The gobstopper 68 2 door

Icehouse

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JON, how did you come up with this number? I always assume an L makes about 100hp on a good day. Not saying it's wrong I figure it differently and may be leaving something out that should be included.

If air pressure is 14.69 PSI at sea level we could assume it's about that near wolfman's in the Seattle area. In theory a 14.69 boost pressure should double an engine's output. This assumes that cylinder filling is linear and doubles with doubling of air pressure even though twice as much air goes through the same size intake ports, manifold and valves and should be restrictive as flow increases. If so 7 pounds would be just under a 50% (47.6% actually) increase over stock output. Or roughly 50 hp more.

Jeff, could the seal in the turbo be leaking?

Just something I observed one time.

It hasn't really smoked much since the first couple days, still stinks but I haven't really tried to fix that problem yet. If I keep out of the boost it doesn't really smell at all. All I can guess is that the crank builds some pressure under boost which then vents out into my engine bay then runs through all the holes in my firewall :)

Under boost there will be no manifold vacuum and maximum blow-by. Obviously the PCV valve won't be working to recirculating any fumes. Normally this reverses flow out the valve cover breather and into the air filter cover and gets sucked into the carb. If you have the tiny blue filter on the valve cover hose end, try running a longer hose and mount it down by the clutch slave so that escaping fumes blow under the car.

Mike I don't have a filter or anything on the crank case or valve cover breather. I need to try and T them together and sneek them under the car. That along with filling all the holes in my fire wall. At night it's like a wall of cold air coming in from under the dash :)

any updates? (bump)

UMMM Driving it daily. Got stuck in some super bad traffic the other day. Noticed that the smoke at idle happens every 15 minutes for about 30 seconds, then clears right up for another 15 minutes. Seems kinda weird but whatever :) Runs good pulls hard and is pretty fun to drive. I have a big needs list, but what Datsun doesn't :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mike I don't have a filter or anything on the crank case or valve cover breather. I need to try and T them together and sneek them under the car. That along with filling all the holes in my fire wall. At night it's like a wall of cold air coming in from under the dash :)

A "pan-evac" system should work (produce vacuum at all intake manifold pressures). Prior to a rebuild, I did this for a car as blowby became a problem that almost KILLED me (with CO carbon monoxide).

It's something suggested by a wise drag-racer friend. It's popular with the mongo cube engines as a "negative crankcase system" to improve horsepower.

Essentially:

1. Take whatever you want to vent (like, for common instance, the valve cover elbow)

2. Connect it (via appropriate tube) to the EXHAUST!!!*

3. As long as this is just downstream of your turbo (and dump pipe if using an external wastegate) there is always "flow" down this tube.

4. Take a small section of tubing (1" weldable plumbers pipe works well) weld it in to your exhaust******

BUT THIS PART IS IMPORTANT~

Weld it in at a 45 degree angle (or so) so instead of a perpindicular intersection, like most bungs, about 1/4" of the tube you've welded in points "downstream" in the exhaust flow. This creates a venturi which produces virtually constant vacuum, and a vacuum which should be greater than intake pressures. That last part is what I'm not sure about with a turbo, but again, it works well with N/A.

Given that a turbo get's all the energy from the exhaust flow to compress the intake charge, taking vacuum from the exhaust charge should work...

He he, I say should.

Those wiser than I should chime in..

Guest kamakazi620

You actually drive the dime in the snow? Don't crash it!

Thats why ya build 'um!!!!!!!! to DRIVE not to wipe wit diaper YO!!!!!!!!!! ima drive ma goon in da snow YO!!!!!! whats the point if ya DON'T drive it??????

• 4 years later...

UPDATE:

The turbo L series decided to stop feeding the head oil pressure.....  It was cool to take it apart and see that after over the coarse of it's life added with over a year of daily driving on cheap pump gas the pistons looked perfect!  I couldn't believe it, 8 lbs of boost the whole time too!  

Since the cars needed a motor and other work done I've decided like I normally do that a simple fix is just way to easy :)   So to make it a bit more of a challenge I picked this baby up!!  400hp daily YO!  

The smaller motor is a 2011 Nissan leaf motor which isn't quite a fair comparison, it doesn't have the inverter hooked to it.  

IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5593.JPG

IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

• Like 1