Dime in the rough

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And progress continues. Welded in a small drivers side patch in the floor, then cleaned and sealed all the floors, (what a nice look)

DSC04677.jpg

Victory lit a fire under everybody's asses. She decided this thing is in the way. With non stop fucking rain, it's hard to put a bare metal car in the weather. Now we have 4 cars in the shop, along with a crap load of parts. It seems we still have enough room for 3-4 people to work on projects. Vic started final sanding on Friday when she got home from her real job. Then Saturday came along and Victory, Atom and Phil went to town on it.

Late night came and the car was masked and ready for paint. We sealed the car in an epoxy sealer, but had a few problems with fisheye. So this morning I sanded the entire car again. WTF, Then wiped the car down with cleaner, installed a new disposable filter on my permanent filter, Mixed up some more epoxy and bam, looks great

DSC04691.jpg

DSC04692.jpg

DSC04697.jpg

DSC04712.jpg

DSC04717.jpg

DSC04722.jpg

DSC04720.jpg

DSC04728.jpg

DSC04735.jpg

DSC04736.jpg

DSC04738.jpg

DSC04740.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks to my lovely wife and Phil and Atom for all your help on this one.

Thanks Eric, amazes me when people come together.

So I sealed it in black DP90LF, seemed to spray out much better.

Allowed to dry and nibbed it with 600gt, tacked it and and painted red. Has an orange cast to it, some of the pics came out Orange

photo5.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo16.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo17.jpg

DSC04749.jpg

DSC04750.jpg

DSC04751.jpg

Next step doors, quarter windows, hinges, and cowl

Out side in the sun aspect of the car.

DSC04752.jpg

Finished all of the remaining parts to Big Red. This weekend we'll be putting her back together.

DSC04772.jpg

DSC04773.jpg

DSC04774.jpg

DSC04775.jpg

DSC04778.jpg

DSC04781.jpg

DSC04777.jpg

I've done some many 510 with black window frames lately, it was nice painting this car all one color. Not planning on any black paint on this car.

Victory stripped the wheels

DSC04770.jpg

Headliner and windows this weekend

Big Red is coming along nicely. Lowered the rear and installed the new 280zx wheels and tires.

Installed a almost new trunk rubber. Just getting started on the black headliner. Looks like the headliner will go smoothly, with Atoms help we git it layed up and glued in. Tomorrow I will be finishing off the A, B, and C pillars. I want to have the windows in by the end of the week

I have to repaint the trunk lid. Dave Pare used it for a PLUG, for his new trunk lid mold. Didn't realize the paint needed to cure more, a textured film imprinted on the fresh paint.

Time to resand and spray another coat.

DSC04783.jpg

DSC04784.jpg

DSC04785.jpg

DSC04791.jpg

Lookin' good, lookin' good. Is that an actuall 510 headliner or just some material? Do you have any more pics of the install. Since you do so many, next time you should do a write up on it.

And what did you use for stripping the wheels? And then buffed them? Is that a single spoke painted? I like it, I was going to do the same.

Atom Church is teaching me how to do a headliner. He did his and it came out great. You can buy a headliner on ebay 99 bucks.

Yep the wife striped the wheels with chemical aircraft stripper. and a red scotch bright.

I polished one with chrome polish, and painted one spoke, but we are going to take the paint back off. It did not come out the way i wanted it to. Though about a red spoke, But i don't like the look of the wheels matching the paint job.

We have this car for sale but might have to drive it for awhile to save some gas. The complete project is turning out better then i thought.

SOLD

But on with finishing Big Red

Coil overs on 200sx struts with 4 piston Toyota calipers. Install fresh break lines and re bled them.

Cleaned and blacked out the inner fender wells, and rad support

DSC04827.jpg

DSC04850.jpg

DSC04857.jpg

DSC04858.jpg

DSC04859.jpg

DSC04860.jpg

DSC04863.jpg

DSC04862.jpg

DSC04864.jpg

Red white and blue

DSC04865.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You are some impatient bitches

Here we go, go now. Jane says have you seen my dime around it is red hot.

Installed painted black vents to go with the black headliner, then installed windows.

NOS rear window rubber and precision front rubber. Seemed to work out great. Got most the chrome channel in also. (had to look for awhile but found some in my stash.

lasvagas11_242.jpg

lasvagas11_243.jpg

lasvagas11_244.jpg

lasvagas11_245.jpg

lasvagas11_246.jpg

lasvagas11_247.jpg

lasvagas11_248.jpg

One thing at a time. This car came mostly complete, but the more I put it together the more parts are missing or just completely not worth using. Spent a good part of the day digging through 5gl. buckets of bolts, nuts and screws. Here is where we ended up. 1/4er windows in, vents in, red running lights in and a few other interior parts. Doesn't seem like much but it sure did take all day.

lasvagas11_255.jpg

lasvagas11_254.jpg

lasvagas11_253.jpg

The black pinch molding was in bad shape. I ended up using 4 door rear door pinch molding, just barley has the length.

That was the 1st headliner and maybe the last. It was not fun. I would rather paint something and get paid. Then take that money and have a headliner guy take care of the headliner. There is a difference, I paid $420 for the headliner in the White Knight, it looked great. This one looks good, way better then a factory old one. Also way better then not having a headliner.