NEVER BEFORE SEEN IN A 620

620Reaper

I totally agree with you guys. Are there any 5 lug conversion kits for my axle?

there arnt "kits" for hardly anything.

dattos arnt like rockin a 240sx or a honder-derp if you want it you gotta make it and go dig it outa the JY.

building a whole custom car with stuff ordered off some JDM-tight site isnt an option

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arent IRS differentials suppose to improve handling? If they were pointless they wouldnt exist. IRS diff's are good for any type of racing scene. Straight axles in my opinion are really good for 1/4 miles and hauling stuff.

well, are you planning on racing it? we all know irs is great for certain styles of driving, but how are you gonna drive your 620? i would bet you dont NEED irs

toyota 5 lug rearend........

Arent IRS differentials suppose to improve handling? If they were pointless they wouldnt exist. IRS diff's are good for any type of racing scene. Straight axles in my opinion are really good for 1/4 miles and hauling stuff.

Right, it's..... a truck!!!.

IRS, by the time you add 1,200 lb rear springs and a 1 1/2" rear sway bar, are so stiff you may as well have a solid axle. A lowered solid axle does not have the inherent camber problems associated with lowering an IRS rear. If you want IRS get an IRS car. Converting a heavy frame with forward weight bias truck to an experimental IRS is dubious at best. It may handle a bit better but it won't handle like a car. It's worth thinking about, but maybe later as I think there are much more important things to sort out. like motor and tranny.

well, are you planning on racing it? we all know irs is great for certain styles of driving, but how are you gonna drive your 620? i would bet you dont NEED irs

Which year toyota axle would be good to use? And what about the front axles would i have to go toyota also?

I would like to drive my truck as a daily driver, and whenever i feel like it go out to the track and circuit race, drift, or maybe race a big bad honda mini van on the street!

Right, it's..... a truck!!!.

IRS, by the time you add 1,200 lb rear springs and a 1 1/2" rear sway bar, are so stiff you may as well have a solid axle. A lowered solid axle does not have the inherent camber problems associated with lowering an IRS rear. If you want IRS get an IRS car. Converting a heavy frame with forward weight bias truck to an experimental IRS is dubious at best. It may handle a bit better but it won't handle like a car. It's worth thinking about, but maybe later as I think there are much more important things to sort out. like motor and tranny.

Very true about the camber ive seen 350z's with horrible alignment in the rear. Im gonna have to take your advise on this one for now. Looks like i found someone on here that can give me the measurements on a ka24de motor mount swap.

there arnt "kits" for hardly anything.

dattos arnt like rockin a 240sx or a honder-derp if you want it you gotta make it and go dig it outa the JY.

building a whole custom car with stuff ordered off some JDM-tight site isnt an option

I guess thats one of the downfalls of owning a 620.<_<

not trying to destroy your dreams man, anythings possible with some work, time, engineering, patience and money.

id hate to see someone get WAY over their head trying to do something they werent prepared to accomplish.

im with everyone else...fix it, enjoy it, learn from it you'll know what you want to do with it eventually!

good luck!!!!

So why 5 lug? Most guys go 5 lug to get a better selection of wheels that have a positive offset, to tuck into the fenders when they hammer the truck to the ground.

You want to know how to do a 5 lug swap? Here you go:

The rear:

Get a Toyota truck axle.

Axle width:

73-78 ~ 53"

79-83 ~ 55"

84-88 ~ 57"

89-95 ~ 58.5"

95-04 ~ 60"

Get your tape mesure out and figure out what works. Then you'll have to deal with spring mounts, and getting a custom made drive shaft. Cutting and welding required.

The front:

1. Convert the front to Hardbody suspension using custom upper control arms and modified lowers, have your spindle machined to accept a toyota hub and rotor. Search www.infamousnisssan.com for more info on converting a hard body suspension to 5 lug. Cutting and welding really not required.

It's a truck, not a race car. There are only two good uses for trucks, either use it as a truck, or lay it on the rockers.

So why 5 lug? Most guys go 5 lug to get a better selection of wheels that have a positive offset, to tuck into the fenders when they hammer the truck to the ground.

You want to know how to do a 5 lug swap? Here you go:

The rear:

Get a Toyota truck axle.

Axle width:

73-78 ~ 53"

79-83 ~ 55"

84-88 ~ 57"

89-95 ~ 58.5"

95-04 ~ 60"

Get your tape mesure out and figure out what works. Then you'll have to deal with spring mounts, and getting a custom made drive shaft. Cutting and welding required.

The front:

1. Convert the front to Hardbody suspension using custom upper control arms and modified lowers, have your spindle machined to accept a toyota hub and rotor. Search www.infamousnisssan.com for more info on converting a hard body suspension to 5 lug. Cutting and welding really not required.

It's a truck, not a race car. There are only two good uses for trucks, either use it as a truck, or lay it on the rockers.

Wow thanks! Im trying to go for an JDM look. Idk if you sen the orange one thats on youtube. Ill post the video up. I believe some of you have already seen it. And im going 5 lug so i have a better wheel selection!:D

Damn, that copper 620 is a bad sum b!tch!!! here is the IRS from my 82 toyota pick up. its dirty from sitting under trees for 16 years. it is a really good upgrade from the stock solid rear axle. especially if you like to bang corners and drive aggressively. it would be well worth it. if you have basic skills, get help to do it. if you have no skills, just pay to have it done... my $.02

supratruckrearsusp.jpg

Jan102009-VID00066-1.jpg

Damn, that copper 620 is a bad sum b!tch!!! here is the IRS from my 82 toyota pick up. its dirty from sitting under trees for 16 years. it is a really good upgrade from the stock solid rear axle. especially if you like to bang corners and drive aggressively. it would be well worth it. if you have basic skills, get help to do it. if you have no skills, just pay to have it done... my $.02

supratruckrearsusp.jpg

Jan102009-VID00066-1.jpg

That IRS axle looks like its off an MK3 supra. Looks nice!:cool: I wanted to do a 350z IRS to keep it all nissan but they look weak thats the reason i had the C4 vette in mind.:D

I think the reason most are trying to keep you reigned in is because they don't want to see anther Datsun go to the scrap yard after you realize that your idea of a IRS rearend is WAY beyond your available money, skills or time. Please don't take that as an insult. It's just a fact. It will take ALL THREE of those things to accomplish what you want. There is a gentleman here that has the most veiwed and posted on project here. It's a 1966 Datsun 520 with a few Miata parts. If you want to do A LOT of reading, this will give you an idea of what your looking at getting yourself into. Don't just skip around either, READ IT ALL! Keep in mind the money,skills and time Bob invested in making this a reality.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have put an IRS in my last 620. I just didn't have the time or money.

Good luck with your build and keep the pictures coming.

And when you are done with your IRS swap, I will be glad to race you with my solid rear axle and six lugsnuts through any set of corners that you choose.

Really, most of us here on Ratsun have seen way too many people get way over their heads in a project that they did not have the skils, tim, or money to complete. Get that little truck running(L20b) and enjoy it for a while before you get over your head and swear to never own another Datsun money pit.

Guest DatsuNoob

I hope you didn't have me in mind there Jason :D :lol: Life got in the way of my stuff for a while. You just gotta be stubborn enough to see it through, and always remember, what you lack in skill, there's always some asshole out there more than happy to trade you good money for his. :D

I hope you didn't have me in mind there Jason :D :lol: Life got in the way of my stuff for a while. You just gotta be stubborn enough to see it through, and always remember, what you lack in skill, there's always some asshole out there more than happy to trade you good money for his. :D

... ain't that the fuckin truth!

If you really want to have a "JDM" looking 620, get some "sick JDM" 6-lug wheels: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18326-crazy-cool-jdm-truck-wheels/ <This thread is all about cool JDM 6-lug wheels.

Spend the coin and get yourself a set of wheels like that, and get the truck running, driving, and looking decent (but not in that order).