71 510, 4door, vg30 swap in progress...

4cfed510

I Purchased this dime from an old guy here in socal for $250.

P1014819.jpg

P1014818.jpg

It actually ran when i bought it, and I was able to drive it a couple hundred feet under its own power and with NO BRAKES!!! :shock: !!

I Just wanted to start a thread to document my progress, so updates will come shortly as I now have to finish this car ASAP!

Here is where I stand at the moment...

l_a33274c4d624856366af91ba62b58768.jpg

So im now looking for a 5 speed from a NA z31300zx so i can get a driveshaft measurement. i have everytrans from a z31 here except that one. How lame is that?

I have a thread on the510realm as well located here http://www.the510rea...php?f=3&t=13092

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SRSANDS is sell in g a VG exhaust. you should get it.

Persoanlly I think you should get the L motor going if it isnt going already.Just to see if you have the talent

Icehouse has new relay boxes for the wire haness for the ECU ect....

I was hoping to swap engines like a week after I got my dime, bug I've fallen in love with my L. I say slap in an L and take the time to build an really badass VG.

Here's my cousin's VG 510: http://www.vondrachek.org/automotive/datsuns/vg30_project/

Sweet project you will love it. I got a driveline that I cut down and welded and used for sometime. If your interested 50 bucks plus shipping. All you would need to do is have a shop double check the welds and balance it but its already the perfect length

Sweet project you will love it. I got a driveline that I cut down and welded and used for sometime. If your interested 50 bucks plus shipping. All you would need to do is have a shop double check the welds and balance it but its already the perfect length

I am EXTREMELY interested. Of Course it would only work out if we used the same setup i would guess, right? I am using the vg30.com motor mounts and na z31 5speed. And will be running the stock rear end for the 71 4 door for the time being. Is this what you ran? Send me your paypal if you did:)

Be careful on the driveshaft purchase. You are correct that unless you're using the same motor mounts as he was, it may not work.

I agree with the other comments about cleaning up the engine bay while the motor is out. Now is the time to do it. When I did mine I even smoothed a lot of the junk off the firewall, and filled in most of the holes.

Exactly my set up..

Just make sure its a 71c trans not the huge T5

Awesome. I have a wtb ad up right now for a 71c. I already tried stuffing the t5 in there but thats not gonna happen, lol.

Send me a pic and a price shipped to 91360 and let's make a deal!

A few questions....

Looking for radiator ideas. I Have no idea as of right now what im gonna do for that dept.

Also Fuel pump ideas. I have searched a little and looks like there is a vw pump out there somewhere with integral surge tank? Any input or point me in a direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A few questions....

Looking for radiator ideas. I Have no idea as of right now what im gonna do for that dept.

Also Fuel pump ideas. I have searched a little and looks like there is a vw pump out there somewhere with integral surge tank? Any input or point me in a direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am running a VW VR6 radiator with no filler, then a Moroso filler neck. It fits pefect between the frame rails. Its hard to explain how it mounts but it uses exsisting holes in the 510 core support as well as stock threaded holes in the VW plastic end tanks, works real well. It also does a good job keeping the VG at a decent temp As far as a fuel pump I am using a Volvo Turbo fuel pump mounted on the face of my rear xmember on rubber bushings from a set of old shocks :) I do have a slight surge issue still but it wasnt bad enough to not rally all summer. You could pull your 510 tank out and fill it with water to make sure its not full of dangerous fumes, then cut and weld a internal one from a 240sx or something but I havent done this yet

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...