Just got a 620

jputz

Well picked up a 74 620 saturday and all I had to do was put a battery in it and go.

I will have pics up tonight when I get home tonight.

Anyways I have a question. This might just be something that I have to live with but my speedo bounces about 10mph at any given speed. Like when I am trying to maintain 55mph the speedo is jumping from 50 to 60mph so I am just guessing how fast I am actually going. Is there any way to fix this or am I stuck with it?

Thanks for the help I will have pics for yall up tonight.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys here are the pics I promised......

P4040013.jpg

P4040014.jpg

P4040015.jpg

P4040016.jpg

P4040017.jpg

P4040018.jpg

P4040019.jpg

P4040020.jpg

Alright guys let me know what you think. Plans are as follows...

1. LOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. 5 Speed swap

3. Daily it till my VG510 is done then engine swap.

• Like 1

If you disconnect the speedometer cable from the transmission, and pull the inner cable out, clean it, and put fresh grease on it, it might help.

This is it.

Use a molybdenum disulphide or dry graphite powder for speedo lube. The inner cable is dry or rusted (possibly the outer sheath is damaged) and momentarily catches against it. The drive keeps turning and the cable stors this twisting energy until it suddenly lets go and the needle jumps... and this keeps repeating.

Thanks for the props guys. Truck will be getting dropped, washed, and the mirrors will come off this weekend, hopefully. My birthday party saturday and got to pick up the parts truck sunday. Oh did I forget to mention that the 620s twin brother came with the deal!!!! HEHEHE.

thanks guys, yeah I got a pretty good deal on both of them. The parts truck looks complete, needs a wash to, been sitting for a few years but the owner said it ran when he parked it so we will keep our fingers crossed. It comes with a rebuilt motor, weber carb, header, offenhauser intake, and mallory distributor.

620doof... i got a 3 inch kit.

Alright guys got the parts truck back lastnight after fighting with it for two hours to get it on the trailer. Turns out the Pass side rear wheel and the drivers side front wheel were locked up!!!! the drivers front broke free while we were pulling it up on the trailer but the pass rear wheel is still locked up tighter than dicks hat band. Anyways its home and I will try to post pics of it tonight.

Alright now for the questions.

1. How would you recommend freeing up the rear wheel??? I cant even get the drum off!!!!!!!!!

2. Will an intake and exhaust minfolds off of a L20 fit on an L18???

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

I promise pics after work!!!!

Rear brake drum? :blink: :unsure: :angry:

Sometimes they are the worst to remove. On the bottom of the backing plate,there's an adjustment wheel. Using a brake adjusting tool-basically a bent screwdriver,you have to adjust the shoes away from the drum. Or,like most 620s,the adjuster is frozen too. You'll probably end up like most guys and use a combination of Liquid Wrench,heat,a BFH ,and most important,patience.

If it won't turn,it sounds like the shoes are stuck. A little heat and hammering ought to break it free. Some drums have 2 threaded holes on the face. Bolts fit in there to (supposedly) get the drum off. IF you don't strip the threads first.

If you want to save your studs while hammering,put the lug nuts on first. Ask me how I know...

Can't wait for the pics. Keep us updated!

brake.jpg

alright guys here are the pics of the parts truck I picked up this weekend. By the way, dad popped up friday for my birthday and fell in love with mine. When I told him I was going to get another one he said, "It's MINE", so i guess this one will get fixed and given to him.

Alright on with the pics...

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

Webber Carb

IMAG0109.jpg

Offenhauser Intake

IMAG0110.jpg

Header

IMAG0111.jpg

Mallory Dizzy

IMAG0112.jpg

Thought these were cool

IMAG0107.jpg

So what you think? Thinking about swapping the intake, header, carb, and dizzy onto my truck. Will the intake and header fit??

Alright guys, installed the lowering blocks on my turck (the '74) and noticed that the carrier bearing was completly gone! Guess that was one of the noises that I was hearing the little bit that I did drive it. Now is there any benifit to getting a one piece driveshaft as the bearing is right at $100 and a one piece shaft is about $200? I will probably do some more shopping around but I was just throwing it out there. I still have to turn the torsion bars down in the front so its sitting with a slight rake right now.

Worked on my parts/dads truck this weekend as well and started trying to get it running. Found out it that it needs a starter... Dads picking one up this week and we will throw it on and move on to the next issue.