The gobstopper 68 2 door

Icehouse

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DAMN!!!! She runs like a striped ass ape!!! The only problem is she now (or may have also before) smokes at idle sometimes :( A good buddy said he thinks rings... Wish it was valve guide seals, so much easier to fix... I'll get some new pics tomorrow.

DAMN!!!! She runs like a striped ass ape!!! The only problem is she now (or may have also before) smokes at idle sometimes :( A good buddy said he thinks rings... Wish it was valve guide seals, so much easier to fix... I'll get some new pics tomorrow.

It smoke before? Maybe running rich?

It smoke before? Maybe running rich?

I got it tuned really well, about 16ish at idle, doesn't stink like fuel at all, which it is amazing what EFI can do to an L series! It does have a burnt oil smell at idle even if you don't see the smoke, it's like my S13 all over again.... I'm not sure if it smoked before, it did stink really really bad. Before it was such a pain just to keep it running who knows if it smoked.

I got it tuned really well, about 16ish at idle, doesn't stink like fuel at all, which it is amazing what EFI can do to an L series! It does have a burnt oil smell at idle even if you don't see the smoke, it's like my S13 all over again.... I'm not sure if it smoked before, it did stink really really bad. Before it was such a pain just to keep it running who knows if it smoked.

Oh i c.... just checking, remembering what HRH went thru with his dime. love the work so far man, you bringing this thing to canby? threads to long for me to go check, but this was just a quick paint/build right? Looks pretty damn good :D

Oh i c.... just checking, remembering what HRH went thru with his dime. love the work so far man, you bringing this thing to canby? threads to long for me to go check, but this was just a quick paint/build right? Looks pretty damn good :D

Yeah it took me a week to get the EFI sorted. It's always a simple fix, just finding the problem is tough... If it's running during the Canby month :)

Thinking about swapping a rebuilt head just to see what happens, do you think it's worth it? Or in your opinion is it the rings?

Yeah it took me a week to get the EFI sorted. It's always a simple fix, just finding the problem is tough... If it's running during the Canby month :)

Thinking about swapping a rebuilt head just to see what happens, do you think it's worth it? Or in your opinion is it the rings?

Well, a head gasket is 20 bucks, and less time to fix. Do you have a little spare time to swap heads and check it? but if its wrong, do you ahve time to pull the motor and hone/change rings? If not, maybe pull the motor and replace rings & head @ same time.

Id check valves to make sure they are adjusted correctly, then swap heads. But im a noob tbh. As far as the ? earlier, i meant the whole car. seems like this was just a quick tear down/paint/ throw together car. and it looks amazing

Well, an L-20 with 7+ pounds should make 175hp and 200+ish torque at the wheels

JON, how did you come up with this number? I always assume an L makes about 100hp on a good day. Not saying it's wrong I figure it differently and may be leaving something out that should be included.

If air pressure is 14.69 PSI at sea level we could assume it's about that near wolfman's in the Seattle area. In theory a 14.69 boost pressure should double an engine's output. This assumes that cylinder filling is linear and doubles with doubling of air pressure even though twice as much air goes through the same size intake ports, manifold and valves and should be restrictive as flow increases. If so 7 pounds would be just under a 50% (47.6% actually) increase over stock output. Or roughly 50 hp more.

Jeff, could the seal in the turbo be leaking?

JON, how did you come up with this number? I always assume an L makes about 100hp on a good day. Not saying it's wrong I figure it differently and may be leaving something out that should be included.

If air pressure is 14.69 PSI at sea level we could assume it's about that near wolfman's in the Seattle area. In theory a 14.69 boost pressure should double an engine's output. This assumes that cylinder filling is linear and doubles with doubling of air pressure even though twice as much air goes through the same size intake ports, manifold and valves and should be restrictive as flow increases. If so 7 pounds would be just under a 50% (47.6% actually) increase over stock output. Or roughly 50 hp more.

Jeff, could the seal in the turbo be leaking?

I am with Mike and Dislexsick (did I misspell that? hehehe - linguistic pun intended) - The turbo's oil seal could very well be the problem. The last time I used that turbo, which was very little, was about 19 or 20 years ago. After that, it simply sat on a shelf, oiled and sealed, waiting for its next opportunity. In other words, it is an unknown.

To be specific, the turbo is a Schwitzer 3LD-168/0.68 and it's best efficiency island is about 65% (from what I remember).

A turbo with identical specs was mounted on James' green 510 that lots of you guys have seen. James' car made an observed 185HP at the wheels with that turbo along with the initial turbo setup: L18, U67 head, 280/256 cam, blow-through (Weber DGAV32/36), small intercooler, 2.5" exhaust to the back.

The injectors in the setup Jeff has are Bosch 0-280-150-007, and have a static flow around 340cc/min, so the fueling limit is around 200HP. It is entirely possible for that setup to make somewhere in the vicinity of 180HP, but that turbo probably won't flow much past that. So be it - give it one last kick at the can. If it is done and played out, give the core to Keith Law for his safety spares of rebuildable things (he runs a different spec of Schwitzer 3LD on his red 510)

Back to the actual topic at hand - Jeff, the car looks rad in text, but we want to see pictures!!!

Well I guess I could get a vid of it smoking for you guys, kinda sucks, when I go to work it's dark and when I get off it's dark. Not good for making vids, got to work this weekend as well :( I will try and get one soon though. I'm going to drive it for a while regardless if it smokes, shit I'm kinda like James Bond, no one can follow me :) Once I get the tranny cover on so the stink stops coming in the car it will be much better to drive :) I have a U67 head thats going to the machine shop. If that doesn't fix the smoking problem I going to up the boost and teach those rings a thing or 2 :)

Hey Icehouse, what's the deal on those Exhaust manifold flanges that JesusNo posted? You making them? You wanna share the dxf/CAD file so I can make myself one? Or can he share the file/make us some?

I'd appreciate it. If not that's fine, I can model it myself, just don't want to if I don't have to.

Also, gorgeous car. I've been thinking about building a turbo car in pretty much the same way for a while. Nice to see it actually works.

Also, I think the dash center section I got recently came from one of your co-workers/friends/something. I don't know, the guy mentioned you, but I don't remember what the tie-in was.