tilt hood

herculesinwyoming

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early Couriers 72-77 had reverse open hood. Looks kinda cool but take from me it makes working on them a pain in the keister.

i have had my buick with forward hood since 97, never had any issues, i guess radiator change may be a pain. but other wise it has been dandy

Guest DatsuNoob

Why bother? The stock rear tilt hood makes it easier to work on.

True. Saw an old azz Mazda p/u a while back that had the front tilt hood and loved it, so I thought about doing that to my 620 as well. Then I bought a Z and needed to work on the front area of the motor. Pain in the padded ass! Looks cool, but not so cool from an accessibility standpoint IMO.

I did this mod on my Hardbody using the Le sabre hinge. Had to cut & narrow the center bar & sink the hinge mounting points 1 inch below the fender mounting points so the hood will shut / latch. Not a hard mod to do & working on my engine is'nt any more difficult than before.

ecshow406lowfront.jpg

hoodmod1.jpg

hoodmod2-.jpg

Mini Truckin' did a tech article with Brian Jendro from the Chop Shop on how to do this. They did it on a Toyota with a kit from a company out of OK, I believe. I will see if I still have the magazine.

Id like to see that article.

If anybody wants to do this mod i can walk you through it & post more pics if need be. No need for a "kit" it can be done with basic tools & a welder.

• 2 weeks later...

pac, you and i both know how easy it is to do, and yes the buick lesabre hinge works best, i have done many reverse tilt hoods in my day, and the best is buick lesabre, but i have been eyeing the early courier hinges, i found one at the ecology and i may go back this week and get the hinges, hmmm, have also been eyeing the early celica(70's), they too have the reverse hood hinge set up... :cool:

TY Jersey. The Chop shop was a shop here in San diego..flashback :rolleyes:

You're welcome Mark! I had Brian do all the work on my '93 Xtra Cab back in '98...the suicide doors he did after he left the Chop Shop and went to work for Master Image Customs.

ScannedImage003_003_003-1.jpg

71-1.jpg

ScannedImage002_002_002.jpg

• 1 year later...

no do mine first ....memememememememe!!!! I want that done to my truck I think it would be cool..... I nevr realized it was all tht easy...

And what you going to do Mark,,, I know make it a Lambo hood.... :rofl: So post up pics as you do yet anothr cool mod on your truck :thumbup: