62 312 Bluebird gets a roof rack

I started making a roof rack for a friends 62 Bluebird today. I packed all my tools & drove to L.A. & spent all day there. Got it about 50% done...not bad considering it took me 2 1/2 weeks to build the rack on my wagon. It will be powder coated red & i have something id like to do different with the wood slats. Ok the pix.......

120p9h2.jpg

2hedp3d.jpg

333wsw3.jpg

opmfmg.jpg

fuau1j.jpg

9gkm1i.jpg

In the coming days ill be dressing all the welds so it all looks to be 1 piece.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mike- TY sir, a compliment from you is huge!

Steve- yeah ill save up & buy a bender..ty for the link.

Freekwonder- Ive made the entire rack from scratch..it's all in my brain :geek:

Gary- TY...i hope so. I should be delivering this week & ill get some on the car pix.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike- TY sir, a compliment from you is huge!

Steve- yeah ill save up & buy a bender..ty for the link.

Freekwonder- Ive made the entire rack from scratch..it's all in my brain :geek:

Gary- TY...i hope so. I should be delivering this week & ill get some on the car pix.

Well, it's beautiful man, it's inspiring me to build one.

Very nice. But whatcha gonna put on that roof? Don't dent that roof in, too cool of a car to have to be fixin on it.

The rack has 4 "feet" which are solid tubing. They rest in the rain gutter & then the clamp goes under the gutter & gets bolted on to a bolt thats welded onto the rack. I also coated the "feet" with plasti-dip so it wont wear out the paint.

TY my friend. A 510 rack would be easier in my opinion..less curves. I say go for it :D

I'm going to talk to my friend about it, he loves fabricating stuff, and welds for a living (I'm still below a novice lol), Got any pointers?

I'm thinking with the rain clamps we can just get flat stock and bend it into an L shape with an elongated hole in in the side, then a round piece to sit in the rain channel, then build the tube frame off of the piece in the rain channel, and it can be secured with a bolt/wing nut set up going through the flack stock to the tube frame?