Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have a garage. I think the cold, and well running at 150% all day made me not enthusiastic about working on my suspension. All I can say is, FUCK FORD.

Anyways, I have a wiring issue I found out. Sometimes my reverse lights start blinking with the right turn signal, and makes a mess of the lights. Like the running lights go dim as well.

I think it might be an issue in the wiring at the right taillight, as when I tapped the lens, it started acting normal.

Definitely in the right housing somewhere. I unplugged the right housing, and volt tested the 3 wires. Only the appropriate wire had power. Now to figure out whats going on with the housing.

What else I know;

Lights off, turn signal and reverse lights blink in unison.

Lights on, turn signal and reverse lights blink oppositely.

Removal of the right reverse bulb disables the right blinker, or at least at the back, didnt check the dash or front.

Got all my shocks. Illuminas for the front. Part number BZ3038. These are listed for both ZX and 510 struts, 510 struts will use a spacer though. Rear I got KYB Excel-G, part number 343135. I was tempted to get some AGX for the rear but I dont know what I am doing with the rear.

Now if it wasnt so damn cold to put these on.

You have the part number for a suitable AGX rear shocks for wagon?

YAY, finally done with installing the Illuminas. I have set them to level 2, Ill try others and see how I like them driving around, passively of course.

I hate having to ever compress springs, just something about it. Even at work with a nice spring compressor, I just hate it. Anyways so pics, and a picture of another goodie I got.

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

My kitty likes to help out

IMG_0750.JPG

KA24e oil pump, new!

IMG_0751.JPG

I think I will do the rear shocks tomorrow, they should be fast to install.

One thing I do know, the old shocks in the front were definitely worn.

Oh and I found the source of a stupid sound I kept hearing. There was this click/thud sound, that happened over bumps, but even at rough idle. I then discovered I could stop it if I held the stick all the way left or right. So I looked under the car, and I found one of the bolts that hold the tranny to the isolator was not in anymore. All better now.

You have the part number for a suitable AGX rear shocks for wagon?

I know Stupid_Fast just used the rear shocks for a sedan in his wagon. The wagon and sedan shocks have the same mounts on them.

why did it take me this long to find your build thread, its in your damn sig :confused:

27 pages later im caught up! love that air cleaner man :thumbup:

I dont know man, but now you have found it, so now you can stay current with what I do!

And thanks!

so i just found the same link in your sig (the link to this thread) in someone elses sig from california....someone named angela..? haha i thought it was kinda odd. like the air cleaner jake. i wish i had shocks... haha. i need to come back up sometime, or you should come down here and give my buddy and i a hand with his 510, hes putting in a new wiring harness soon. anyways, lookin good!

Odd, where was this thread? I dont know anyone named angela...

Oh figured it out... Here on Ratsun... Angela is just some random Goon owner making a nice goon from the 1 picture I saw. Apparently she liked the pixel car in my signature, so she simply copy and pasted it to her signature, link and all... Maybe I should send her a PM...

Yea, we should talk....

Stub stacks came in today. Sure look nice. And they gave to different size allen cap bolts to use.

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

And anyone know what the tube on the right is? Its blocked off, and every picture I have found of these carbs, if it has this piece, its blocked off.

IMG_0756.JPG

So you decided to purchase a set of stacks now? Would have been nice to know, so that I didn't start making a set once you asked me...

Wait, I never even got back to you after you asked me of which style...

What style did you even start making?

Last thing I got from you was "Let me see what my shop schedule is for the machine I would need to make these and Ill get back to you. Whats your timeline like on these?"

Price was never discussed, we never settled on a style, you never said you found time for that machine. I sorta figured it fizzled out. I had no idea you started on them...

Im gonna PM you now.

Odd, where was this thread? I dont know anyone named angela...

Oh figured it out... Here on Ratsun... Angela is just some random Goon owner making a nice goon from the 1 picture I saw. Apparently she liked the pixel car in my signature, so she simply copy and pasted it to her signature, link and all... Maybe I should send her a PM...

Yea, we should talk....

i sold here a roof rack shes new to datsun seen....

Replied. I guess in my haste of small lunch break and limited shitty service at work, my above post was a little terse and came across harsh. Not meant to be... all is well man. :hug:

drink some coffee grumpy shheeesshh

• 2 weeks later...

That fitting is a return line back to the tank. I initially removed this fitting but after replacing my fuel pump with a brand new factory unit, found out it was putting out a hair too much pressure and was causing over flow/flooding issues. Hooked up the fitting and it fixed the problem.

Joel

So today was the day. Some things I still need to finish, and some things I need to redo...

Pulled off my Offy and Weber pretty quickly. And slapped the SU intake on. Went to put on the heat shield, and it wouldnt clear the vacuum advance on the dizzy so I bent it.

Got the carbs on, and prepped everything. Added oil to the top, loosened the linkages, and put the idle nuts in sync. Ran some fuel line.

Went to start the car, and it just would not start. Looked under the hood to see lots of gas from the rear carb, but it was obvious where it was leaking from (something I have no idea what it is) and I fixed that. Then tried again. After probably about 30 seconds of cranking, it started to sputter. And then the sputtering turned to 5-10 seconds of "running". Richened up the idle a bit more, and bam it idled!

Well then it was just waiting for the engine to warm up so I could sync the carbs. Went through all of that and got the carbs responding quite well.

One thing I noticed after putting the carbs on. The throttle linkage on my car was spinning the opposite direction the SU linkage wanted. So I took the linkage out, and heated it red hot, and twisted it about 15 degrees. This flipped the direction the throttle linkage rotated the bar. I think I need to twist it another degree or 2 for a more even pedal feel.

Got my filter on. And took the car for a test drive. Definitely need to twist the throttle linkage a bit more. First impression it was quicker. Second impression, I need a cam.

I got some choke cables from DTP from a Z car. Went to put them on, but the cables are binding a bit much, and I think I will need to over haul that (I tried running some TriFlow through the cables and it helped a bit, but I think I will end up using bicycle brake housings and cable.

And the Filter I spent so much time on is a bust. It cracked on the first drive. Oh well. Time to make one out of metal.

The sound, its definitely different. They have a deeper sound than the Weber, but I dont know which would be more throaty. I do like the sound though, and just cruising they a pretty mellow, I will have to see on the freeway though.

The plugged hose on the right is what leaked. I have no idea what that port is... maybe fuel return?

IMG_0756.JPG

Made some gaskets

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG