New here

Hello, I'm new to the forum and pretty much to Datsuns, but my very first Datsun was a awesome 1971 510 with a Borg Warner auto tranny that I bought for $50.00 in Arkansas, I was like 22 and didnt know the jewel I had in my hands, but I did get plenty of chicks with it, it had no bumpers and the light blue paint was fading, but before i blew the engine racing a friend of mine in his camaro, and beating him, i had lots of fun on the back roads ( in Arkansas they're all back roads, hehehe) and on the dirt roads. Anyway im older and wiser now ( well not according to my wife) and just got my hands on a sweet 1978 810 wagon, with a L24 and a 4 speed tranny, I dont know what all im gonna try to do to it, but im glad i found u guys, I know that first thing i gotta do is the oil pump cuz my pressure is waaaaay low, after that i think i will tackle a tuneup, nothing major, plugs, wires, rotor distribuitor, a oil change and all that, so, anyway, im glad i found this place and i hope u guys dont mind me bugging u with lots of questions.

Pedro

Vegas810

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know the pressure is low?

As stated the bearings are likely worn. If you aren't ready to change them yet, replace the stock pump with a high volume unit from D-21 Hardbody with either a Z24i or KA24E or KA24DE motor. Can't say enough good things about them. My old L20B had 300,000Km on it and although it ran great and didn't burn oil, the hot idle oil pressure was about 17 lbs. With nothing but a used KA24E from the wreckers the hot oil pressure at idle jumped to 29 lbs.

thanks for the advice guys, i will check on those other things, i knew i came to the right place for advice, i will post pics as soon as i figure out how to, my friend who works on vw's heard my engine knockin and said not enuff oil is being sent to the top, and the gauge hardly goes up to 30 when the engine is idling, i also have this idea of going from efi to carbs, any ideas on that and about how much it would cost?

Welcome to Ratsun :cool:

the 2 pumps I usually run for higher volume is the KA24 pump and the L28et pump

but like they said could be more than that, when you do your tune up make sure your adjust the valves too.

they naturally tick a little bit but having a sewing machine under there isnt a good sound :lol:

save this incase you do a oil pump swap.

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000024223/Hainz-Datsun-L-Series-Engine-01-Timing-Tare-down-and-Rebuild

run 20/50 oil and mayeb get a hi volume pump.

but I dont think to worry about it too much.

Just make sure you dont run it out of oil than worrying about low pressure being low.

My rig seems depending on idle speed can be 20psi on HOT days.

Cold I usually get a about 35/40psi @idle

so... u guys see potential here? i do but my wife said i was crazy lol

p_00063.jpg

p_00058.jpg

p_00059.jpg

p_00060.jpg

p_00062.jpg

p_00086.jpg

p_00077.jpg

p_00075.jpg

the speakers still work!! lol

p_00070.jpg

I dont know what the meter in the picture is for but is attached to the intake and it works i just dont know what is doing, need help with that one, also, if u guys notice im missing the windshield trim, anyone know where to find it? maybe one of u have it and is willing to part with it?

Another issue im having is that when im driving it kind of bugs down before it takes off, is that a timing issue? Im not a total idiot about cars, but haven't spent a lot on older cars and the no computer to tell me whats wrong is kinda slowing me down.

Anyway, thanks for your support and wednesday im gonna insure it and get a movement permit so i can start driving it around.