_0243.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about where your ordering from but it makes huge difference! I have used the replacement LED Lamps from here: 12v LED's and have had amazing success. I would caution you on ordering any LED lamps that look like the old school 'star trek' leds for replacement, those are the cheaper rip-off style that are very dim still. most modern bright LEDs are flat and squarish looking. Examples:

Crappy and cheap:

CEGG0007.jpg

Nice and Bright:

18-SMD-LED-Car-1-origin.jpg

It may cost a bit more in the short term but they save your plastic lenses (no heat) are much brighter and last FOREVER!

You might need a new one of them turn signal relay control thing-a-majigers.

LEDs sometimes cause the turn signals to flash faster than usual.... local Auto parts store should have an Electronic controller that works with them.

the right side has the old bulbs and the left has the new. look at the glow from the inside with the old bulbs and look at the concentrated glow of the new bulbs in the next pic. i quite obviously have the junk leds. with the leds plugged i have no brake or signal lights on the same side, the side with the old bulbs will flash though. as soon as i put the old 1157 back in the flashers and brake lights work. JUNK. in checked out the site provided and im not sure which style would be the best one to get. the same one posted in the pic? IMG_0949.jpg

so i will need to change the signals in the front to led too i guess right, or would the new flasher unit work with the old bulbs. any ideas on which exact bulbs are the best?

here is a token pic. i started my wet sand today and will be polishing by mid week after hours at my shop. i have all of my business decals finished that will go on the number plates and i wanted to polish before applying them. IMG_0276.jpg

I guess it would depend on the flasher unit as for how it would react with a combination of LED and incandescent bulbs. As long as it's not relying on the current draw, but can handle the current of the incandescents, then it should be fine. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get a solid state flasher and run it to a relay that could handle the incandescent current load.

I'm interested to see a parking vs brake light comp photo. The difference is usually not big enough for me. I've been selling LED's for 8 years now and I have still not seen a bulb that I've liked for brake/run/turn signal applications. Parking/corner lamps ones work fine.

I've seen some people take the DOT approved ones and make them fit in their housings. They are bright. The last conversion I saw used a 4" round from a semi trailor. There is a big difference from running brightness to stop brightness.

The flasher does not care what type of bulb type your using. you can use the OEM stuff up front and LED in the back, but you WILL still get a tweaker blinker. Look for an electronic flasher unit. I think they are $25 and they work very well.

You can get LED flasher units at NAPA and probably other places. We sell them for big trucks, as many of those run LED running lights, etc. nowadays. With LEDs and a regular flasher, the lights won't flash because there's not enough resistance to cycle the flasher unit.

• 1 month later...

so here is the only bulb my local supplier had. junk? you tell me. IMG_0950.jpg

hey Tyson,

V-LEDS.com just across the border has a great choice in LED bulbs for all applications. Have done my Dime from front to back, including all dash lights. The turn signals require resisters 3OHM for 2 bulbs, 6OHm for 4 bulbs. Or just change to a new electronic flasher it does not care about resistance. I tried the bulbs u have in the package, they were not very bright. Changed to the V-LEDs .

I'm interested to see a parking vs brake light comp photo. The difference is usually not big enough for me. I've been selling LED's for 8 years now and I have still not seen a bulb that I've liked for brake/run/turn signal applications. Parking/corner lamps ones work fine.

I've seen some people take the DOT approved ones and make them fit in their housings. They are bright. The last conversion I saw used a 4" round from a semi trailor. There is a big difference from running brightness to stop brightness.

The flasher does not care what type of bulb type your using. you can use the OEM stuff up front and LED in the back, but you WILL still get a tweaker blinker. Look for an electronic flasher unit. I think they are $25 and they work very well.

I think I got my Electronic flasher for ~$8 at auto zone.

EDIT: Looks to be $7 online. I THINK this is the one I snagged for turn signals. Then got one with a higher max for the emergency flashers from NAPA.

LED's often offer much more lumens and lifespan than their incandescent counterparts, but it is at a cost. Most cheaper LED's have a spotlight effect, a benefit for most applications, but not usually for car applications. I have seen some good LED bulbs, but they are often expensive, so I have never bothered with them yet. I prefer a high quality incandescent that offers a bright white white light that uses the same amperage and voltage as the stock bulb so that I don't have to change flashers or worry about if I am buying one of the "good" LED bulbs.

With that said, LED's are getting cheaper and better every day, if you find a good set up bulbs(for the right price), I would say it is worth the expenditure.

LED's often offer much more lumens and lifespan than their incandescent counterparts, but it is at a cost. Most cheaper LED's have a spotlight effect, a benefit for most applications, but not usually for car applications. I have seen some good LED bulbs, but they are often expensive, so I have never bothered with them yet. I prefer a high quality incandescent that offers a bright white white light that uses the same amperage and voltage as the stock bulb so that I don't have to change flashers or worry about if I am buying one of the "good" LED bulbs.

With that said, LED's are getting cheaper and better every day, if you find a good set up bulbs(for the right price), I would say it is worth the expenditure.

Yes, your right about the expense. I think i paid in range of $40.00 bulb from V-LEDS. but i have 72 hi intensity Leds per bulb, low amps, and twice the brightness. Not sure how long they will last. (Manufacture claims 20 times the life span) Avantage is very little load on our old wiring, and able to be seen in daylight.

I've seen some people take the DOT approved ones and make them fit in their housings.

Thats what I did. The only thing though is that I had to cut up my tail light buckets to fit them.

I'm interested to see a parking vs brake light comp photo.

Well since you asked........

DSCN0310.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg