The Dat521 project

Gensaiken

Alright, got a few things done yesterday and today.. need to start working earlier.. Anyways I've been mostly cleaning and doing a little prep for some rattle can black. Ran out of paint today so had to stop.

But heres some new pics.

0405081917a.jpg

0405081917.jpg

0405081919.jpg

Ran out of paint. I'll finish it up tomorrow.

I think this truck mainly needed some cleaning up. Hopefully I can find a source of 521 parts in Southern oregon.. All my sources seem to have dried up. Mostly need small pieces.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So its been a little while and slow progress has been made. Finished painting the inside of the hood which makes it look a whole lot better than having that half black half turquoise look. I never understand why it is so hard for people to just paint the inside of the hood..

0406081452.jpg

Paint in the engine bay has been finished up. I'd like to do a lot more cleaning but that would require me to take more of the truck apart which is the opposite of what I want to be doing. So hopefully I can manage to ignore the parts I can't clean.

0406081453.jpg

I put on the 521 Oil pan, the motor I had came with a 510 oil pan which is WAY diffrent. This was the first time I've swapped out an oil pan so it was a bit tricky.

0409081821.jpg

0409081822.jpg

I managed to get it all together and I painted the oil pan and also painted the block. So hard to find the right color in engine block paint. The gray came out too light. I wanted it kind of darker but oh well.

0411081816.jpg

Atleast it doesn't look as bad as it did before! :D

I've been slowly tracking down the parts I need to put in to get the truck running agian. I decided to swap out the ugly smog exhaust manafold for a slightly more clean one off a 510. Looks the same minus those ugly tubes sticking out of it. I'd like to get it thermodyned but the place that used to do it stopped. Not only did that coating make it look nice but it would also release heat more efficently or something.. Oh well.

I've been slowly checking the parts that came with the truck to make sure they work before I start bolting it all on. Starter is still good, but the alternator looked like crap so I stole one off my 510 wagon. Hopefully it is good when I get it tested... Having a lot of trouble finding a parts store that stocks a throw out bearing for a 521. Going to get the radiator flushed, resurface the flywheel and maybe replace the clutch... I dunno I guess its a good idea to do it while its out..

Still on the hunt for a few small pieces to finish other parts of the truck:

Tail lights (left and right)

Column ignition piece

Drivers side front marker lens

I think thats all for the moment which isn't too bad.

Once the truck gets closer to completion I'll do some powder coating and look in to some cooler wheels :cool:

So progress has been slow.

I'm currently waiting on a new clutch kit before I can get everything together and in the truck. Been doing all the little things till the clutch kit arrives.

I've tested the starter and alternator which both work. Had the flywheel resurfaced cost me $20. Had the radiator cleaned out which cost me $65 but it'll be peace of mind that it won't get too hot in the summer.

Finished touching up the pain on the grill and other front end pieces.

Repainted the badge on the hood.

0413080111.jpg

How it looks on the hood

0413081614.jpg

I've also been looking for some better wheels. I came across these but they might be a bit too spendy.. I photoshoped them on this truck to get an idea of how they'd look. Wonder what you guys think..

521wheels.jpg

anyways.. more pictures when stuff starts happening.

sweet. any progress is better than none.

personally, I recommend you pick the wheels much later- when you're closer to being done, then you can focus your time and money on finishing the swap.

reminds me to get working on my 510 and do the brakes on the roadster! (and figure out my electrical issues on the 521)

sweet. any progress is better than none.

personally, I recommend you pick the wheels much later- when you're closer to being done, then you can focus your time and money on finishing the swap.

reminds me to get working on my 510 and do the brakes on the roadster! (and figure out my electrical issues on the 521)

I have nothing else to focus on right now since i'm sitting and waiting. So I figure i'd look in to some options. It'll be quite a while before I drop any cash on wheels and tires.

• 2 weeks later...

Well some progress has been made. I've recieve the clutch kit which ended up costing more than expected due to freight costs. Still came out to a good deal. I've been getting ready to put the motor in the truck but have been finding out what should happen before that happens.

I do have a question for those who have installed a motor in a 521. Do you recomend assembling trans and motor before installing it? Or can you do the engine and then the trans? Which is easier? Also when removing the trans in a 521 what do you have to remove to get it out? Just the trans mount? or are there other pieces that need to come out?

The main delays right now are waiting for a few small pieces. One of the main ones I need to persue is the flywheel bolts. For some reason they didn't come with the truck. Kind of annoying... so now I got to hunt them down... does nissan still sell them?

Other than waiting for some parts everything else seems to be going well. Hopefully I will be able to get everything hooked back up.

Well i'm about to begin this project. Been waiting a long while but I finally moved down to where the truck is at.

I have a few questions. I know some of the answers might be straight forward but I just want to confirm before I waste my time when I didn't have to.

1. Is 510 oil pan the same as 521? (I assume no, but it'd be nice if it was :D) (for reference a L16 came out and a L16 is going back in)

2. 510 radiator the same as 521? What are some easy replacements for stock 521 radiator?

3. Is 510 4speed trans the same as 521? (mostly for certain parts, like throw out bearing and clutch)

I think those are my only questions at the moment. I'll try and get a some new pics up soon.

oil pans are different from 521 to 510 and even 620.

Do you recomend assembling trans and motor before installing it? Or can you do the engine and then the trans? Which is easier? Also when removing the trans in a 521 what do you have to remove to get it out? Just the trans mount? or are there other pieces that need to come out?

I personally found it pretty easy putting the motor and tranny in as one unit. I also recommend a load leveler if you don't already have one for your hoist. this makes it possible to even do it by yourself! and yeah I'm pretty sure the trans mount is the only thing to disconnect but it is a little like playing tetris to get it out.

I personally found it pretty easy putting the motor and tranny in as one unit. I also recommend a load leveler if you don't already have one for your hoist. this makes it possible to even do it by yourself! and yeah I'm pretty sure the trans mount is the only thing to disconnect but it is a little like playing tetris to get it out.

Hmm, I'll look in to this load leveler. It looks like an interesting tool.

Hopefully I'll be able to wedge it in there. Looks like there is a lot in the way.

Thanks. Although I think my main issue right now is locating bolts so I can bolt my flywheel to the crank.

Nissan is saying they are likely NLA and I dunno if the 521 flywheel bolt number is diffrent from the 510 part number. I don't know if anyone has an idea of where I can get a replacement bolt...

Heh, wasn't being sarcastic. Hopefully if I can find one of those the price will be reasonable.

gooooood. you never can tell on this forum!

I've seen them on ebay for around $30 including shipping.

hope you find those flywheel bolts!

• 2 weeks later...

hmm, I really should move this thread over to the projects section..

Anyways, I've made some progress but I guess I hit a bit of a snag.

Managed to get some flywheel bolts from nissan.

0504081641.jpg

Got the clutch and pressure plate all lined up.

0504081839.jpg

0504081838.jpg

0505081730.jpg

I had it all set up ready to go in

0510081244.jpg

0510081244a.jpg

Unfortunately there are some little tabs on the front lower suspension that the legs of the hoist are hitting. I'm not sure how everyone else managed to get everything in there but I was having quite a bit of trouble.

I might end up farming it out to a friend to get it in there but I didn't really want to take it over there till it was ready to get going.

Also I am having my seats and door panels reupholstered at the moment. They should be back on monday or tuesday. Hopefully they'll be looking great.

I'm still searching for some 521 parts. If anyone has some complete tail lights they want to sell and a spare ignition switch (where you stick the key in to start it) let me know. Might be interested in some of the small knobs as well. I think i'm missing one or two... anyways contact me if you have these pieces.

0405081917.jpg

Richard, you can unscrew those air injectors and replace with small pipe plugs. I did this and although it looks much the same on the outside the tubes are gone at least on the inside. The L20Bs were metric. I just took the pipe in to a hardware store and compared them to their stock.

Richard, you can unscrew those air injectors and replace with small pipe plugs. I did this and although it looks much the same on the outside the tubes are gone at least on the inside. The L20Bs were metric. I just took the pipe in to a hardware store and compared them to their stock.

Yeah, I had one with out the tubes in it so I'm going to just swap it for that one.

If I need the other one i'll likely do something about the tubes.

Looks like you forgot to put the dust cover on (in between the flywheel and back of engine block) I wish I had $100 for every time I forgot that damn thing!:blink:

The one I used doesn't have to be put on before the flywheel. It goes on before you screw the trans to the block. It comes as a top and bottom.

I've also been looking for some better wheels. I came across these but they might be a bit too spendy.. I photoshoped them on this truck to get an idea of how they'd look. Wonder what you guys think..

521wheels.jpg

Enkeis? Looks good, I like them :D. Is that tan 521 static dropped? I saw another pic of it where it wasnt quite so low.