bogging down

It all started yesterday, I was driving to work in the afternoon merging onto the freeway from the on ramp. I got on it a bit to match the flow of traffic and she decided to bogg down on me making me slow down until it stopped causing me to be the slowest car on the road. I got to work and unplugged the fuel line and blew threw it like the p/o told me and I had no problem driving it home last night. But halfway to my destination this morning it starts again, i can drive on the street no problem but trying to drive at highway speeds she starts the bog.Any ideas on what the problem is? I wanted to drive it the rest of the week but if I can't get it fixed before my afternoon job I'll have to park it and drive my lame honda. I'm in OC right now santa ana / tustin area if any of you locals could be of some help id appreciate it.

O yea almost forgot I have an l20b with a weber carb 32/46 I believe

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel pump or fuel filter, likely.

I had the pump go bad rather suddenly in my truck 2 weeks ago, but it was preceded by a lot of pinging and an intake backfire going up hills at freeway speed. Changed the filter with no change in behavior, changing the pump solved it. Filter would have similar symptoms though.

New filter may already be plugged. If there's rust in the tank and/or lines it will plug up very rapidly. I had to take the tank out of my Wagon to flush all that crap out, and it turned out it was the vapor tank that was rusting, and the vapor tank hoses disintegrating, that was plugging up my filters in under 50 miles.

yeah man, your gonna have to go through the fuel system to see where the blockage is at...

it only happens on the freeway cuz you need more fuel to go that fast...

change the filter again, and add one right by the tank if you can... i have 2 on my truck.. ones by the tank to take the brunt of shit and ones by the carb just to be sure..

good luck

yeah i bet if you just put new filters on it for the next couple weeks and run some good gas itll prolly clean out..

but your best bet would be pullin the tank, cleaning it out, and then blowin out the fuel lines with a compressor..

then put it all back together with new filters..

Have you been driving it close to empty? Thought it was good specially on the trip from sac to la. More stuff probably got loose in the tank. Pull it out and try to get most of it out. Or take it to get cleaned. Happend once and I thought we got everything out. While you're at it do a tune up. Order the parts for a 79 620 pu. Cause you Gots a l20 with a matchbox dizzy.

Replace the filter. Cut the old one open and examine the contents. If full of crap then the tank needs cleaning out.

This is an easy check and will prevent you from pulling the tank out if not needed... what if the fuel hard line has been pinched?

Mike I drove the car for a couple days. With a huge clear filter. Tons of debris. Drained the tank. New filter. Clean fuel!! Warned him it might clog again. It did . It's not a big problem. Just the time to get the tank out and clean it. Line is clogged now. Blow it back to the tank.

Yes I'm going with James .

New filter may already be plugged. If there's rust in the tank and/or lines it will plug up very rapidly. I had to take the tank out of my Wagon to flush all that crap out, and it turned out it was the vapor tank that was rusting, and the vapor tank hoses disintegrating, that was plugging up my filters in under 50 miles.

Funny you say that, my tank looked GREAT on the inside of my 521. However, the vapor tank hoses are shotty looking, and theres a bunch of sand junk around it, and guess what was in my tank? Sand n junk.. Its cleaned up now, hopefully solves it. (new hoses too)