tire plugs

I had a tire plug kit in the back of the car, used it at 2 AM today so i could get 20 miles home, the plug worked great! Question is the package says to take it to a tire shop to get it fixed as soon as possible, i really dont want to spend 15 to 20 bucks to patch a 12 year old tire.

In general i use this car just to go back and forth to work, maybe 150 miles a month

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My old neighbor had one in for the rest of the life of his tire. As long as you clean and rasp it out. He used to put gobs of rubber cement on the plug and install them. Be sure to trim off excess sticking out.

Bias ply tires used to be fixed with plugs but a patch on the inside is best for a radial.

Although a temp fix they can last a long time so always be prepared to change or fix it again at the most inconvenient time.

Id be curious if a tire store would even patch a 12 year old tire anymore due to their "tire life and safety" B.S.

As far as running it though, Im with everybody else, run it and call it good. If you do end up breaking a belt you will know it, you might get a bulge in the tire or uneven treadwear in one spot. You will probably feel it before you see it. Just keep an eye on it for a bit.

I tore a huge chunk out of the sidewalk of my tire screwing around in the snow and it leaked a lot of air. Some shoe glue and epoxy put the cm sized flap back in it's place an holds air fine. Not to thread jack but is this safe? I've been rolling the tires for coming up on two years so they are pretty smooth anyways