The Dat521 project

Gensaiken

So, figured I'd toss my thread in here with all the others that show up every day. :D

My brother finally just sent me some pictures to me ( truck is located 200miles away from me)

DSC02243.jpg

DSC02245.jpgDSC02244.jpg

At the moment it needs a motor, I have one I was going to put in to another 510 but I guess it'll go in this truck instead. I'm looking forward to learning about the 521 since i've had nothing but 510's. I would have liked a 620 but you take whats available. :D

I don't think it'll get quite the same treatment that my silver 510 did but i'll do my best to make it look great.

Everything seems to be there and in good shape. The interior is amazingly perfect. The bench seat looks like it was redone. Definately makes my job easier!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill be folowing this project. Lemme know if you need any help/advice, ive learned alot about my 521 in the short time ive owned it. Yours looks all there & not destroyed...:cool:

Yeah. This project won't get started for a while since it is so far away. I'll post some progress pics when it does get moving.

It was some one's daily driver for a few years but after the motor blew it kind of sat to the side... so it looks like its been taken pretty good care of. Hopefully not much will need replacement but likely after I get it running i'll start on some needed modifications.

I'll hit you up if I need some info. Thanks.

Bolt in a L motor in a Day!!!!!!!

thats thing will be running if the gas isnt jelly

How bout a few hours..thats including cleaning the engine bay :thumbup: Use hand cleaner on the wiring harness to clean it up..[Hainz tip] I did mine & it worked great :D

Bolt in a L motor in a Day!!!!!!!

thats thing will be running if the gas isnt jelly

Thats whats going in. Don't want to complicate anything by putting a diffrent motor in there. I SHOULD be running in a day but i'm going to take my time... Gotta paint the engine bay before I put the motor in and then hopefully everything is still good in the other motor..

Lot of variables but a pretty stock L16 is going back in. Maybe in the future it'll get something with a bit more umph. Who knows it could get the motor in my current 510. Although a VG would be nice to shove in there...:cool:

hmm, i'll take a closer look at it when I get a chance. It might be a while before I get to look over the truck closely.

I will likely be putting a wink mirror in there...

Suprised there is so much intrest. I think it looks pretty great for a $100 truck. :D

PS: for those wondering whats under that car cover.. thats my first 2dr 510 that I got for $65. It was complete and with a little work actually ran. Unfortunately in my early and less experinced period I decided it couldn't be saved due to basicly NOTHING in rust damage and stripped it and chopped the tail light panel off... in the next bay over where you can't see is a complete 510 wagon. My dad supports the storage of my habbit as long as these vehicles stop showing up :D

• 1 month later...

Well i'm about to begin this project. Been waiting a long while but I finally moved down to where the truck is at.

I have a few questions. I know some of the answers might be straight forward but I just want to confirm before I waste my time when I didn't have to.

1. Is 510 oil pan the same as 521? (I assume no, but it'd be nice if it was :D) (for reference a L16 came out and a L16 is going back in)

2. 510 radiator the same as 521? What are some easy replacements for stock 521 radiator?

3. Is 510 4speed trans the same as 521? (mostly for certain parts, like throw out bearing and clutch)

I think those are my only questions at the moment. I'll try and get a some new pics up soon.

1. both oil pans should be the same as long as they're both L 16's. The L 20 ones are a bit taller

2. radiators should be the same capacity wise but the bolt holes may be off, easy fix just redrill new holes. Make sure the inlet & outlet ports are the same. VW Scirrocco & Pontiac Fiero units have been swapped in but require some fab work.

3. tranny's should be the same. Check the length though.

Well i'm about to begin this project. Been waiting a long while but I finally moved down to where the truck is at.

I have a few questions. I know some of the answers might be straight forward but I just want to confirm before I waste my time when I didn't have to.

1. Is 510 oil pan the same as 521? (I assume no, but it'd be nice if it was :D) (for reference a L16 came out and a L16 is going back in)

2. 510 radiator the same as 521? What are some easy replacements for stock 521 radiator?

3. Is 510 4speed trans the same as 521? (mostly for certain parts, like throw out bearing and clutch)

I think those are my only questions at the moment. I'll try and get a some new pics up soon.

I'm no pro but when I took my L18 out of my dime and put it into the 521 I got really agitated trying to fit it until I looked at my 521 parts truck with the stock L16 and saw a DIFFERENT oil pan.

The oil pans on mine were totally different. After the oil pan swap, it went in the bay with no probs.

• Like 1

Well I took a bit of time today to clean the truck out a bit and start taking a few things apart. Mostly cleaning out the junk that has been added on to the truck over the years. Mostly crappy little lights that were added for no reason.

If anyone has a wiring diagram I'd appreciate it just so I can see what connects to what.

Like I said above I started today mostly removing the crap that had been added to the truck over time. Started with the front and removing some small front lights.. not sure what they were used for. Figured i'd also remove some of the front trim pieces to clean them up a bit.

0403081907b.jpg

tried to clean up the engine bay a bit.. lot of wires... so anyone who can hook me up with a wiring diagram would be awsome

0403081907.jpg

0403081907a.jpg

Took some time to also clean up the rear.. Noticed I have no rear bumper and the rear tail lights have been replaced with some crap.. so now i'm on the hunt for a lot of stock stuff.

0403081722.jpg

0403081909.jpg

I took the badges off the fenders and noticed they are made of metal. Is that normal? Also do they normally have screws in them along with the pins? I'm assuming no, but the holes there look like they belong there for some reason..

0403081908.jpg

Heres a few other pictures. Of the wheels (hopefully I can find some cool replacements. The crappy sun roof and the interior. With the interior they basically stretched some material over the stock vinyl seats. So the vinyl seats under it could be in great shape but i'm not holding my breath.

0403081722a.jpg

0403081723.jpg

0403081722b.jpg

It also seems I'm missing a lot of the stock switches.. not sure why but I think it'll take a while to track them down. Unfortunately I went to a wrecking yard that I knew had some 521s and it looks like they had crushed them since I had been there. Only had some 620s left. Oh well, I think I can find some else where.

In the next few days I'll be doing a few color touch ups in the engine bay and some other cleaning before I begin to put the motor in.

In regards to your oil pan interchange. I know that the 510 and the 620 have different oil pans. 510 is front sump (i think) and the 620 is rear sump. Now i know that you are working with a 521, but the 521 and the 620 share the same front suspension and steering, so my bet is you cant use the 510 pan in a 521.

Jason

man you're pictures bring back memories

doesn't look like you're missing any switches, just that somebody drilled a bunch of holes where they shouldn't have!

yeah you'll definitely want to acquire a 521 oil pan.

if you pm me with your email, I'll send you a copy of the wiring diagram I have

man you're pictures bring back memories

doesn't look like you're missing any switches, just that somebody drilled a bunch of holes where they shouldn't have!

yeah you'll definitely want to acquire a 521 oil pan.

if you pm me with your email, I'll send you a copy of the wiring diagram I have

hmm, how weird.. I have a 521 oil pan. I'll just have to make sure I get a gasket for it.

I'll shoot you a PM.

http://www.the620.com has wiring diagrams for the 521...

looks like the red & yellow wires were added on & can be tossed...

this is a nasty before pic of my 521 but you can see how simple the wiring is....

5-16eng.jpg

the fender emblems should just have pins holding them in place...

i like the pathfinder rims,look good when shined up...

Dash looks ok & the radio hole has never been widened...

taillights may be hard to find but keep looking...

keep the pics coming :D

Might I suggest using 520 tail lights with a roll pan or no roll pan. unless you have the stock tails which are getting harder to find not broken.

THE PANS from a 510 to 521 are NOT the same. Use a 521 pan but be sure to check your oil dipstick and pickup tube, mine were different but I also used a Z22 motor which you also need to clear one spot in the front for a rod that will hit the pan.

If you run into probs with the wiring then let us know. I wired my 521.

Happy wrenching.

2eDeYe;50594']Quality custom work right there :lol:

0403081722.jpg

actuall if you think about it... that truck had no backup lights at all. :lol:

http://www.the620.com has wiring diagrams for the 521...

looks like the red & yellow wires were added on & can be tossed...

this is a nasty before pic of my 521 but you can see how simple the wiring is....

the fender emblems should just have pins holding them in place...

i like the pathfinder rims' date='look good when shined up...

Dash looks ok & the radio hole has never been widened...

taillights may be hard to find but keep looking...

keep the pics coming :D

[/b']

Hmm, yeah there are quite a few "custom" things done with the wiring. Its just a matter of finding out what was done to require so much custom work..

About the fender emblems... one side had no pins so.. screws kind of make sense.. the other side had ALL of its pins still intact and they were holding it on and it STILL got screws put in to it...

Definately a work in progress.. this is one of those times I wish I had a local datsun expert or some one who atleast knew what they were doing :D

I've never done any work like this.. just hope I don't mess it up!

I'll be hitting up some yards today searching for some parts. I know they are out here!