U67 head

wayno

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an old guy hang 510, what does "AFAIK" mean. I have one(U67) on a 1980 datsun 4X4 with a L20B, and another one on a L16 from a 1970 521, I am so confused.:unsure: wayno

Wayno, as far as i can tell the U67 heads came on L20's, so the 70 521 has had a head swap at some point.

AFAIK = As far as I know.

Thankyou very much h2theizzo, very enlightening, as it turns out I have a W58 closed chamber head with round ex. ports, is it good for anything being it is one of the rare exceptions supposedly. Thanks again. wayno

Are you sure yours is a closed chamber w58? I have a W58 on my 1980 720, there are open and closed chambers, i highly doubt mine is closed chamber... they are a lil more rare.

Early L20Bs ('75ish) sometimes had the open A87 head but usually were square port U-67 up until '77. '78 and up were round port W-58 with liners. I did have a peanut W-58 head, so they are out there. I saved from being destroyed for the aluminum and the tag said 200sx. I've checked and the '78-'79 200sx uses the same part number, W-58 head as the 620 truck. My theory is that the head was replaced under warranty by the dealer and this was intentionally or accidentally put on it. Lots of JDM L20B were imported too. A closed chamber on an L20B gives 8.9 compression. Hardly noticeable with '79 gas.

L16 always used number heads like 210, 219. L18 were likely A87s.

I'm not aware that one head is prone to cracking or leaking oil into the cooling system.

I do beleave that this is a closed chamber head(peanut), but it is a round exhaust port head, it came off a 1980 datsun 720KC, the cab I used to make my 720 dually. I was mistaken earlier about my work truck head, it is a W53 peanut head that I had 260 Z valves put in it and had the intake ported to match the SU intake manifold. Back to the W58, is it good for anything, that head ID site said that the head was poorly designed for flow. wayno

DSCN0551.jpg

DSCN0550.jpg

There's nothing wrong with a W58 head, smog or not. Most don't like the cylinder liners and round ports, but if you remove the steel liners, you have to have MAJOR air flow to make use of the head. Race motor airflow. If you're just building a street motor, leave it in, it helps emissions, burns more deposits. If it's a closed chamber, you're already there with high compression but you can't go much larger than 2.0 liter or you may have excessive compression in which case you'll need water/methanol injection or something to curb detonation.

If you have both, use the square port over the round port. The square port also shouldn't have the liners, but good flow, though not excessive flow.

"These heads don't flow well and are avoided for high-performance applications."

Exhaust is under extreme pressure, it wants OUT! Those liners aren't going to stop it. Only when the motor is really revved up is the flow going to matter. I took the ones I had out. Lot of work, I doubt you could tell the difference.

• 2 weeks later...